Buttkicker Gamer 2 thoughts?

I run it, and have grown accustomed to it so much that I can not fly without it.

Two sound cards are a must for a proper Buttkicker set up. A lot of tweaking is also required to get it just right. Experience wise... I have feedback from my aircraft when I am on high AOA, Air Brake out, Afterburn, Taxiing etc... Guns, Missiles... Other aircraft in close proximity... all of that adds to the immersion.

Nowadays, I feel weird if I do not have it turned on. Like that "something is wrong" feeling.

I do not use it for anything else though, as it requires a lot of tweaking and I am just too lazy to do it for other games.

Edited by Sov13t

Not me... Get my butt kicked enough by the "fun adjuster" for too much time spent on DCS. But on a serious note it may be good for the gau8 and impacts from AA but I've never experienced one to say there any good.

~~~ Win7 64bit // i5 2500K @4.2Ghz // ASUS P8P67 Pro ~~~

~~~ H50 Cooler // 12GB 1600 DDR3 // EVGA GTX580 SC ~~~

~~~ TMW // Combat Pedals // TrackIR 4 ~~~

I decided to use what i have, so i took an old 15" sub and screwed to the back of my chair. It's powered by a bass guitar amp(mids and highs cut on the eq). Im using surround sound headphones that has an output that feeds into the bass amp. It really makes a huge difference with games, music, and movies.

Im guessing my setup is louder than an actual butt kicker(which is probably not a good thing if someone is asleep in the other room at 3:00 AM :)

Soviet,

Can you state why you reccomend two sound cards to use it fully? Can one not just use the "subwoofer out" portion of their existing sound card?

Thanks!

Voice communication becomes a big problem, whenever someone has a deep voice your "buttkicker" will go off... and thus ruin the experience. Flying... or gaming in general for that matter without Voice Comms (TS3/Vent) is something I do not do at all... no matter if it is FC2 or MineSweeper/Solitaire Tournament :megalol:....

I found using two sound cards the easiest as it pretty much splits game sounds and voice comms. Of course I then mix it into my headphones... while buttkicker is fed by a pure line out. I defined the on-board soundcard as my output source for TS3 and Vent, while my X-Fi is defined as default device by Windows and as such gets used everywhere else.

Edited by Sov13t

I too have a BK and don't fly without it anymore Sov13t's response sums up my feelings. My solution Vullcan is use a USB headset in addition to the sound card. I run all game sounds through the card and all comms thru the headset. If you have an analog headset picking up a USB adapter could help

It does take some time to tweak sound settings and speaker settings on different games since all programs are different.

The best sims that utilize BK are prop sims but DCS sims work well too. Il2 is great, you feel the rumble of the engine, firing cannons, flak, enemy fire, etc.......

In any case two sound cards seems overkill, of course any USB sound device will be seen as a second card anyways though.

EDIT: Attaching one to your sofa for movies is AMAZING too, I have to say this is where the BK shines. A good blu ray with 5.1 and BK is an experience, you feel like your landing on the beaches in Saving Private Ryan.

Edited by HitchHikingFlatlander

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Cayenne

I won't sim without it and the low frequencies in the Warthog Are freakin awesome..truly KILLER!! After a few seconds of the CBU105 doing its "thing" You can hear it and feal in the cockpit as faint distant thunder this has to be experienced!!

I find that the "lows" from this sim are so well done that it can be used as force feedback just land hard with that bitch cranked and see what I mean!!

I only use one sound card with no probs.

MoBo sound and cheap sound cards just don't have the umph!! It needs and wants a true line level signal that it CAN'T suck dry...

Please don't clip any amp for any length of time You will quickly find the weakest link in your audio chain!!

It has a High cutoff control that goes from 110 to 40 Hz that You can use to filter out low voice freqs also a low cutoff filter to avoid clipping the amp during loud low freqs. playbacks..You know the ones! over modulated rap recordings.

Subwoofer outputs can be used but they usually cutoff at freqs the ButtKicker can handle (max 110hz) We ain't moving air We are moving Your ass and the amp and transducer in this thing looks like something the WHO used for live concerts. check Your SB specs...

It includes a stereo splitter I use one for My powered speaker with headphone output, and the other goes to the BK, but here is something You need to get' a (stereo 1/8" mini male to RCA mono female) to combine both l&r signals. If not You will under modulate the input signal. You should be able to easily clip (it has a clip light) the amp with the volume knob while the windows master and all mixer volumes (relevant) are at 3/4 if not Your SB amp is inadequate I had to buy 3 SC's to figure this out. The one spec. an audio device for Your pc doesn't list is output wattage...go figure, look online The SoundBlaster cards are a good bet.<-----This may have been corrected in the newer ButtKicker.

drop a post if Ya need help cause when You get it working right......DAMN!!!

Edited by Cayenne
to add a warning

Cayenne, I recently hooked my old BK1 back up and though it works great, your post got me wondering about something.

The BK1 amp has one single RCA output jack. I plug the ground loop isolator, which incidentally has two RCA plugs, one red, one black. The other end of the ground loop isolator is a Y splitter whereas the red and black RCA plugs combine to a 1/2" banana plug and I plug this end into my headphone jack on my X-FI.

Does it matter that one of the male RCA plugs at the BK end is just there dangling, and does it matter which one I use, red or black? Everything works great and this is exactly how I had it hooked up years ago but I am curious if this is how it's supposed to be connected.

Thanks in advance,

Slam

Abit IN9 32x MAX- Kentsfield QX6700 @3520

1.5 vcore watercooled D-Tek Fuzion/PA-160/MCR120/2x MCP655

2x2GB G-Skill 1066 5-5-5-15 2T@1.9vdimm

2x EVGA 580GTX 1.5GB SLI

2x 74GB Sata Raptor Raid0

2x 320GB Hitachi Sata II

X-FI Elite Pro

Dell U3011

Lian Li V2100B

Corsair HX1000

Guest Cayenne

Slammin, Yes, I think it was originally designed for a home stereo hook up.. and the adapter I was talking about is for just for what You are describing (ahh I have to crawl under my desk #$%&(&)

It has 1 Mono RCA input.

It has a polarized banana style output to the transducer.

The hardware that they give You only allows for a single channel hookup...pick one left, or right. like You said one RCA plug dangling

Well I am very annal about fidelity especially audio, rarely do low freqs. get stereo separation even during recording (a lot do though) but your brain and ears can't distinguish left and right lows..Hence the .1 single sub woofer so its not about this at all..If You still have all the documents that came with it, it specifically says "LINE LEVEL SIGNAL ONLY!!!" well You ain't gunna find a line (level) out on a PC (some high end cards do) and if You hook this up to a speaker output there is a chance You could overmodulate the input and fry it or the transducer. Not to worry keep reading..

Ok I hope all this helps, Many people don't know this (here comes the arguments) but there are usually many amplifiers in your audio chain some people think they only have one and are surprised when I tell them NO 5 amps....and the very last one going to the speakers should be used for volume control ONLY. so my Windows mixers always stay at 5/8 to 3/4 volume this is the sweet spot for output its not over or under modulating.

I use powered speakers only on My pc's I use their volume control for.. well volume. I also use the volume knob on the BK just as much never touch the Windows and especially software volume knobs ie iTunes WinAmp...again all relevant windows mixer settings should be locked at 3/4! I wish it locked...

now I split the stereo signal one to the speakers and one to the BK witch Halves the power to each (roughly) so if the BK is using 1 channel its only getting about a 1/4 of what it wants/needs long story short get an adapter and combine the left and right signals going in to the BK.

something like this and use the RCA stereo to mono that came with the bk http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3449316 there are many gender bending stereo to mono combination's that will work.

I do home audio (high end) and home theater setups. I have done "sound" for rock/metal bands, volunteer engineering for Tulane University WTUL radio station in New Orleans, also some mixing for CD pressings and I have My own 1 watt PLL stereo synthesized transmitter I use to broadcast internet audio throughout My house and down the street....

Combine those channels, play Your favorite music CD don't use rap music for testing they boost the lows waaay too much (rap has burned more amps and speakers than everything else combined) or try DCS Warthog You should be able to get the red clip light on the BK at least around 1/2 volume maybe less, maybe more. If Your barely able to get it to clip at high volume Your input is too low. When ever You see the clip light turn it down it down You don't want to see that light

And I will tell You right now the explosions (up close) and other sounds within Warthog will easily clip Your BK amp so be careful! When You get it set right it feels like some big guy kicks Your chair really hard. And when You are ridding that GAU-8 ....well it just brings tears to my eyes she is SO sweet, bless her.

Warthog should come bundled with the ButtKicker

Guest Cayenne

should have done this first. You can see the BK cable with the ground loop isolator on it one end goes into the BK input the other end is plugged into a yellow ended RCA mono extension cord (only needed for length) and then that is plugged into the little silver RCA mono to 1/8" stereo mini (this is the part You need) and then that plugs into a 1/8" mini headphone extension cord (again for length) and then into the stereo splitter (not shown) and then into the sound card .. I forgot I did it this way to streamline it and eliminate unnecessary connections and adapters...

wires.thumb.jpg.43d6e7f26e60bf89f9ef768b1654c20c.jpg

Hi Guys, Im thinking of getting this, However I was wondering if those who use it could explain to me something. I currently use a 5.1 system for my gaming Audio, which of course all ready has a Sub connected to it, and all my speakers run from that Sub. If I get BK2 will I lose my connection to my old Sub, or can i daisy chain it through the BK. Im not sure my speakers will work unless the sub is plugged in you see.

Oh and does anyone know where this is in stock for the Uk , Damn thing seems to be rairer than rocking house Sh**

Cowboy10uk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fighter pilots make movies, Attack pilots make history, Helicopter pilots make heros.

:pilotfly: Corsair 570x Crystal Case, Intel 8700K O/clocked to 4.8ghz, 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 MHZ Ram, 2 x 1TB M2 drives, 2 x 4TB Hard Drives, Nvidia EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW, Maximus x Hero MB, H150i Cooler, 6 x Corsair LL120 RGB Fans And a bloody awful Pilot :doh:

Oh and does anyone know where this is in stock for the Uk , Damn thing seems to be rairer than rocking house Sh**

Cowboy10uk

Looks as if Flightstore sell it, not certain if their website shows live stock levels though. May be worth emailing to check before ordering. Have ordered a Track Ir from them last month, delivered next day so seem OK [not cheap though]

http://www.flightstore.co.uk/buttkicker-gamer-2.asp

Cowboy yes its compatible with 5.1, if you have 5.1 output on your PC or source it plugs into the center sub channel. I'm not sure if there is a difference but I suspect BK works better with 5.1 setups since theres a dedicated sub channel. I have Xfi fatality card with a Logitech Z-5500 speaker system one f the best 5.1 speaker sets for PC or in that price range.

I hate the world sounds in DCS with BK (not a BK issue) when your a mile above a target and the bomb hits it never seems proportionate to just flying the aircraft with the sound dialed. If I'm flying then switch to an external its outrageous loud!

Cockpit and helmet are designed to isolate so the pilot have a greater chance to hear the comm.

Anyway you can change the world com settings to your liking.

HaF 922, Asus rampage extreme 3 gene, I7 950 with Noctua D14, MSI gtx 460 hawk, G skill 1600 8gb, 1.5 giga samsung HD.

Track IR 5, Hall sensed Cougar, Hall sensed TM RCS TM Warthog(2283), TM MFD, Saitek pro combat rudder, Cougar MFD.

Guest Cayenne

Succellus, You can't hear a ButtKicker but You can FEEL it! Check the sliders on the audio tab in options I think thats what You mean...

Guest Cayenne

Hitch, Ya ever notice the difference in sound from outside to inside of a passenger jet? how do they get it so quiet ?

Hi Guys, Thanks for your answers, Sorry ive not answered back for a while, Been Flying rather a lot. :) As to my sound card and Speaker setup, to be honest its Very Poor, I use the 5.1 output from my Motherboard and Onboard sound chip and use a 5.1 Speaker setup from Cambridge Soundworks, Which I got in the mid 90's I guess. But they work ish, So never bothered to change them, All the speakers are plugged into the back of a fairly large Amp that sits under my desk. I know its an old setup, Its the one thing ive not upgraded for yrs, I spend 1000's on memory, Gpu's, Cpu's and Monitors and just move my speaker setup from one pc to another.

Its good to hear that the Buttkicker has many different ways of connecting, and I see the Shaker Center has it back in stock as of last week, SO think its time to speak nicely to the wife, AGAIN :) Think im still paying for getting the Warthog earlier this yr.

Cowboy10uk

Edit : Just looked at the Link above about the connections, not good, as it states it wont work with USB Headphones. I use these for TS3, At moment it works fine with output going to my speakers for the gaming sound and Speech going to my Headphones. Is anyone running a similar setup with BK2, would like to know if it will work or not. I need to keep my voice comms seperate.

Edited by Cowboy10uk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fighter pilots make movies, Attack pilots make history, Helicopter pilots make heros.

:pilotfly: Corsair 570x Crystal Case, Intel 8700K O/clocked to 4.8ghz, 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 MHZ Ram, 2 x 1TB M2 drives, 2 x 4TB Hard Drives, Nvidia EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW, Maximus x Hero MB, H150i Cooler, 6 x Corsair LL120 RGB Fans And a bloody awful Pilot :doh:

Guest Cayenne

As long as You have an analog audio output that You can separate from TS3 than Your good to go...it sounds like you do. The BK is just a sub woofer with no speaker cone and the voice coil is hooked to your chair. If You can hook-up ANY analog speaker to Your pc You can hook up a BK...

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys.

Just got my BK gamer2 last night and I love it. I have a question that may be you guys can help with. Does DCS A10c WH only output audio on two channels (left and right front)? The reason I am asking is I don't recive a signal to the BK from any other source. On my 5.1 sound card. If not please tell me what I am missing on the Sub channel output thing. Do I have a setting wrong or what.

Thanks

Hammer97 / Hendo97

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Processor Intel®I7 950, 3.06 Mhz, 4 Core(s)/

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit/ Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB/ HD 6870 1GB DDR5/ 750w PSU/T IR 4/TH Warthog

Hi guys.

Just got my BK gamer2 last night and I love it. I have a question that may be you guys can help with. Does DCS A10c WH only output audio on two channels (left and right front)? The reason I am asking is I don't recive a signal to the BK from any other source. On my 5.1 sound card. If not please tell me what I am missing on the Sub channel output thing. Do I have a setting wrong or what.

Thanks

it's not just you, it's the DCS A-10C sound engine

read here:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=70534

and here:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=62822

No longer active in DCS...