Creating a better 'zoom HUD' snap view

Let me preface this by saying that I use a 3-screen SoftTH configuration in DCS: A-10C, so you might see different results if using a different setup -- but I think it should basically be the same.

In DCS, choosing the 'HUD' snap view (RCTL KP0, then KP5) gives me a zoomed in view of the HUD frame but the actual HUD symbology is way too zoomed in, with most of it lying outside the frame and thus not visible. With the betas and their inconsistent snap view saving behavior, I never quite figured out how to create a more useful zoomed in HUD view. Boredtechie posted a very useful set of changed snap views here for things like the MFCDs and CDU, which I incorporated into my SnapViews.lua file, but he didn't list a 'zoom HUD' configuration, and trial-and-error at guessing numbers for viewangle, rollange, hangle, etc. just got too frustrating for me, so I decided to find a way to make DCS's 'save cockpit angles' functionality finally work for me, as I'd yet to work it out.

With the release version of A-10C I've now got it working, and thought it might be useful for others. Here's how:

Assuming I want to overwrite the inadequate KP5 snap view:

1. If you haven't already done so, set UseDefaultSnapViews=false in your View.lua file.

2. Toggle snap views: RCTL KP0

3. Press the snap view you want to change: KP5

4. Untoggle snap views: RCTL KP0

5. Move/pan/zoom your view to where you want it; for me, simply using zoom in (*) and slightly panning the view up a bit got me a nice zoomed in HUD view.

6. Save cockpit angles: RALT KP0

7. Press the snap view you want to set: KP5

And that's it, you're done! Pressing RCTL KP0 and then KP5 ought to take you to the new zoomed-in HUD view. And you can go to your SnapViews.lua file to see what values for [11][6] creates this view, for easier setup next time.

• Like 1

Thankyou, thankyou, thankyou! I have frustrated myself silly trying to get this to work.

I have always tried it with uneditied lua files so my edits didn't interfere, but now see I should have kept the UseDefaultSnapViews edit in place.

Rep coming your way,

BiPod

• 1 month later...

Another option would be to drop in the view I edited, thread is here along with instructions and a screenshot.

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=72609

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

ASUS M4A785D-M Pro | XFX 650W XXX | AMD Phenom II X4 B55 Black Edition 3.2ghz | 4GB Corsair XMS2 DHX 800mhz | XFX HD 5770 1GB @ 850/1200 | Windows 7 64bit | Logitech G35 | Logitech Mx518 | TrackIR 4

My TrackIR Profile ( Speed 1.2 / Smooth 30 ) - Right click & save as.

• 1 month later...

With the release version of A-10C I've now got it working, and thought it might be useful for others. Here's how:

Assuming I want to overwrite the inadequate KP5 snap view:

1. If you haven't already done so, set UseDefaultSnapViews=false in your View.lua file.

2. Toggle snap views: RCTL KP0

3. Press the snap view you want to change: KP5

4. Untoggle snap views: RCTL KP0

5. Move/pan/zoom your view to where you want it; for me, simply using zoom in (*) and slightly panning the view up a bit got me a nice zoomed in HUD view.

6. Save cockpit angles: RALT KP0

7. Press the snap view you want to set: KP5

And that's it, you're done! Pressing RCTL KP0 and then KP5 ought to take you to the new zoomed-in HUD view. And you can go to your SnapViews.lua file to see what values for [11][6] creates this view, for easier setup next time.

Help! Try as as I might, I cannot get this to work.

I follow these steps to the letter, but I can't get the new view to save. Can someone explain further how things are supposed to work? (For instance, what's the point of steps 2 & 3 when you're just going to come back out of Snap View mode in step 4?)

When I press R.Alt+Num0, nothing seems to happen. Am I supposed to be holding that combination down and pressing my assigned snap view key at the same time? Or not?

Is any of this covered in the manual? What I really want to do is reset *all* the snap views to different instrument areas (and make Num8 the HUD). For instance, I'd like to have a focus on the warning panel, which I can't read from the usual view. (Zooming in manually is too imprecise when my ship is coming apart.)

Thanks for any assistance!

Edited by Paul Roberts

You can redefine all of KP0-KP9 snap views this way:

• Adjust some Cockpit FOV
  • Hit LWIN KP# snap view numpad key
  • Hit RALT KP0 to redefine this snap view
  • ...done

As I had to integrate this "On the fly snap-view tuning" into my TARGET programming, I ended up with this simple commands sequence.

Here are the rationales:

RCTL KP0 (Toggle snap views)

This is good if you want to go from one view to the other with a simple Numpad key stroke.

LWIN KP# (Snap View #)

Ths also works if you only need to have a look. It does not put you in a "SNAP VIEW MODE" you would have to toggle off later.

This stated, both ways have the side effect of selecting THE LAST SNAP VIEW OF INTEREST. And here you go! whatever is your current camera FOV, it will be saved by RALT KP0 as being the geometry of this view.

This could have been documented by ED but I think they are not satisfied with the current implementation to make it a feature for some reason.

• 2 months later...

Im kinda understanding this, but not clear enough to actually understand how to edit the current configuration of my HOTAS Cougar profile?

Below is the joystick file, and at the bottom is the current macro (I did not create this profile, but I do use it).

Now say I want to change “BTN H2L/I ViewDownLeftslow” to a snap view of left consol and have it stay there until I hit another button to snap view back to camera center in cockpit. Not sure how to create this at all? Ultimatly, I want to get rid of all the slow views and create snap views in their place.

Rem H2

BTN H2U/I CockpitIllumination

/O/H HotasTMSUp

BTN H2D/I ViewDownslow

/O/H HotasTMSDown

BTN H2L/I ViewDownLeftslow

/O/H HotasTMSLeft

BTN H2R/I ViewDownRightslow

/O/H HotasTMSRight

Rem H3

BTN H3U/I Cockpitpanelviewtoggle

/O/H HotasDMSUp

BTN H3D/I ToggleGoggles

/O/H HotasDMSDown

BTN H3L/I ViewLeftslow

/O/H HotasDMSLeft

BTN H3R/I ViewRightslow

/O/H HotasDMSRight

MACRO=

SnapView0 = USB(DE3 D62 U62 UE3)

SnapView1 = USB(DE3 D59 U59 UE3)

SnapView2 = USB(DE3 D5A U5A UE3)

SnapView3 = USB(DE3 D5B U5B UE3)

SnapView4 = USB(DE3 D5C U5C UE3)

SnapView5 = USB(DE3 D5D U5D UE3)

SnapView6 = USB(DE3 D5E U5E UE3)

SnapView7 = USB(DE3 D5F U5F UE3)

SnapView8 = USB(DE3 D60 U60 UE3)

SnapView9 = USB(DE3 D61 U61 UE3)

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

Anybody? Thanks

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

• 1 month later...

Any suggestions as to where I can take this question? This syntax works, but I need to find out how because I remapped the kepad numbers so I can use the keyboard to type in the CDU, but I lost the functions of my snap views. This is one unique situation where you dont have a joystick syntax thats relative to the actual macro,, in the sense that I clearly see

"SnapView9 = USB(DE3 D61 U61 UE3)"

in the macro,, but its not in the joystick file? Its triggered somehow by the

"BTN H3U/I Cockpitpanelviewtoggle"

Im at a loss without understanding how the snapview actually functions, I mean I understand the key codes, but when I edit them to match the new assignments, it still doesnt work on the Cougar, but works fine if you press the keys on the keyboard?

Edited by Fakum

• 2 months later...
  • 6 years later...

This file does exist in the F18C folder.

Thoughts?

"You see, IronHand is my thing"

My specs:  W10 Pro, I5/11600K o/c to 4800 @1.32v, 64 GB 3200 XML RAM, ASUS RTX3060ti/8GB.

This file does exist in the F18C folder.

Thoughts?

You cant expect that the info on a 7 year old thread will still apply today :)

Nowadays, you enable snapviews on the settings within dcs .. cant remember the exact tab, but its there, take a look.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB