Broke my Track clip pro

• 1 month later...
Its probably made in China and costs 99c to manufacture. Its an awful design and sorely needs an update.

I'm tempted to buy 3 small LEDs and make my own aluminium version when this one finally breaks.

I'm tempted to do the exact same thing, maybe make it cordless to and usb-chargeable. The thing should be made of metal, not tracing paper thin plastic.

P.S. if someone is willing to mill aluminum track clips with the LED's either pre-installed or not, I'd gladly pay for it.

i7 7700K | 32GB RAM | GTX 1080Ti | Rift CV1 | TM Warthog | Win 10

"There will always be people with a false sense of entitlement.

You can want it, you can ask for it, but you don't automatically deserve it. "

Wow I didn't realise so many other people are having trouble with this POS.

Mine is broken too, plus my cat tries to eat the IR LEDs.

I'm glad I found this thread, I was considering buying a new one but it sounds like some IR LEDs taped to some alfoil would probably be a better investment.

• 4 months later...

Components just too fragile

Mine just broke too.

I got 18 months out of mine before the three-pronged-thingy snapped off permanently and one of the wires broke in a place that's just too tricky for me to solder. Shame NP haven't released a stronger track clip.

Windows 10 | i5 2500k @ 4.4Ghz | MSI GTX 970 4GB | 8GB RAM | ASRock P67 Extreme4 | Seasonic X-Series 650W PSU | Oculus Rift DK2 | CH Fighterstick, Throttle & Pedals

• 11 months later...

Mine broke today... It's ridicoulus as I'm always very gentle with it. I only attach it to my headset, when I need it, most of the time it lies in my drawer with plenty of space (photos attached).

Looks like I'll have to see how to get it fixed and use the good old hat until it's done.

trackclip-broken-1.jpg.8f85a460fb80608bb3e3a8fec64b8137.jpg

trackclip-broken-2.jpg.d38fd71df85969bc5401ab79bb6859aa.jpg

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

Yep it sucks, mine (2nd one) broke in the same. It only has to drop 1ft, just once, to break like that. I wouldn't mind if they only cost 10-15 quid, but Natural Point have a monopoly at the moment (at least until Rift or Kinect) so they charge way too much for it and don't seem to care how easily it breaks, or want to inovate for that matter (wireless Track Clip anyone?). They'd probably charge 50 euro for a wireless one anyway...

I fixed my one with some of electrical tape :). Not perfect, but it's ok as long as your careful. I find the Hat clip useless for any "Clickable cockpit" DCS sims.

Specs: GA-Z87X-UD3H, i7-4770k, 16GB, RTX2060, SB AE-5, 750watt Corsair PSU, X52, Track IR4, Win10x64.

Sim Settings: Textures: ? | Scenes: ? |Water: ? | Visibility Range: ? | Heat Blur: ? | Shadows: ? | Res: 1680x1050 | Aspect: 16:10 | Monitors: 1 Screen | MSAA: ? | Tree Visibility: ? | Vsync: On | Mirrors: ? | Civ Traffic: High | Res Of Cockpit Disp: 512 | Clutter: ? | Fullscreen: On

This stuff works great for fixing a track clip.

http://sugru.com/

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

I used superglue to fix mine. The clip broke at the same spot as Eldur's. The glue works like a charm and the clip feels more stable than it ever did before. The joint at the base still moves and provides a proper adjustment for alignment. I've dropped it and bumped it a ton of times since applying the glue and nothing phases it. Also, no hassle with a tape wad or slipping out of place from tape not being tight enough. It looks like it did before with the glue.

Superglue....

Edited by BadK
To address using tape, tape is shitty and causes constant adjustments or fidgeting to keep it together..

BadK

MSI Z270 Gaming M7

Core I7 7700K @ 5.0 GHz

MSI GTX 1080Ti Gaming Trio

Corsair Vengence DDR4 2666 32GB

Corsair LE SSD 960GB

Corsair HX 650W

Corsair H100i v2

Corsair 460X Case

Windows 10 Pro 64

CH Products (FS, PT, PP)

Oculus CV1

Super glue works. I think mine is broken in the same place, if I understand (bottom most joint that allowed the three led piece to twist), and that worked great for me. Don't even notice the difference.

These things are notoriously easy to break and I've almost done the other joint in before as well. If I do, it will be super glue for that one as well.

I'm rather hoping the next track ir can just track your face without the ir stuff like the xbox stuff or whatever. Would be nice to loose the silly clip for good. But who knows.

Mine is broken in two spots as well...have had it a couple years. Using tape right now, but was actually considering JB Weld.

Also, some have mentioned that the regular clip works great...well, I have to disagree with that. The tracking is subpar with a more limited FOV in my experience. Of course it will vary with background lighting and such. Also, it is not noticeably lighter...maybe 2 oz? If you think 2 oz is bulky you need fly for 6 hours in a helmet with nvgs hanging off the front and a pound counterweight on the back...

Heh, now I feel a lot better, I just broke my track clip pro last weekend when I set it and the attached headphones down. Fixed mine using a clip from the dollar store usually used to hold glued stuff in place.

Has anyone taken a trackclip pro apart? is it easy to power the lights with a battery? Ironically I've got wireless headphones but the trackclip keeps me tied down...

• ED Team

Mine is all taped up as well,

just hope it lasts long enough so I can get the oculus rift and then ditch it lol

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Found this:

:)

Unfortunately mine is bought 2012-06, that's more than a year now plus the retailer I bought it from (aeroware.de) doesn't have these anymore.

I wanted to fix it with hot glue first but I couldn't find our pistol :D

So I ordered a pack of sugru and will try that as it's cheaper than buying a decent hot glue kit :)

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

Mine is broken some weeks ago. Lots of money for this cheap plastic-crap.

Needs urgent update in next revision!

Regards

Terrorvogel

ASROCK X79 Extreme11 (WC), i7-4930K (WC), 32GB G.Skill TridentX, Vertex 3 120GB, GTX 980ti, 3x 39,5" Philips 4K, TrackIR 5, TM Warthog with PeterP´s FFB2 Mod, 2xSaitek Throttle, 2x Thrustmaster Cougar MFD Bezel, Simped Vario Pedals modded with toe brakes, Opencockpit Cards, 4x Soundcard, 2x Buttkicker Gamer 2, 4x GTX 950 with tons of touchscreens...

Like everyone else, mine broke quite quickly. I switched to the metal hat brim-clip, and I don't notice it working any less well - save if there's a lot of bright natural light in the room, which just means drawing the blinds.

Don't think I'd go back to the Pro, nor would I advise anyone to buy it.

Hey, my TrackIR is also broken, the holder for IR camera is broke and I made a holder of tubes from McDonald's (tube for milkshake!) ...also TrackClip pro is wrapped in duct tape!!! Like many say here to much money for cheep plastic....:furious:

but on the other hand, very useful gadget...I don't believe that I could "fly" without it...

[sIGPIC]D:\avioni\razno\potpis 1 orao.jpg[/sIGPIC]

Guys i use this stuff works like a charm https://sugru.com/

Eagles may soar high but weasel's don't get sucked into jet engines.

System Spec.

Monitors: Samsung 570DX & Rift CV1

Mobo: MSI Godlike gaming X-99A

CPU: Intel i7 5930K @ 3.50Ghz

RAM: 32gb

GPU: EVGA Nvidia GTX 980Ti VR Ready

Cooling: Predator 360

Power Supply: OCZ ZX Series 80 Plus Gold

Drives: Samsung SSD's 1tb, 500g plus others with OS Win10 64 bit

Mine TIR Pro clip is broken, too. Fixed it with normal tape on my headset - 1,5 years ago - all's fine. The same happened with the TIR of a friend ... damn plastic. :mad:

Hardware: Intel i5 4670K | Zalman NPS9900MAX | GeIL 16GB @1333MHz | Asrock Z97 Pro4 | Sapphire Radeon R9 380X Nitro | Samsung SSDs 840 series 120GB & 250 GB | Samsung HD204UI 2TB | be quiet! Pure Power 530W | Aerocool RS-9 Devil Red | Samsung SyncMaster SA350 24" + ASUS VE198S 19" | Saitek X52 | TrackIR 5 | Thrustmaster MFD Cougar | Speedlink Darksky LED | Razor Diamondback | Razor X-Mat Control | SoundBlaster Tactic 3D Rage ### Software: Windows 10 Pro 64Bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Well I know I've broken two of them myself, but the last one I was able to fix. Mine broke where the arm attaches the clip portion and I was able to sandwich it back together using some hot glue and a small nut. I'll try and take some pictures for people that had the same break.

PS in my case at least one of the plastic tabs was still there so you can still rotate it.

But I have to agree that these things are POSs and Natural Point should have come up with a new design thats more robust by now (Aluminum maybe...?).

They did state not long ago that the Track Clips were now made out of a different type of plastic and should be more robust.

i7 7700K | 32GB RAM | GTX 1080Ti | Rift CV1 | TM Warthog | Win 10

"There will always be people with a false sense of entitlement.

You can want it, you can ask for it, but you don't automatically deserve it. "

Thats nice but I think its more a design issue than plastic issue. Granted my first TCP was busted by a two year old the second I just barely bumped. I'm careful with the things but damn are they fragile!

I'd pay $50+ dollars for one that was made out of aluminum if the option was there.