Hope for another FC2 compatibility patch

Hi Boberro,

Ever since the latest FC2 & BS patches back in May I get CTD's after flying for ~45-50 minutes on crowded MP servers due to that pesky memory handling issue that somehow got introduced with the patches!

No need to tell that it sucks to be greeted with a CTD after spending 40+ minutes making my way to a good attack position in the Ka-50.

Unfortunately, until I can get FC2/BS working I'm holding off to buy DCS: A-10C and really hope ED can find a solution to this.

/KC

Whats your system like KC and does the CTD give an error?

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Boberro,

Ever since the latest FC2 & BS patches back in May I get CTD's after flying for ~45-50 minutes on crowded MP servers due to that pesky memory handling issue that somehow got introduced with the patches!

No need to tell that it sucks to be greeted with a CTD after spending 40+ minutes making my way to a good attack position in the Ka-50.

Unfortunately, until I can get FC2/BS working I'm holding off to buy DCS: A-10C and really hope ED can find a solution to this.

/KC

32bit OS?

See my sig.

Nate

Whats your system like KC and does the CTD give an error?

Insanatrix, thanks for your interest! You can find all my details and efforts to find a solution or workaround in the following threads...

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=54162

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=53874

I know moving to 64-bit OS is solving this but my gaming rig will run Windows XP 32-bit for quite some time due to drivers for my HOTAS etc. so 64-bit is not an option for me.

32bit OS?

See my sig.

Yes, and I tried the /3GB switch long time ago but unfortunately it did not solve it for me. Also tried with various /USERVA=xxxx values but only difference for me when using the /3G switch is that instead of CTD FC2/BS completely freezes instead.

Edit: To stay on-topic in this thread and not de-rail it further please provide any ideas, tips etc. to my (and others) memory handling issue in threads linked above, now back OT and why FC2/BS/A-10C/DCS:Next compability is a good thing ;)

/KC

Edited by KeyCat

Fantastic news!!!! New graphic engine, new AI routines, new ME features, new models, new mission generator, enhanced map - all great goodies for FC2. Many people here talk about online problems with simplified FC2 aircraft, but there is still a big majority flying the sim offline and this patch will bring fantastic upgrades for FC2 in offline area.

Really - useless. I appreciate the ED work, I love FC2. We all do. But we're enhancing a product which doesn't need enhancement, but fixing. The core FC2-code, I'm sure here until proven otherwise, will get no overhaul - which means all the bugs which drives the FC- and FC2-community mad since years (like HSI in air combat modes...) won't be touched, because to miss-quote "it's core code". So - you're great, ED, and I know it's also a bit marketing, but please - invest the 3-4 month worktime into the dcs-series only OR touch the holy core code. We're begging you all, I believe.

There's no "Overkill". There's only "open fire!" and "time to reload".

Specs: i7-980@4,2Ghz, 12GB RAM, 2x GTX480, 1x 8800GTS, X-Fi HD, Cougar, Warthog, dcs-F16-pedals

Really - useless. I appreciate the ED work, I love FC2. We all do. But we're enhancing a product which doesn't need enhancement, but fixing. The core FC2-code, I'm sure here until proven otherwise, will get no overhaul - which means all the bugs which drives the FC- and FC2-community mad since years (like HSI in air combat modes...) won't be touched, because to miss-quote "it's core code". So - you're great, ED, and I know it's also a bit marketing, but please - invest the 3-4 month worktime into the dcs-series only OR touch the holy core code. We're begging you all, I believe.

AFAIK FC2 has not just the same graphics, but the same "core", the TFCSE (The Fighter Collection Simulator Engine) as in DCS:Ka-50. Only DCS:A-10C has a newer version because, well, it's newer XD

When the compatibility patch hits, all of them will have the same version, again, afaik.

AMD Ryzen 1400 // 16 GB DDR4 2933Mhz // Nvidia 1060 6GB // W10 64bit // Microsoft Sidewinder Precision 2

But FC will have the same bugs before the compatibility patch with DCS:BS. ED didn't solved the bugs with FC 2.0 ... on the other hand, a few bugs were "added". I think it will be the same with a next FC patch ... new features and old - maybe some new - bugs included.

kind regards,

Fire

Hardware: Intel i5 4670K | Zalman NPS9900MAX | GeIL 16GB @1333MHz | Asrock Z97 Pro4 | Sapphire Radeon R9 380X Nitro | Samsung SSDs 840 series 120GB & 250 GB | Samsung HD204UI 2TB | be quiet! Pure Power 530W | Aerocool RS-9 Devil Red | Samsung SyncMaster SA350 24" + ASUS VE198S 19" | Saitek X52 | TrackIR 5 | Thrustmaster MFD Cougar | Speedlink Darksky LED | Razor Diamondback | Razor X-Mat Control | SoundBlaster Tactic 3D Rage ### Software: Windows 10 Pro 64Bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

AFAIK FC2 has not just the same graphics, but the same "core", the TFCSE (The Fighter Collection Simulator Engine) as in DCS:Ka-50. Only DCS:A-10C has a newer version because, well, it's newer XD

When the compatibility patch hits, all of them will have the same version, again, afaik.

No. It hasn't. Or - it's a merge between two "cores", if you get my point. The "Sim-Engine" is DCS. So - What weapons does the plane carry, where's his position, network transfer, user input, etc. But the Flight-engine (the part which makes the fancy flying, or - which gets the user input to a specific plane and returns the airplane/weapon-reaction) is FC - and won't be touched, because it just interacts with the DCS core via interfaces.

There's no "Overkill". There's only "open fire!" and "time to reload".

Specs: i7-980@4,2Ghz, 12GB RAM, 2x GTX480, 1x 8800GTS, X-Fi HD, Cougar, Warthog, dcs-F16-pedals

No. It hasn't. Or - it's a merge between two "cores", if you get my point. The "Sim-Engine" is DCS. So - What weapons does the plane carry, where's his position, network transfer, user input, etc. But the Flight-engine (the part which makes the fancy flying, or - which gets the user input to a specific plane and returns the airplane/weapon-reaction) is FC - and won't be touched, because it just interacts with the DCS core via interfaces.

Thats just the flight model, not the engine. It's the standard flight model in FC2, except for Su-25 and Su-25T that have the advanced fligh model like the Ka-50, and I think A-10C has a slightly more detailed fm. But the engine itself is TFCSE (graphics, world, IA, communications, network, atmosphere, etc etc). In fact, IA uses the standard flight model (at least for the most part).

It's like Flight Simulator. All airplanes use the same core engine, but each one has it's own flight model, one more detailed others less.

Edited by Distiler

AMD Ryzen 1400 // 16 GB DDR4 2933Mhz // Nvidia 1060 6GB // W10 64bit // Microsoft Sidewinder Precision 2

Guess you are going to play in your dedicated closed server with your squad.

That and inter-squad flights should keep me entertained. :thumbup:

There's a very good reason why they're closed.

"You see, IronHand is my thing"

My specs:  W10 Pro, I5/11600K o/c to 4800 @1.32v, 64 GB 3200 XML RAM, ASUS RTX3060ti/8GB.

• 1 month later...

This is my belief.

Flaming Cliffs offers many aircraft and is easier to play. Some people that are not familiar with flight sims may not see the value of a DCS title since it only comes with one aircraft. FC2 is a good gateway to the DCS series. I rather have a multi aircraft, easy to fly sim for new people than to have them get overloaded with DCS and quit before they really ever get started (were talking about new people here that only had a slight interest in trying a flight sim anyway). In my opinion FC2 is like DCS Training Wheels. It's important because of it's value to introduce new people to our flight sim and prep them for the more complicated DCS titles. Once they fly for a while, get familiar with instruments and navigation, and figure out what kind of pilot they are (since FC2 offers air to air and air to ground aircraft), then they can step up to a DCS title.

Edited by ZQuickSilverZ
  • Like 1

I need, I need, I need... What about my wants? QuickSilver original.

"Off with his job" Mr Burns on the Simpsons.

"I've seen steering wheels / arcade sticks / flight sticks for over a hundred dollars; why be surprised at a 150 dollar item that includes the complexities of this controller?! It has BLINKY LIGHTS!!" author unknown.

These titles are listed in the chronological order I purchased them.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thank you. By the way your site set off my anti virus software. Said it was a trojan. Might want to check into that.

Edited by ZQuickSilverZ

"I've seen steering wheels / arcade sticks / flight sticks for over a hundred dollars; why be surprised at a 150 dollar item that includes the complexities of this controller?! It has BLINKY LIGHTS!!" author unknown.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

oh yeah? Probably pissed at me because I let it expire and downgrade itself to the "free" account. My site's content exceeds the limits by oh.. about 10x lol... There's nothing that i put on that should trigger it... might be one of their stupid banner ads...

checking it on girlfriend's computer now- using MSE..

edit- no alarms here... will check it again from home- that machine has avast on it...

Edited by S77th-konkussion

This is my beleif.

Flaming Cliffs offers many aircraft and is easier to play. Some people that are not familiar with flight sims may not see the value of a DCS title since it only comes with one aircraft. FC2 is a good gateway to the DCS series. I rather have a multi aircraft, easy to fly sim for new people than to have them get overloaded with DCS and quit before they really ever get started (were talking about new people here that only had a slight interest in trying a flight sim anyway). In my opinion FC2 is like DCS Training Wheels. Its important because of its value to introduce new people to our flight sim and prep them for the more complicated DCS titles. Once they fly for a while, get familiar with instruments and navigation, and figure out what kind of pilot they are (since FC2 offers air to air and air to ground aircraft), then they can step up to a DCS title.

Well spoken :thumbup:

Yes it may have been a banner the thing I clicked said play. Also I wanted to add that avast is what I am using as well.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Ah, a bit late - some forums don't get that much of attention as it should. :music_whistling:

Some facts:

- DCS:BS 1.x family was built with a whole new engine compared to FC1

- FC2 received the new same game engine as DCS:BS

This was probably one of the factors that caused the FC1->FC2 to cost so much time.

Remember all the stuff like 6dof cockpits, weapons and threats should work for both Migs, Sukhois, US jets, as well as Ka-50's? RWR and LWR should work in the same manner for both sims? Radio and AI acting in the same manner?

The good news: This work is done this time. DCS 102 and FC2 102 is now sharing the same game engine in most parts.

You can see that for yourself, just check the files.

DCS:WH is just another iteration of the engine for DCS:BS 102 and FC2 102.

DCS:BS 103(?) will be based from this version, but should in many part be compatible since they are part of the same base-engine. If ED didnt break too much, it should go smooth.

Which means? FC2 will not need that huge amount of work to update, if you compare it from the FC1->FC2 upgrade.

FC2 as for compatability with the DCS family:

- Yes please.

FC2 still acts as a recruiting office for the community, it's the entry level into many Squads.

It will encourage them to stay in the community and many of them will buy the standalone DCS sims.

If you split off the FC2 at this stage, the FC community will slowly start to branch off - not expanding as quickly, not recruiting so many new pilots as fast as it could.

IMO, which leads me to think:

* FC2 compatability, good for the community, good for ED, good for business = good for the community, good for ...

If it means waiting a couple of extra couple of months, it's definitively worth it.

• Like 2

The mind is like a parachute. It only works when it's open | The important thing is not to stop questioning

Interesting thoughts Panzer.

I think if we were given the option it would be best to remain compatible. In essence let the users decide how they want to use the compatibility. Some will be strictly DCS, or FC2, or some mix in between. I did find it interesting that once FC2 became compatible with BS there were far fewer "DCS only" servers out there. Maybe its because it was new and exciting, or the BS just wanted someone else to play it, but I would hope that with the addition of the A-10C the number of "DCS only" servers wouldn't be as small. I would expect the ratio of DCS to FC2 to change as more aircraft get added to DCS.

I do feel a server browser filter would be incredibly important to allow users to see the type of servers they want to play in. Filter out either by aircraft or product base: "DCS", "FC2", "BOTH"

• Like 1

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects:  Grayflag ServerScripting Wiki

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread)

SLMOD, Wiki wishlist, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum

Agree with you, compability between LO2 and DCS is simple worth for ED and worth for community. Reasons of this have been already said.

Reminder: Fighter pilots make movies. Bomber pilots make... HISTORY! :D | Also to be remembered: FRENCH TANKS HAVE ONE GEAR FORWARD AND FIVE BACKWARD :D

ಠ_ಠ

That would be the best thing to do, until all FC aircraft are in DCS. There is no problem with the Ka-50's and FC2 fliers, they live well together. It would be nice to even have both the A-10A and A-10C depending on which one you have.

i7-4820k @ 3.7, Windows 7 64-bit, 16GB 1866mhz EVGA GTX 970 2GB, 256GB SSD, 500GB WD, TM Warthog, TM Cougar MFD's, Saitek Combat Pedals, TrackIR 5, G15 keyboard, 55" 4K LED

I would gladly pay $29.99 for a compatibility patch between FC2 and DCS series for online play that also fixes other problems in FC2. ED's dilemma is the fact that they then have 2 FC2 products to serve.

I love the simplicity in FC2 aircrafts and weapon systems, less "talk on" is somethimes good :mobile:

(HJ)

FC2 raised to DCS-A10C level is OK but I don't agree with compatibility with it. Because lets say next module be Su-27/F-15C than you will have two of the same A/C in multi-player games, then ED might again need to patch FC2 to remove the SFM A/C, So raising FC2 to DCS level will be great but compatibility will altogether be a great nuisance.

Significantly raising the FC2 bar would be the only thing that I would find attractive about an eventual merging.. Support & develop FC- absolutely. Merge FC into DCS ? .. not in it's current state of avionics & weapons modeling.. like anyone cares about my opinion.. but nevertheless...:D

Because lets say next module be Su-27/F-15C than you will have two of the same A/C in multi-player games...

We keep hearing this but the solution is very simple -> mission editor.

As stated before, I'm all for FC2 compability with other DCS-modules.

/KC