Ka-50 vs Mi-28

stormrider

They are not purposed to same missions now. Serial Ka-50 is poor chopper compared to Mi-28N in terms of avionics, capabilities ect. Details on forum in many threads :)

Edited by Boberro

Reminder: Fighter pilots make movies. Bomber pilots make... HISTORY! :D | Also to be remembered: FRENCH TANKS HAVE ONE GEAR FORWARD AND FIVE BACKWARD :D

ಠ_ಠ

why do russians need two...?

Weren´t Kamov and Mil in a competition to build a attack helicopter and those two came out of this contest?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06JN7p-_y24

It was somewhere in this Documentary Beginnng in part 4 of 5 and continuing in 5 of 5. I suggest to watch the whole Soldiers and Worker part of this documentary.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

In big short IIRC Mil and Kamov have been in competition. Kamov had won but mean time USSR collapsed and Rubels for Ka-50 were cut. Ka-50 is in "coma". Doctrine also changed and one pilot chopper was not so good against battlefield due to heavy pilot overload... you had to fly carefully, search targets, be aware of enemy... that all in one time. Later when Russia had a bit better economy Ka-50 returned but it was too old... showed Mi-28 and it won.

Quite many things in RuAF have been rejected (or their build\upgrade progress was very slow example MiG-29 versions) due to out of funding... Ka-50, Su-25T\M, MiG 1.44 ect...

Currently as far I know Ka-50s are prepared for low-threat task only, setting Mi-28N as primary chopper.

Edited by Boberro

Reminder: Fighter pilots make movies. Bomber pilots make... HISTORY! :D | Also to be remembered: FRENCH TANKS HAVE ONE GEAR FORWARD AND FIVE BACKWARD :D

ಠ_ಠ

What I read at one of the current-news aviation sites around the place was that in service, following continuing military reorganisation, being in smaller numbers but with greater capabilities and the two-man crew the Mi-28 is ideally used as a controller aircraft for flights of Ka-50 during significant commitments.

So they'd be used together, you might have 4-6 Ka-50 under a Mi-28 which will be flying at a higher altitude as a combat equipped command unit.

Helicopter units are such a major feature of the Russian army's combat force this wouldn't surprise me, closest NATO parallel would have to be the USMC air forces, I get the impression the Russians think of their helicopter force, formerly "the independent air units" in the same way as the US Marines with their Hornets and Harriers.

What I read at one of the current-news aviation sites around the place was that in service, following continuing military reorganisation, being in smaller numbers but with greater capabilities and the two-man crew the Mi-28 is ideally used as a controller aircraft for flights of Ka-50 during significant commitments.

So they'd be used together, you might have 4-6 Ka-50 under a Mi-28 which will be flying at a higher altitude as a combat equipped command unit.

Helicopter units are such a major feature of the Russian army's combat force this wouldn't surprise me, closest NATO parallel would have to be the USMC air forces, I get the impression the Russians think of their helicopter force, formerly "the independent air units" in the same way as the US Marines with their Hornets and Harriers.

This doctrine if it existed before the Afghan-Soviet War, was certainly widened and put into practice there. Typically as the war drew on it turned into each side ambushing the others convoys, and in the case of the Soviets, ambushing the Mujahideen Caravans. A lot of the time this would have been done without ground support. Typically a multiship of maybe 7-8 Hinds would hunt down and destroy a supply caravan from Pakistan.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I think it's the Ka-52 which is intended for that controller role, not the Mi-28. Yes, the Russians are having even another attack helicopter in limited numbers, the Ka-52!

I think it's the Ka-52 which is intended for that controller role, not the Mi-28. Yes, the Russians are having even another attack helicopter in limited numbers, the Ka-52!

Yes! КА-50 is no more, will only Mi-28N and Ka-52 (reconnaissance-strike and command post for the Mi-28N)

VZXExzMHGXo

CcpUdxlgliA&feature=related

Edited by AlexHunter

Открылась бездна звезд полна;

Звездам числа нет, бездне дна. (М. В. Ломоносов)

Why the (apparently) immobile stick grip in the center?

I only respond to that little mechanical voice that says "Terrain! Terrain! Pull Up! Pull Up!"

Who can say what is impossible, for the dream of yesterday is the hope of today and the reality of tomorrow.

-Robert Goddard

"A hybrid. A car for enthusiasts of armpit hair and brown rice." -Jeremy Clarkson

"I swear by my pretty floral bonet, I will end you." -Mal from Firefly

No, there's no "throttle" that you operate in that bird. EEG handles throttle settings.

What you are thinking about is the collective, which is not a throttle. The collective is visible as the panel with hats and switches at the same height as the center switch panel.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

No, there's no "throttle" that you operate in that bird. EEG handles throttle settings.

What you are thinking about is the collective, which is not a throttle. The collective is visible as the panel with hats and switches at the same height as the center switch panel.

I can see the collective, but why is there another grip besides the collective and cyclic? Is the third grip duplicated for the other crew member?

I only respond to that little mechanical voice that says "Terrain! Terrain! Pull Up! Pull Up!"

Who can say what is impossible, for the dream of yesterday is the hope of today and the reality of tomorrow.

-Robert Goddard

"A hybrid. A car for enthusiasts of armpit hair and brown rice." -Jeremy Clarkson

"I swear by my pretty floral bonet, I will end you." -Mal from Firefly

I think the grip in the middle is to control the pod underneath the KA52, like move it up and down and sideways etc.

I would love for ED to model this bird in Blackshark, it just looks sooo lovely and clean looking on the inside compared to the KA50.

Can see what looks like the autopilot channels at the top left of the center console, small left hand cyclic thing looks like the controls for the optical sensor suite (which is the BIG ball under the nose) and it looks like it is static so probably hat slew or HMS only.

Is there Radar hidden inside that big nose?

Also, Why do they ALWAYS cover up the left hand side of the HUD? specially in all the older KA-50 pics.

Edited by ben1101

i5 4690K, GTX1070, 24GB 1800mhz, HP WMR, Custom FFB helicopter controls.

I think the grip in the middle is to control the pod underneath the KA52, like move it up and down and sideways etc.

I would love for ED to model this bird in Blackshark, it just looks sooo lovely and clean looking on the inside compared to the KA50.

it's a replica of cyclic(static doesn't move) it doesn't interfere with pilot cyclic when the gunner use it to move the optic

VEAF 735th - www.veaf.org - Formateur Ka50

Escadrille Francophone évoluant sur DCS.

En savoir plus : http://www.veaf.org/fr/735-escadrille-virtuelle-dcs-fancaise

Nous rejoindre : http://www.veaf.org/fr/nous-rejoindre

Also, Why do they ALWAYS cover up the left hand side of the HUD? specially in all the older KA-50 pics.

"Nothing to see here, move along people". ;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

In Bizzaro world "US Fixed Wing Aircraft" really means "coaxial tandem Russian Helicopter"

BIZZARO!

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects:  Grayflag ServerScripting Wiki

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread)

SLMOD, Wiki wishlist, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum

Well there is only one hud in that bird (look at the one with it flying, the right hand seat doesn't have a HUD). So I imagine they cover it to keep the build up of dust/dirt down to a minimum.

Regards

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]