Terrible Performance on a Relatively High-End Machine (1.1)

I got my new Video Card, a 6600. I just reinstalled Lomac and 1.1, and am getting even worse FPS than I had been getting before. Close to the ground in the Su-25T I'm lucky to get 10FPS. In other aircraft at Altitudes 25 is a stretch. Whenever there is radio chatter it freezes for about a second.

Settings are as follows:

Terrain: Medium

Textures: High

Effects: High

Water: Medium

Vis Range: Medium

Preload: 100k

Res: 1024x768

Shadows: Full Planar

Lights: All

Haze: Adv

Heat Blur: On

And My System...

AMD Athalon XP 3000+

1024mb RAM

GeForce 6600

A7V8X-X Motherboard

Why am I getting such terrible performance on medium settings? This is far worse than what I got with my OLD card, a 5600, the only difference being Low Terrain and Water. I've seen people with inferior setups to mine get over 40 easy. Before the reinstall(I originally installed 1.1 Over 1.02), it was at least playable(Add 5-10fps to the above). Any possible reasons for this?

Guest EVIL-SCOTSMAN
I got my new Video Card, a 6600. I just reinstalled Lomac and 1.1, and am getting even worse FPS than I had been getting before. Close to the ground in the Su-25T I'm lucky to get 10FPS. In other aircraft at Altitudes 25 is a stretch. Whenever there is radio chatter it freezes for about a second.

Settings are as follows:

Terrain: Medium

Water: Medium

Res: 1024x768

Shadows: Full Planar

And My System...

AMD Athalon XP 3000+

1024mb RAM

GeForce 6600

A7V8X-X Motherboard

Why am I getting such terrible performance on medium settings? This is far worse than what I got with my OLD card, a 5600, the only difference being Low Terrain and Water. I've seen people with inferior setups to mine get over 40 easy. Before the reinstall(I originally installed 1.1 Over 1.02), it was at least playable(Add 5-10fps to the above). Any possible reasons for this?

well tbh honest i pwn that in a 2.8amd xp 1 gig and til friday a 6800gt, something is happening for u to be gettin that when its a better system than mine, well marginally better, and i got it at higher settings. maybe pwn the wrong word but i sure get more than 10fps.. looks like a lot of trouble shooting for yourself, i dont envy you, i had my fair share of 1.1 woes and thankfully I got round most of them :)

Turn the haze from advanced to basic. I personally don't notice much of a difference in visual quality and you can save a lot of FPS. Also, I too notice extremely low FPS with the Su-25T at the airports. I don't know what to do about that one. Anyway, hope this helps.

Specs: AMD FX-60, ASUS A8N-E, 2 GB's Corsair PC 3200 DDR, Win XP SP2, ATI X1900 XTX

Basic Haze is absolutely DISCUSTING compared to advanced in Hazy weather. I dont know how to check my AA/AF settings, but I know they're lowish, just by looking at the graphics. There's got to be some other problem. I want to try it with a fresh windows install, but really don't have the time nor patience.

Check your AA and AF

Lose - heat blur, mirrors, advance haze

Bump up resolution to 1152x864

ZoomBoy

My Flight Sims Page

- Link to My Blog - Sims and Things - DCS Stuff++

- Up-to-Speed Guides to the old Lockon A10A and Su-25T

- Some missions [needs update]

The heat blur and shadows settings will be putting some strain on for sure. I agee with Zoomboy. Turn off the mirrors and heat blur. I'd also suggest reducing your shadows setting to active rather than all planar.

Also, all the normal things like check what you've got running in the background and shut down as many running programs/processes as possible.

Another thing I've heard mentioned as saving your system resources (and so increasing FPS) is turning off the force feeback option in the cfg files. No idea how much (if any) this helps. But it's something I've done ever since the original LOMAC came out.

Check your AA and AF

Lose - heat blur, mirrors, advance haze

Bump up resolution to 1152x864

How exactly do I check AA/AF?

Heat Blur has never been a problem... even with my old card I got NO hit whatsoever. I can't play without advanced haze, that's one of the things that has to stay. I'll try bumping up the res a bit too.

Also, I increased the Graphics Aperture size from 64 to 256mb... will see what that does momentarily.

I did install 1.1 over a fresh 1.0. That's when the problems started.

Just got the new nVIDIA drivers as well.

To check your AA and AF settings you need to go to your gfx driver control panel (right click your desktop to bring up the display control window. Click the settings tab at the top and find the button marked "advanced."Look for Anti-Aliasing and Anisotropic Filter settings).

I've got an ATI card and can't remember the Nvidia controls layout.

I got my new Video Card, a 6600.

AMD Athalon XP 3000+

1024mb RAM

GeForce 6600

A7V8X-X Motherboard

Athlon XP is not near high-end, try AMD64/FX/X2.

Geforce6600 (non-GT model) isn't so fast either. 6600GT is medium, 6800Ultra is "high end". Now there is already a GF7800.

For Nvidia users right click your desktop and click properties to bring up the display control window. Click the settings tab at the top and find the button marked "advanced." Click on the tab marked with the name of your card i.e. GeForce 6600. Anti-Aliasing and Anisotropic Filter settings ore under the tab marked Peformance & Quality.

Play arround with the different settings to see which suits your system.

I would also try turning the shadows down with mirrors and heat blur off. You just need to find the sweet spot for your system.

I run at.

Terrain: High

Water: High

Res: 1280x960

Shadows: Full

Civil Traffic: On

And My System...

Pentium 3.2E

1.5Gig DDR400

GeForce 6800 Ultra

Epox EP-4PGAI Motherboard

Ok, I've been able to get up to around 25fps regularly. However, any more than 10 Aircraft kills it. What's more, I think my entire computer is slowing down. When I went to go check my AA/AF there was a 2 second delay from when I right clicked to the menu appearing... Checked processes and there's a massive amount of crap running in the backround... almost all of it looks to be spyware... just ran adaware a week ago... I don't think it works very well. Should I try and find the registries manually and delete them? Or do I need to go hunting in the nether-regions of my hard drive to delete all of this?

Maybe you should try to clean up your system first.

1. Defragment your harddisc

2. Complete virus scan

3. Clean up registry

4. Clean up Temp ( push START open RUN type %temp% delete all content)

5. Scan for spybots

6. RUN msconfig and disable all programs you don't need running in background

That should take a decent bit of workload off you'r CPU so it can use its power on Lock On :)

Im running a 6600 256 as well....

I've had it for a couple of months now and I had probems running Lock on at first also.....

I'm now getting about getting about 25 to 30 FPS with everything on high including mirrors which are also set to high, the only exceptions are water which is on med. and no heat blur.....

I'm running AA, AF maxed also by the way....

When I first built this system Lockon would crash as soon as I started a mission, and I would get a blue screen and would have to have to reboot the system......

For some reason as with my old system the more I play the better Lockon seems to function......

I just started by useing the lowest settings in some of the basic missions and gradually began to increase the settings a little at a time untill I arrived at what I'm presently useing......

I also down loaded Cool Bit overclocking software which was included in the Video Card Disk and overclocked to the optimum settings.....

And I'm also running the latest drivers (77.72) from the NVida site.....

This is what worked for me as well as a number of the suggestions that the guys have listed above......

So anyway if you choose to O/C make sure that you have good cooling, I personally have an Enermax aluminium case, that has a fan mounted right in front of the GPU.....

~S~

Blaze

intel Cor i7-6700K

ASUS ROG MAX VIII Extreme

G.Skill TridentZ Series 32 GB

Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SATA II

ASUS GTX 1080/DIRECTX 12

Windows 10 PRO

Thrustmaster Warthog

Oculus Rift VR

I leave my Case open... It's a Thermaltake Xazer III, I have 7 Fans in there... I fried a Video card before, and I didn't even OC it so I'm a little skeptical to try overclocking this one? With all Those Fans(Four Point directly at the GPU/CPU), is it worth a shot? I'm getting gradual performance increases with every little tweak. I'm gonna set AA/AF to 2x and see what happens.

Wooops my mistake (LOL).......

I'm running a Thermaltake Tsunami Dream.....

This has 4 fans as well and one is actually mounted on the plastic door directly in front of the GPU.....

I've been checking out the temps at load and found that with those new drivers its actually running very cool.......

I did use the Cool Bit O/C tool to automatically load the optimized settings and and it does test everything after it optimises......

But honestly I'm not trying to get you to over clock but for me I need the strongest signal I can get as its sending power to my 30" HDTV.......

And really its not enough and I'm considering the 7800 when prices come down a little bit.......

~S~

Blaze

intel Cor i7-6700K

ASUS ROG MAX VIII Extreme

G.Skill TridentZ Series 32 GB

Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SATA II

ASUS GTX 1080/DIRECTX 12

Windows 10 PRO

Thrustmaster Warthog

Oculus Rift VR