How NOT to get killed by friendly AMRAAMs

Figured it out, looks sorta like a bug. Situation is I'm in a dogfight (1 vs 1 or 1 vs 2), a friendly CAP comes along, fires AMRAAMs at the MiGs, and the missiles lock up me instead. The key is to turn off your ECM. For some strange reason, the AMRAAMs immediately drop their locks on me and re-locks their intended targets. Go figure.

Sometimes, this also happens. I'm winning a dogfight, friendly CAP comes along and decides to help, so they and I both fire missiles at a MiG, my missile arrives first and complete obliterates the MiG into tiny pieces. To the incoming AIM-120, instead of two slow moving targets in front, it now has one. To avoid being locked up by it, again turn off ECM.

If it still locks you up, good luck ;)

sigzk5.jpg

sounds like AMRAAMS prioritize HOJ

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

It makes sense when you're close to the enemy because of all the false returns; it can't really see the enemy contact. It doesn'tmake sense when you're 2nm ahead and to the side of thefriendly firing it though, the seeker has no business looking in your direction.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Yeah, sometimes, the missile's behaviour seems odd. The missile would sometimes make a high-G break off from its original path to engage me. Then I'd realize it a turn off the ECM. Then the missile for some strange reason makes an equally hard break *back* into its original target, even though I am literally right in front of it.

The boresight angles I'm talking about are pretty huge - when I was jamming, I was at least 40 degrees off boresight, and after I turned off my ECM, the range shortened, so the boresight angle was approaching 60 degrees. Wierd.

sigzk5.jpg

Guest Cali

Too many people fly around with their jammers on and forget to turn them off. So all you get on your HUD is a bunch of lines. There is no need to have it on ALL the time.

Too many people fly around with their jammers on and forget to turn them off. So all you get on your HUD is a bunch of lines. There is no need to have it on ALL the time.

I fly around with it on most of the time because it denies range info to my opponent ... then at burn-through, its time to fire, turn and run! You never seem to get HOJ shots because the enemy never know the range (unless AWACS is around and they are using it) ... but you are right, I certainly forget to turn it on when in close!

In the F-15 it's a good idea to leave it on most of the time. First time I flew the Mig though, I realised how difficult this makes things for the russian jets on my side. So now I try to turn it off when I'm RTB unless somebody's chasing me.

---SVBS squad is playing Lock On, ADF/TAW and Typhoon now at www.svbs.co.uk !---

Turning ECM on makes you immidiatly visible on any radar screen, spares a lot of work searching for enemies even when they are too far to be even detected in the first place. I only turn it on when it is clear Im being painted to be precisely located just before being engaged/chased, It is unnecessary to do it before. Given the strength of any spike and respective ECM pattern on the scope I can guess its aprox position and I realize that theres a lot of people who do this also. While your trying to go unnoticed outside enemies view cones the worst thing you can do is turn it on. All it takes is a fast radar on swich to know your there.

I always give a big smile when I see ECM patterns very tightly together when otherwhise I wouldnt know theres a packed formation of fighters in that direction that I didnt previously knew they were there. ;)

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

You realize that most missles dont lock or dont track properly if you fire with EOS on?

Does that include IR missiles?

ZoomBoy

My Flight Sims Page

- Link to My Blog - Sims and Things - DCS Stuff++

- Up-to-Speed Guides to the old Lockon A10A and Su-25T

- Some missions [needs update]

No - it doesn't. Heat seekers work fine. from memory radar guided missiles won't show when you cycle through the available weapons anyway unless you're using the helmet sight & you turn the radar on - but that's being not stealthy is it ...

Cheers.