Q about HELIOS and touchscreens

Hi i have a few Qs about HELIOS which seem unanswered from my searches on their site.

1. Does HELIOS offer a multi-page GUI like touchbuddy used to? i.e. can i "flip" between different on-screen guages?

2. Will HELIOS work on a USB monitor? I have a 10" MiMo USB touch and was thinking I could use HELIOS to display limited guages at once and flip between MFDs, CDU etc.

3. If I am running a 3x24" Triple screen main view for A10C on a ATI 6970, can I restrict HELIOS to my little USB monitor or does it have to utilize one of the main 3 screens.

Thank you for your advice.

Regards,

ASUS Tuf Gaming Pro x570 / AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ 3.8 / XFX Radeon 6900 XT / 64 GB DDR4 3200 

"This was not in the Manual I did not read", cried the Noob" - BMBM, WWIIOL

I suggest you go back to helios site and ask Gadroc. helios can multipage as you want but I'm not sure about the small monitor it would be best to ask this on their site.

AMD A8-5600K @ 4GHz, Radeon 7970 6Gig, 16 Gig Ram, Win 10 , 250 gig SSD, 40" Screen + 22 inch below, Track Ir, TMWH, Saitek combat pedals & a loose nut behind the stick :thumbup:

1. Yes

2. Yes except for the mfd's as those are exported thru the dcs multimonitor setup routine. You could probably get one mfd to work and just have the other pages go on top but 2 mfd's if a no go I bet. The cdu would be an issue also due to the fact that a screen replicator is used for this function and needs a mfd setup in a fixed position. Though they are some very smart people that may know how to do this.

3. Yes helios can be setup to use on one screen only

These are the simple answers...there are so many other variables involved such as mfd export requiring window mode which may present problems with your 3htg. I could go on forever. My suggestion is to download helios and use it with the 10 minute time limit to see how it works for you

Edited by airdog

Airdog

| Asus ROG Strix Z370-E Mobo | i7 8700K @ 4.7 | 32 GB DDR4@3200mhz | Gigabyte 2080Ti OC 11GB| Samsung M.2 960 Evo 250Gb and 500Gb | Win10 Pro | Hotas Warthog #02743 | Track IR 5 | Toshiba 47" 120hz LED | Acer 23" Touchscreen | HELIOS |Oculus Rift-S|

http://www.blackknightssquadron.com/

can you explain the MFD and CDU restriction more? I presumed HELIOS operated along the lines of the many Touch interface programs I am used to - i.e. Touchbuddy, touchPal etc. Am i hearing you say HELIOS actually is pulling screen renders from the sim for all panels? i thought they were made and built from scratch in HELIOS and pulled LUA data for their displays.

Perhaps HAWGTouch is a better option?

ASUS Tuf Gaming Pro x570 / AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ 3.8 / XFX Radeon 6900 XT / 64 GB DDR4 3200 

can you explain the MFD and CDU restriction more? I presumed HELIOS operated along the lines of the many Touch interface programs I am used to - i.e. Touchbuddy, touchPal etc. Am i hearing you say HELIOS actually is pulling screen renders from the sim for all panels? i thought they were made and built from scratch in HELIOS and pulled LUA data for their displays.

Perhaps HAWGTouch is a better option?

You do build your own panels in helios and it interfaces with DCS:A10 thru the export.lua for all inputs and outputs that are available from ED's coding.

For the MFD's you have to export them using the DCS:A10 multimonitor .lua procedure and helios will overlay on top of the MFD's that are exported to a second monitor if you choose to go that route. The downside of this export procedure is it requires you to use windows mode(this is a DCS restriction not a helios restriction.) Though in your case you could export the MFD displays onto your main monitor setup and only put panels and gauges onto your touchscreen and still keep A10 running at full screen. Hopefully you are following me as I said in the previous post there are so many possibilties based on your own setup.

Onto the CDU...ED does not support the export of the CDU text as of right now. The workaround has been to use a screen replicator that is setup within Helios. This requires that you export the right mfd anywhere on your monitors you tell Helios the coordinates(X,Y) of this mfd and it will replicate whatever is on the mfd to the CDU you made in Helios. Almost all the Helios profiles available are setup to use this but there is another way to use the CDU without the screen replicator and that is to just use the CDU keyboard as a stand alone panel(ie no cdu screen) you then can just select the CDU page on the right mfd and use your Helios CDU keyboard to do all the inputs this is a bit better that using the UFC as in precludes you from using the FUNC key to get to certain pages.

Hopefully you are following me as the configurations you can have with Helios and your own computer setup are endless at this point. Helios is a very powerful tool made easier for the sim pilot.

Hawgtouch would be a better option if you are only looking to export the MFD's and use the hawgtouch bezel and soon the UFC but if you want to be able to access and interface with almost every switch right now in the A10 or in Blackshark or Falcon, Helios is the only way to go.

I will not bash Hawgtouch as I am envious of a person who has the capability to code something like that and then put it out for free and then support it to make it the best it can be but at this point Hawgtouch is very limited in it's capabilities but for many users it may be a perfect fit.

I myself am running 3 screens for Helios 1 for my main view and I never have to touch my keyboard for a single function within the A10 sim ever...this is something that Hawgtouch can not do at the moment.

• Like 1

Airdog

| Asus ROG Strix Z370-E Mobo | i7 8700K @ 4.7 | 32 GB DDR4@3200mhz | Gigabyte 2080Ti OC 11GB| Samsung M.2 960 Evo 250Gb and 500Gb | Win10 Pro | Hotas Warthog #02743 | Track IR 5 | Toshiba 47" 120hz LED | Acer 23" Touchscreen | HELIOS |Oculus Rift-S|

Export of MFDs: handled by DCS directly.

Switch inputs, touch controls: TouchBuddy, HawgTouch, Helios

Virtual instrumentation (working altimeter, VVI, HSI, etc.): Helios

You can flip "virtual" instrumentation pages using Touchbuddy or Helios (unsure about HawgTouch), but as stated above - since the MFDs are handled by DCS directly, you couldn't display them both in the same physical screen space, because there's no function to swap display configurations on the fly from within DCS itself.

Edited by Feed
  • Like 2

Export of MFDs: handled by DCS directly.

Switch inputs, touch controls: TouchBuddy, HawgTouch, Helios

Virtual instrumentation (working altimeter, VVI, HSI, etc.): Helios

You can flip "virtual" instrumentation pages using Touchbuddy or Helios (unsure about HawgTouch), but as stated above - since the MFDs are handled by DCS directly, you couldn't display them both in the same physical screen space, because there's no function to swap display configurations on the fly from within DCS itself.

Thanks Feed...I wish I was able to be short, simple and concise like that...i'm usually long and rambling as you can see above ;)

Airdog

Hmm

I have one of those 10" mimo displays... from what i'm reading, i could use Helios and set it up solely as the UFC (no video output required)

Yes?

AMD Phenom II 965 BE @ 3.8GHz, 8GB OCZ AMD BE RAM, ATI HD5970 2GB XFX BE @ 875/1215, TM HOTAS Cougar, TM Cougar MFDs, TrackIR 5, CH MFP, GoFlight Switch Panel, iMo Mini-Monster Touch, Mimo 720S, Saitek Pro Flight Headset

Correct - Touchbuddy, HawgTouch or Helios could be used to recreate the UFC on your Mimo.

Airdog, IMHO, the more info the better. I just figured I'd try to clarify the caps of the various apps available. :)

Thanks all ... +1 all around.

I am considering a multipage/tab on the MiMo to switch between the different panels - likely going to have the right MFD and a CDU keyboard laid out beside it . now the question is whether Hawgtouch or HELIOS. The only exports I'd likely require at the moment would be CDU/UFC & MFDs. Everything else is clickable like in the shark.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Who is using a mimo 10 inch touch for Helios?

Does it work well? and is there a frame hit?

Thanks, FLIM

Hi,

I am using Mimo 7 inch. It works very well. Frame rate hit, haven't noticed so far. I do not clone any MFDs, RWRs, CDUs on my MIMO. I just use this profile: http://www.scsimulations.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=881&d=1305182964

51PVO Founding member (DEC2007-)

100KIAP Founding member (DEC2018-)

:: Shaman aka [100☭] Shamansky

tail# 44 or 444

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] 100KIAP Regiment Early Warning & Control officer