Where'd my SU-25T go?

Can anyone explain to me why I can no longer access the SU-25T all of a sudden in FC? I haven't changed a thing to my PC or FC except for a few driver upgrades recently (X800XT & Catalyst 5.6).

My guess is that Starforce simply removed the SU-25T because it didn't like my upgrading graphics drivers. But should it do this?

Any help?

No idea what's caused your issue with the 25T, but the Starforce comment is ridiculous. Whether it's a poor CP progrmam or not is debateable, but the idea of it being able to remove a certain part of a program is pure paranoia.

I suggest you calm down and post a few more details. Is the 25T available as an AI aircraft for example.

Strikes me from the limited info you've given that you've done something to corrupt a file. Had a system crash while running FC for example. Best bet will probably be to reinstall FC.

Actually I'm quite calm; in fact, I just got me some ice cream and enjoyed it rather much - very calming. And you're probably right about having to reinstall, but it seems odd that I would need to do that when nothing has changed with a perfectly working install of FC, save for the mysterious disappearance of the SU-25T.

And why would it seem odd that Starforce would remove the Starforce-protected portions of Lomac if it suspected it was suddenly running on a different configuration? This is reasonable thinking IMHO (inaccurate perhaps, but reasonable: for example, some demos allow you full function until a time limit is reached, then certain features are then removed). Now, the black helicopters silently hovering over the trees in my backyard do have me concerned and may indeed constitute paranoia - but that's another issue.

Also, no the SU-25T is not available as an AI plane either. That's how I discovered it was missing, because I had it set as an AI target in a custom mission and noticed its absence earlier when I ran that mission. Also, I've never had FC to crash on me since I've installed it. Also, how do I get a corrupted file when I have not manipulated any files?

Any more help?

Update: well, it appears your corrupted-file theory was spot-on. I started replacing folders with a backed-up burning I made, and everything went swimmingly after replacing the ME folder. Thanks for the feed-back, but look into reducing the caffeine. ;)

And why would it seem odd that Starforce would remove the Starforce-protected portions of Lomac if it suspected it was suddenly running on a different configuration? This is reasonable thinking IMHO.

Starforce protects the entire FC install - not just the SU-25T.

FC includes a whole lot more than just the SU-25T and your comments didnt make it clear as to what was and was not still working in the game. It's also unlikely that changing any software drivers would trigger StarForce to require a new activation which is what Starforce would do instead of "removing" just the Su-25T.

So I have to agree with Jester_159th's comment even if it could have been more politely stated (even if he did get it spot on).

Glad to hear you took his advice, solved the problem and that you're up and flying again.

Update: well, it appears your corrupted-file theory was spot-on. I started replacing folders with a backed-up burning I made, and everything went swimmingly after replacing the ME folder. Thanks for the feed-back, but look into reducing the caffeine. ;)

Strafer,

Are you absolutely sure you didnt install any mods... of any kind? :)

If you install a mod to V1.1 that was:

a). made for V1.02 and..

b) includes a modified MEinit.xml file

..then you will get the V1.02 plane set in FC - i.e. the Su-25T will dissapear.

- JJ.

JJ

LOL...If I reduce my caffine intake I would probably have to curl up and die! My wife's on a diet at the minute...which means I am as well....Whether I like it or not!!

Seriously though. Sorry if I came over a bit strong in my original post. It's just that I've seen Starforce getting blamed for everything since the whole debate started. I don't doubt that some folks have had SF related problems, and sincerely hope that at some stage they'll get their issues resolved (preferably sooner rather than later). But I do feel that the whole SF "bogey-man" is getting blown out of proportion, resulting in it becoming the first suspect of any problem from the CD drives packing up to random CTD's.

I just feel that, even with a subject some feel so strongly about, we need to keep a firm hold on reality and present a fair picture of the position. Otherwise we risk making new simmers think twice about the genre. Afterall when looking at PC gamers as a whole, we're already a fairly small minority.

Anyway. Glad to hear you got it sorted. Happy flying!