EyePoint-Head Position

Guest Cayenne

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It depends also highly of your zoom-level(That you want to change while gameplay) so this will be a little try and error.

Go to DCS Warthog root folder> \Config\View\SnapViewsDefault.lua

Use Notepad++ to edit the .Lua file!

Go to line 1060 and start to tilt your view more down by highering the value. Start with -8.

Snap[11][13]["y_trans"] = -0.02 -- default: -0.041336805555555564 (Up/Down)

Snap[11][13]["x_trans"] = 0.27 -- default: 0.36 (Forward/Backward)

Snap[11][13]["hAngle"] = 0 -- default: 0 (Tilt Left/Right)

Snap[11][13]["viewAngle"] = 85.0 -- default: 95.0 (FOV)

Snap[11][13]["vAngle"] = -10 -- default: -23 (Tilt Up/Down) <line 1060

Snap[11][13]["rollAngle"] = -0 -- default: 0 (Roll Left/Right)

Snap[11][13]["z_trans"] = -0 -- default: 0 (Left/Right)

Edited by PeterP

A value of 10 is working well for my settings. I much prefer this view for flying heads up eyes outside the cockpit. I also avg 5more fps in this view as the cockpit isn't being rendered. The improved avg fps also helps with the yankin n bankin. I barely have to look down with my tir to see the mfds, it's like looking at the bottom of my monitor and the view tilts down to show the mfds, feels more natural this way, now there is actually "head up" and "head down" flying.

screen110504220434.jpg

Edited by Scarface

TARGET - Advanced programming

Hi, after going through this thread, I had to chime in for those ready to put TARGET in the loop as a solution for an effective use of "Save Cockpit Angles" command mapped R_ALT + KP0.

I've described my approach in the TARGET - Advanced programming thread and looking for input from members interested.

My approach is not the easy one but I can tell that I was happy with the results as I did not expect to solve it this nicely.

The snap view handling I put there is based on all I could read around here on the subject and code shared by the few other TARGET explorers.

The view extension can have you redefine all 10 custom views and have them saved in one minute with a single hand on the the stick. No keyboard involved.

Code needed some doing, but I swear it's clean, as my credo is keeping up with ED's and Thrustmaster level of quality is a must.

• 2 months later...

Been trying to download, but the download tab takes me to another section?

Regards

Engage

Intel Core i5-2500K 3.30GHz Overclock 4.20GHz

MSI P67A-GD65 Intel P67 (socket 1155) DDR3 Motherboard

Kingston HyperX Genesis Grey 8GB (4x2GB) DDR3 PC3-16000C9 2133MHz

Corsair Hydro H70 High-Performance CPU WaterCooler

XFX:ATI Radeon 6970 2048MB GDDR5 Graphics Card ATI

Trackir 5.....Hotas Warthog

Regards

Engage:thumbup:

Rechecked - and you are right! (sorry- in the PM I only tried the link - not to download!)

Worked yesterday.... - seems that ED is doing maybe some "server maintenance" because its so calm at the weekend?! - no -just yoking! :P (no sane person would do this at a Friday... and no one would release a patch at a Friday either -oops!)

I attached the right file to this link http://files.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/38574/

at this post!

PS:

(But as much it can disturb you sometimes - that's why I love this company so much - as chaotic it sometimes seems- they do so passionate work for us - and they show real dedication and - ...heart!)

Edited by PeterP

Thanks peterP:thumbup:

Regards

Engage

Intel Core i5-2500K 3.30GHz Overclock 4.20GHz

MSI P67A-GD65 Intel P67 (socket 1155) DDR3 Motherboard

Kingston HyperX Genesis Grey 8GB (4x2GB) DDR3 PC3-16000C9 2133MHz

Corsair Hydro H70 High-Performance CPU WaterCooler

XFX:ATI Radeon 6970 2048MB GDDR5 Graphics Card ATI

Trackir 5.....Hotas Warthog

Regards

Engage:thumbup:

• 3 months later...

I'll be honest here and say right out that I watched DCS:A10 whole development and just now purchased it due to not liking the cockpit view.In all the videos I watched it looked fisheyed and it only got worse when I purchased it.Just didn't fly much since it just felt off to me.

But just now I tried PerterP's mod and using the tweaked with centered hud it was better but now the gun cross was too high.I thought it was just not gonna happen and then I stumble upon Macktheknight's post about using the seat height adjustment and voila I am flying the Hog!!I lower the seat height until I see the gun cross or whatever that dashed circle is.

Then I used Chayenne's recomendation of using the trackir zoom in to see the full hud and WOW....the devs should really incorporate this as default.Tell players they need to adjust seat height upon entering the cockpit....adds to immersion.;)

Thank you Chayenne,PeterP and Macktheknight!! :pilotfly::D:pilotfly:

Question,anyone can point me to the mod that restricts the amount you can turn your head?I can't find it no matter how hard I look.

Edited by wolfstriked

"Its easy,place the pipper on target and bombs away." :pilotfly:

i7-8700k/GTX 1080ti/VKB-GladiatorPRO/VKB-T-rudder Pedals/Saitek X55 throttle

• ED Team

thanks for linking that found it very usefull :)

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• 2 weeks later...
I'll be honest here and say right out that I watched DCS:A10 whole development and just now purchased it due to not liking the cockpit view.In all the videos I watched it looked fisheyed and it only got worse when I purchased it.Just didn't fly much since it just felt off to me.

But just now I tried PerterP's mod and using the tweaked with centered hud it was better but now the gun cross was too high.I thought it was just not gonna happen and then I stumble upon Macktheknight's post about using the seat height adjustment and voila I am flying the Hog!!I lower the seat height until I see the gun cross or whatever that dashed circle is.

Then I used Chayenne's recomendation of using the trackir zoom in to see the full hud and WOW....the devs should really incorporate this as default.Tell players they need to adjust seat height upon entering the cockpit....adds to immersion.;)

Thank you Chayenne,PeterP and Macktheknight!! :pilotfly::D:pilotfly:

Question,anyone can point me to the mod that restricts the amount you can turn your head?I can't find it no matter how hard I look.

Where would I find this peterP's mode? Thanx

Cujo_signature.png

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
But, as everyone has noted, the HUD gets messed up and is only minimally visible when you move the viewpoint rearward. There are a bunch of LUA files that control HUD format here:

C:\[game]\Scripts\Aircrafts\A-10C\Input\HUD\

And I tried playing with a bunch of different parameters in (I think) HUD_definitions.lua, but couldn't get it working correctly. I was able to drop the font size, but have yet to find a way to compress the HUD symbology to fit into the smaller area of the new viewpoint's HUD. But I would guess that our answer lies somewhere in that folder.

Did you ever get the hud smaller with this? I've been trying to edit different parameters of the HUD_definitions.lua and it seems to at least change the HUD font sizes etc. None of the options seem to be changing the overall HUD size though.

Ideal result would be to get the HUD content slightly smaller (so that it's still readable), while fitting into the HUD area when head is in a more realistic position.

Edited by Osmo

Did you ever get the hud smaller with this? I've been trying to edit different parameters of the HUD_definitions.lua and it seems to at least change the HUD font sizes etc. None of the options seem to be changing the overall HUD size though.

Ideal result would be to get the HUD content slightly smaller (so that it's still readable), while fitting into the HUD area when head is in a more realistic position.

Wow ... old thread. Had to go back and read a bit to remember what I was talking about. :)

But the answer is no, I never fiddled any more with the zoom HUD settings. Per the earlier discussion when I agreed that moving the eye point back further in the seat seemed reasonable but had the downside of making the HUD text not fit within the smaller HUD frame anymore, if you check out any of Fish's excellent tutorial videos you can see how appealing and fluid his eye-point position is -- but yes, still has the downside of not everything being able to fit on the HUD. He's commented that this doesn't really bother him and that he just moves his head inward toward the HUD (via TrackIR) when he needs to read some HUD text that doesn't fit in the normal zoomed-out view, but from experience I know that that just doesn't work for me.

• 1 month later...

The host uses a mission that has the View-config folder still active - so it will overwrite your edits during this mission.

Please open the .miz file with 7zip or winzip and delete the config folder.

You will have to contact the Host and ask him to delete this.

• 1 month later...

This did it for me

I spent hours looking for a (maybe temporary) solution to the issue of seating and trackir. I wasn't able to zoom back because I then couldn't see the hud. I also couldn't look far enough down and to the right/left to see the ILS panel etc. It seems obvious, but it wasn't to me at first. I registered on this site just to post this, hopefully it will help you as much as it did me.

In order to "move cockpit camera back" and forward, essentially moving the chair or position back. Clear the Z movement for tracker-ir on the axis controls menu. Then map the "move cockpit camera back/forward" to anything that works for you and you can now move back and forward.. you can also do this for seat position up down if you dont want to use the in-cockpit button to do this.

The only problem with this is you wont have the Z function on the trackir but small price to pay to be able to access everything on the left right and get the chin off the dash board. I can now get a sweat spot where I can see the hud perfectly with a seat back relax position. I can also look and adjust anything on the left right panel.

Hope this helps!

• 2 months later...
Question:

to resize only the simbology of the HUD? I have changed the head position. The info in the hud are out the bezel (cutted).

The point of the HUD is that it's size and position don't change, whatever you do with your head. Remember the A-10 has a small HUD, so I suppose it's only normal that some stuff gets cut off.