** JEFX's COMPLETE GUIDE TO TRANSITION SMOOTHLY FROM BETA TO RELEASE VERSION **

JEFX

JEFX’s GUIDE :

HOW TO TRANSITION SMOOTHLY FROM BETA VERSION TO RELEASE

Please, allow me to make my small contribution here. Every time I went from one version of LO or FC to another, or from one Beta to the other, I was contemplating the idea of a clear and complete method to do it without forgetting anything. Therefore I made myself a small list and I want to share it here. Feel free to correct or comment if you will.

Getting the appropriate files :

Of course, first and foremost, download from the main DCS website the Release Version of DCS A-10C

(all 4 files, placed anywhere on your HD, but IN THE SAME FOLDER)

If you do have a 64bits W7 System and had to fly DCS A-10C only in 32 bits before because of TIR not working, they have now an update to their software that allows 64 bits games to run, you get it here :

http://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/06-support/support-download-software-and-manuals.html

I suggest software version 5.1, it works great.

I can tell from my experience that it helps the performance to go from 32 bits to 64 bits, therefore I wouldn’t hesitate to use it now that Naturalpoint have upgraded!

Upgrading TIR : (if necessary)

Uninstall (using the remove program control panel of windows) the previous version of TIR software

but before that, do keep a copy of your profiles somewhere, they will work in the version 5 of the software.

Instal the new software version of TIR and once installed,

click on the update button to make sure you have the very latest of everything.

You can now copy back your old profiles in the new profiles folder of TIR 5.

Some people have had the experience that the software was not seeing their camera (no device found…) : if this happens, simply unplug the USB cord of the TIR camera and plug it again (perhaps in another USB port, it helps sometimes for the computer to see it… stupid windows…)

Take note of your changes in the config files : (very useful)

If you have made any changes in any of the config files (ex.: view.lua), it is now time to jot them down in order to remember exactly and use them again in the new config files that the program will install.

For those with TripleHeadToGo, for example, they need to change, in config/view/view.lua, line # 126 from [20, 140] to [20, 175] in order to allow for the wider field of view. Also in server.lua, line # 119 from [140, -65, 90] to something like [200, -120, 90] or so (bear in mind that I am talking about the new line numbers of the installed Release version).

If you like to use your own snapviews like me, you will want to take note to change both (new) lines #49 and #50 to false (DisableSnapviewsSaving AND UseDefaultSnapviews).

Since this is now the first release version, I would not keep any old files but remember that, once you will have saved all your snapviews using RAlt-KP0, you might want to copy the snapviews.lua file for later patch instal.

If you like to tweak you labels, remember to take note of what you change. For example, may of us like to change ALL labels to a only which can help a little SA without cheating too much (at least to help learning the beast). This is done in config/view/labels.lua lines # 31-50 (new numbering) by changing what is between the two quote signs by the character that you want.

Some like also to change the color of the labels to a neutral color that doesn’t show the sides. For a nice grey that is really not that evident to spot, that can be done in lines #54-55 (ColorAlliesSide and ColorEnnemiesSide) by changing both to [65, 85, 45].

Keep your screenshots :

Of course, you will want to transfer the content of your screenshots folder somewhere before reinstalling the new version!

Keep your custom missions and campaigns :

You will also want to keep a copy of your user made missions, for future use, but bear in mind that they are not supposed to work very well from beta 4 to the release version. Later, from Release version to a future patch (if any…) they might work better.

Take note of all your options settings in game :

Take note all the system options that you have settled for recently (texture, scenes, water, visibility range settings, etc…). Since those simulators have a big demand on computers and systems, one is constantly experimenting with settings in order to get the best compromise between beauty and realism (some call it eyecandy) and performance. You will want to set your new version (release in this case) to the exact same settings in order to compare performance.

I even suggest that you run a simple mission (take of from say Batumi with no clouds, etc… and jot down the fps in cockpit, outside, etc…

Take note also of all other pertinent options (sound, etc…) that you might like to tweak in the same manner in the next install.

Take note of your keyboard assignments (if you changed any) and your HOTAS axis setup and button assignments (including curves, Toebrakes inverted, etc…).

Uninstall the beta version :

Once you are sure that you don’t need anything from your previous version, uninstall using the Windows uninstall programs control panel.

Then, manually erase all remaining shortcuts, and even the Eagle Dynamics Folder in your Program files Folder should be deleted, some folders and files are leftover from the uninstall process.

I suggest then to clean the system and the disk a little. The best app for cleaning is from Piriform and is called CCleaner (it is totally free and very well known). You get it from here :

http://www.piriform.com/

Once you have it installed, you can run both the Cleaner and the Registry cleaner of this wonderful program.

The next step would be, if you want, to defrag your drive from which you operate DCS A-10C. This is important because it can slow down the usage of the software a lot. Another great tool from Piriform is called Defraggler and you get it free from the same site. Run it and defrag your program files drive (defrag your ‘C’ drive but not your SSD if you have one).

Install the release version :

Once your computer is clean, you can now install the new version (do let internet running at the same time, this will automatically ensure that the DCS website sees your serial number, if you are installing on the same machine as the Beta version was installed.

The process is the simplest possible, just click on the setup.exe and it installs the whole thing automatically.

Backup your new files :

Before you do anything and even run the program for the first time, I strongly suggest that you copy the content of the whole DCS A-10C folder to another location (you need approx. 7 Go of free space somewhere).

Believe me, it can come in handy if one file gets corrupted or you messed up something with a tweak or a mod and you want to revert to the old file without having to go through the hassle of reinstalling the whole thingy…

Set-up your config files :

It is now time to change whatever parameters you want in your config files (field of view, snapviews settings, labels, etc.) according to the notes that you have taken.

Run the software for the first time :

You can now start DCS A-10C. If you have done all those steps well (especially uninstalling completely and deleting all unnecessary files), you should not have any problem running the program, it works like a charm.

You should now go to the Options settings and dial back all your previous settings, (system, sound, game, etc… Axis settings, curves, etc…)

There is a !bug! that one should be aware of : you cannot try and bind a key to something new if that key is mapped to something else in the long long list of key binding : it crashes the program CTD. Make sure you unbind the key before you try, (use the CLEAR button at the bottom of the window). Always clear the original binding before trying to make your own.

Try your test simple mission :

Use the ME to make the same simple mission (from scratch, of course) that you had used to test the performance. For my part I was thrilled (like many on the forums) to find my performance greatly improved from the Betas to the Release (it almost doubled my frame rates, and I was able to crank up my settings as well!)…

And from here on, the fun starts… :smilewink:

Edited by JEFX
  • Like 2

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

In DCS I fly jets with thousands of pounds of thrust...

In real life I fly a humble Cessna Hawx XP II with 210 HP :D

Run it and defrag your program files drive (either you ‘C’ drive or your SSD if you have one).

Uh...no. Don't defrag an SSD.

"Tank! I need a program for a TM Warthog!"

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Thermaltake V9 SECC case | Corsair RM750 PSU | Asus ROG Ranger VIII | Intel i7 6700K | 16GB 3000mhz RAM |

EVGA GTX 980Ti FTW | TrackIR 4 w/ pro clip | TM HOTAS Warthog | TM MFD Cougar Pack | Win 10 x64 |

Sorry guys, my mistake, dont defrag your SSD, I meant your normal HD.

Just edited the mistake.

THanks

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks a bunch JEFX!

All good stuff to remember.

I did download the TIR 5.1.3 beta software, and installed it. But when you look at the About box in the program it says it's 5.1.2. I downloaded and installed it twice and got the same thing. So, I guess they did not update the version number.

Intel I9-10850K (OC @ 5.0ghz) │ Asus Maximus XII Hero │ G.Skill Ripjaws 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 3200 │ Thermaltake Water 360mm
Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24gb │ 2TB M.2 EVO Pro; 1T M.2 EVO; Sandisk SSD Drives │ 49" Samsung Curved Widescreen │ 28" Touchscreen

- ҉ - Blackshark Cockpit Trainer - ҉ -    Thread   | Download

Also concerning track ir updating from 32 bit to 64 bit: In my case unplugging and plugging back in usb did not help me to get camera detected.

After uninstalling track ir 32 bit i had to unplug usb, delete driver from device manager and install 64 bit software and then plug in usb. That did the trick

^that!!! Don't WHATEVER you do defrag an SSD! You'll ruin it.

Why?

I thought it just added wear, not break it.

Didn't break mine. ;)

i5-3570K @ 4.5 Ghz, Asus P8Z77-V, 8 GB DDR3, 1.5GB GTX 480 (EVGA, superclocked), SSD, 2 x 1680x1050, x-fi extreme music.

TM Warthog, Saitek combat pro pedals, TrackIR 4

Why?

I thought it just added wear, not break it.

Didn't break mine. ;)

It won't break it, but it can shorten the life span of it dramatically. SSDs purposefully fragment the data without a cost in performance, because it's flash memory. It's called wear leveling, same things jump drives use.

Edited by 636_Castle

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

How To Fix Your X-52's Rudder!

Thanks, merci =ACU=,

I thought that it could be handy for those who have less experience with what has become known in the whole Flight Sim's history as :

The Dance :smilewink:

Jean-Francois

Edited by JEFX

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

...actually this one is quite easy compared with some that we have known in the past...:music_whistling:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Do we even need the 32bit at all??

:music_whistling:

If we can get TrackIR 64bit working, is there any reason to install the 32bit A10 on a 64bit Win7 at all anymore??

The only reason that we installed the 32bit version was only for TIR, right?

Intel I9-10850K (OC @ 5.0ghz) │ Asus Maximus XII Hero │ G.Skill Ripjaws 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 3200 │ Thermaltake Water 360mm
Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24gb │ 2TB M.2 EVO Pro; 1T M.2 EVO; Sandisk SSD Drives │ 49" Samsung Curved Widescreen │ 28" Touchscreen

- ҉ - Blackshark Cockpit Trainer - ҉ -    Thread   | Download

As says =ACU=, there is no need anymore.

And furthermore, on a 64bit system, the 64bit version of DCS A-10C works even better!

JEFX

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

:music_whistling:

If we can get TrackIR 64bit working, is there any reason to install the 32bit A10 on a 64bit Win7 at all anymore??

The only reason that we installed the 32bit version was only for TIR, right?

There should be no reason what so ever to install the 32bit version of the game on a 64bit operating system right now.

Any quick survival guide for NVIDIA users?

So far I had to use hardware Anti-Aliasing (x16) and Anisostropic Filtering (x16) and I controlled it with NVIDIA driver.

Should I use now software Anti-Aliasing and default texture filtering instead (don't know what ED uses there) what comes with newer DCS engine?

What's kinda annoying is that both BS and WH share same executable names, and NVIDIA driver detects DCS:WH as DCS:BS.

51PVO Founding member (DEC2007-)

100KIAP Founding member (DEC2018-)

:: Shaman aka [100☭] Shamansky

tail# 44 or 444

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] 100KIAP Regiment Early Warning & Control officer

For whoever is interested:....

The absolute de facto standard in defragmentation

http://www.oo-software.com/home/en/index.html

If You know of one better I would like to know please..

http://www.diskeeper.com/

Not sure if it is better, since I haven't tried O&O and I am hearing first time about it. However I have been using Diskeeper successfully for years.

51PVO Founding member (DEC2007-)

100KIAP Founding member (DEC2018-)

:: Shaman aka [100☭] Shamansky

tail# 44 or 444

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] 100KIAP Regiment Early Warning & Control officer

It won't break it, but it can shorten the life span of it dramatically. SSDs purposefully fragment the data without a cost in performance, because it's flash memory. It's called wear leveling, same things jump drives use.

What is there to shorten? There are NO moving parts! Please enlighten me.

ASUS 1156 I7 870 2.93 Stock//8 gig RAM//GTX 570SC

Every "storage cell" in a ssd disk has a finite, predetermined, number of times it can be rewritten. The cell is unusable after the number is hit.

Therefor SSD disks fragment data on purpose, to balance the wear. Defragmenting a SSD disk will force it to use cells that have much less rewrites available.

Also, there is no need for defragmenting SSD disk, as it gains no benefit from defragmanted data. It doesn't have moving parts that need to reposition themself to read data.