STUCK IN THE GRASS ON TAXIING

nicklittle135

I notice that some runways have grass that looks like concrete, had just landed yesterday, taxi'ing back to the stand and as I came off the runway and was following the line in the centre of the taxiway, I got stuck, I could see grass poking out of the concrete and nothing i could do would move the hog :(

Hopefully this gets fixed in the patch as fair enough getting stuck on the actual grass, but getting stuck on the taxiway is a pain in the ass.

I notice that some runways have grass that looks like concrete, had just landed yesterday, taxi'ing back to the stand and as I came off the runway and was following the line in the centre of the taxiway, I got stuck, I could see grass poking out of the concrete and nothing i could do would move the hog :(

Hopefully this gets fixed in the patch as fair enough getting stuck on the actual grass, but getting stuck on the taxiway is a pain in the ass.

Which AB?

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

Ok, I looked last night and I cannot be 100% sure which one it was, but the border area between georgia and russia, the few airbases in that immediate area was where it happened.

It happened when I came off the runway and onto the taxiway, and the angled corners of the taxiway trapped me, my nose wheel sunk into the concrete and I could see grass poking out of the piece that had me stuck and throttling up and down wouldnt shift it.

I think Nalchik was the one but I cannot be 100% sure, but its one of the bases not that far from the border on either side, it has to be one with angled taxiway corners, not smooth rounded corners that have been added to some airbases.

looks similar to this pic I drew.

In the pic I was heading east along the runway and turned onto the taxiway at the end of the runway and got trapped as it started to turn left, main gear hadnt got onto the corner yet, it was still on the straight, it was only the front gear that go caught up.

In game however, I am sure when I was landing that I was either on a East or a South heading, one of the two, both are very rough descriptions from memory.

stucku.png

Edited by bumfire

• 1 month later...
my nose wheel sunk into the concrete

Just chiming in to say that the exact same thing happened to me at the end of the Landing Training Mission (can't remember what airfield it was, but there's only one to land on in that mission). I landed, taxied to the end of the runway, turned right to a taxiway and got stuck in the concrete.

I eventually managed to free myself by applying full throttle and repeatedly engaging and disengaging nosewheel steering, which resulted in the nose wheel breaking off. :) The plane started to move afterwards, but of course I couldn't control it without a friggin nosewheel. :)

EDIT: Ah, just realised I made a screeshot of the stuck situation. Don't know if it will be useful but here it is:

unled0.jpg

Edited by Malleus

Just chiming in to say that the exact same thing happened to me at the end of the Landing Training Mission (can't remember what airfield it was, but there's only one to land on in that mission)

Ta

Spent quite a while previously searching for the AB - Glad you tracked it down :)

Will investigate.

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

Krasnodar-Center's main hanger has a soft floor. I know it no big deal

but will post them here as I find them.

Thanks for a great Simulation ED.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83Ghz | ASUS P5KPL-CM Mobo | ATI HD3870 Running 2xDisplay | Cougar Thrustmaster MFDs | Saitek ST90 |Saitek Pro Flight Combat Rudder Pedals l TrackIR 5 Pro C‬lip | Logitch G5 Mouse | Several Rolls Of Duct Tape.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Along these same lines-- ran into this issue at Kobuleti- @ "25" end of runway. As you can see-This parking / maintenance area has two other aircraft. One of them is lights on, active, and running- not to mention MASSIVE... A Mainstay or some sort of Antonov cargo bird.

You can see there is a surface to taxi on. I pulled into this area (noting the giant active plane) to re-arm & fuel.. and immediately got stuck as though I had veered off the runway into the grass and mud. Point is- this surface should be useable..

Screen_110706_224547.jpg

Track if you want.. Here This is at the very end of track obviously...

Edited by S77th-konkussion

• 5 months later...
  • 4 years later...

Probably the biggest annoyance in DCS overall, this has been responsible for most of the hot steam, even tho I don't get angry much, I hope this will not be so in the new T4 technology maps with NTTR and maybe when Caucus gets converted hopefully cause I'm trying to plan budget this year to get myself A-10C but probably won't be getting NTTR anytime soon.

Even tho we're not suppose to land on grass, anything that makes it extremely annoying obviously not going to be appealing to the public, and kinda spoils all the greatness, it just takes one such moment in a session and spoils it, it's so unfortunate.

I mean this really should be like critical top bug on the list, if this isn't being directly planned to be fixed by T4 convert I better don't want to get near it, cause I would feel so embarrased to have that 10 minutes of happy feeling and then all crushed ... I don't care if it takes another 6 months of work, like one guy doing it on fridays for 6 months if that's what it takes, I'll take that any day.

Since the point is a realistic simulator, doesn't actually mean that we're bounded by only the behavior that is usual in our real world, so we should be able to land on pretty much any surface and depending on the type it would have different effects on wheels.

If this is something that has to be done like per cell, per 50m, I guess it may take a ahm quite bit of work but we can narrow it down to low farm places, civilian roads, grass, cornfields, and skipping all the forrests, civilian housing areas, all the mountains (with some exceptions) ...

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

I mean this really should be like critical top bug on the list, if this isn't being directly planned to be fixed by T4 convert I better don't want to get near it, cause I would feel so embarrased to have that 10 minutes of happy feeling and then all crushed ... I don't care if it takes another 6 months of work, like one guy doing it on fridays for 6 months if that's what it takes, I'll take that any day.

Since the point is a realistic simulator, doesn't actually mean that we're bounded by only the behavior that is usual in our real world, so we should be able to land on pretty much any surface and depending on the type it would have different effects on wheels.

An empty A-10 weighs around 13 tons, and has far less tire contact patch than a semi truck (weight distribution). It's going to dig a trench if you get it stopped in the grass. That IS realistic behavior. AFAIK ED is already taking into account rolling resistances and weight of the aircraft.

Maybe ED will one day add an "easy taxi" mode for people that text while taxiing :)

An empty A-10 weighs around 13 tons, and has far less tire contact patch than a semi truck (weight distribution). It's going to dig a trench if you get it stopped in the grass. That IS realistic behavior. AFAIK ED is already taking into account rolling resistances and weight of the aircraft.

Maybe ED will one day add an "easy taxi" mode for people that text while taxiing :)

Isn't the airfrield "grass" suppose to be very flat and somewhat middle hard, not exactly like an abandoned farm field overgrown where you have uneven and some soft patches.

Would it really dig in that far that it takes like almost a minute by increasing time 20 fold to untuck it on full power, it happens to varying degrees, even the low ones made my plane roll over and crash. This is mostly because when it unstucks the user can't disable fast forward that soon.

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria