commands to AI via "switch waypoint"

I have a SEAD flight of 2 Tornados, orbiting at waypoint 2. = fine

On flag 14, this flight should "switch to waypoint 3" via condition "is user 14" to engage SAM units. That doesn't work.

mesw2.th.jpgmesw1.th.jpg

I thought about a "orbit" -> "stop condition" -> "is user 14" command, but that's not what I want.

Cause for it, there is another waypoint, waypoint 4. And if there is another flag true, the Tornados should switch to waypoint 4 (from waypoint 2).

Any help or cause, why that condition isn't working?

kind regards,

Fire

Hardware: Intel i5 4670K | Zalman NPS9900MAX | GeIL 16GB @1333MHz | Asrock Z97 Pro4 | Sapphire Radeon R9 380X Nitro | Samsung SSDs 840 series 120GB & 250 GB | Samsung HD204UI 2TB | be quiet! Pure Power 530W | Aerocool RS-9 Devil Red | Samsung SyncMaster SA350 24" + ASUS VE198S 19" | Saitek X52 | TrackIR 5 | Thrustmaster MFD Cougar | Speedlink Darksky LED | Razor Diamondback | Razor X-Mat Control | SoundBlaster Tactic 3D Rage ### Software: Windows 10 Pro 64Bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thats the way I would of done it.

Im sure the more experienced guys will have something for ya. Are you sure your flag is being set to true? I put a message on it to make sure the flag is being triggered, then you can always go back and take the message off.

Look at the first screenshot: "Flag on 14".

And the other flags are working, too.

kind regards,

Fire

Hardware: Intel i5 4670K | Zalman NPS9900MAX | GeIL 16GB @1333MHz | Asrock Z97 Pro4 | Sapphire Radeon R9 380X Nitro | Samsung SSDs 840 series 120GB & 250 GB | Samsung HD204UI 2TB | be quiet! Pure Power 530W | Aerocool RS-9 Devil Red | Samsung SyncMaster SA350 24" + ASUS VE198S 19" | Saitek X52 | TrackIR 5 | Thrustmaster MFD Cougar | Speedlink Darksky LED | Razor Diamondback | Razor X-Mat Control | SoundBlaster Tactic 3D Rage ### Software: Windows 10 Pro 64Bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I think the issue might be related to how the game executes waypoint tasks.

Here is an idea, add in an extra waypoint between 3 and 4. Lets call it X so things don't get confusing. Waypoint X is used to assign where they should go. The logic flow is as follows...

Unit Orbiting until told to stop.

Unit flies to WP X.

Upon arriving at WP X waypoint conditions force it to go to WP 3, or to WP 4.

FYI, SEAD aircraft might act differently than normal A/C as they always know where threats are located regardless if it has been detected yet.

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects:  Grayflag ServerScripting Wiki

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread)

SLMOD, Wiki wishlist, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum

Upon arriving at WP X waypoint conditions force it to go to WP 3, or to WP 4.

But that's the same situation, what I have now.

Or how would you realize this?

What I have now, is:

TRIGGER

Once -> flag a is true -> flag on 14

Once -> flag b is true -> flag on 15

Advanced Waypoint Action WP3

Switch Waypoint 3->4 (Condition: Userflag is 14)

Switch Waypoint 3->5 (Condition: Userflag is 15)

I think, what you mean should be like this:

TRIGGER

Once -> flag a is true -> flag on 1, 14

Once -> flag b is true -> flag on 1, 15

Advanced Waypoint Action WP3

Orbit (Stop Condition: Userflag is 1)

Advanced Waypoint Action WPX

Switch Waypoint X->4 (Condition: Userflag is 14)

Switch Waypoint X->5 (Condition: Userflag is 15)

In my opinion, that's the same problem, what I have now with waypoint switching, or not?

Thanks for your help,

kind regards Fire

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I was under the impression that all waypoint tasks (such as switch waypoint) are only executed once the unit arrives at the waypoint. So the moment it arrives and starts to orbit the switch waypoint task won't work because the unit has to "arrive again" at the waypoint in order to accept the switch waypoint task. Thus WPX is used for specific orders.

I think Grimes is right. All commands are processed once, when the waypoint is reached by the group.

The only exception is "Perform Task" tasks, which won't allow further commands in the waypoint's command list to be processed until it's finished. So you don't need a separate waypoint, you can put an orbit task prior to the two 'switch waypoint' commands. Those commands won't be executed until the 'orbit' task stops.

I was under the impression that all waypoint tasks (such as switch waypoint) are only executed once the unit arrives at the waypoint. So the moment it arrives and starts to orbit the switch waypoint task won't work because the unit has to "arrive again" at the waypoint in order to accept the switch waypoint task. Thus WPX is used for specific orders.

Ok, good to know. I'll try this today.

Thanks in advance.

kind regards,

Fire

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Try using triggered actions instead. Triggered actions are, for a very large percentage of cases, the superior method to use over waypoint actions anyway, as YOU tell AI when to do the action- it is NOT dependent on waypoints.

This is the triggered acitons tab:

attachment.php?attachmentid=49524&stc=1&d=1301298996

I have found, quite often, triggered actions to be the key to making AI do what I want. You just have to run the triggered action with "AI ACTION" trigger action and the AI just does it. That simple.

For some reason, very few people messing with the mission editor have disovered what the "triggered actions" tab is yet, and it's a shame because it makes life so much easier when dealing with AI. It also allows you to run all sorts of cool lua scripts too :)

In this particular case I can't guarentee that an triggered action to switch waypoint this will work all by itself, because I haven't messed around much with "switch waypoint", but there's a good chance it will work. Certianly, if you order the units to stop orbitting by setting a flag that is the end condition of the orbit (stop condition = "is user"), then a triggered aciton to switch waypoint should work just fine.

Triggered actions are run through the "AI ACTION" trigger action.

Edited by Speed

Intelligent discourse can only begin with the honest admission of your own fallibility.

Member of the Virtual Tactical Air Group: http://vtacticalairgroup.com/

Lua scripts and mods:

MIssion Scripting Tools (Mist): http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=98616

Slmod version 7.0 for DCS: World: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=80979

Now includes remote server administration tools for kicking, banning, loading missions, etc.

Maybe it was fixed in the last patch, but using triggered actions and switch wp gives me a fatal error. I can only use switch waypoint when it is triggered as a waypoint action.

Maybe it was fixed in the last patch, but using triggered actions and switch wp gives me a fatal error. I can only use switch waypoint when it is triggered as a waypoint action.

Well, that would be easy enough to test, but I gotta go to sleep... NOW!

Intelligent discourse can only begin with the honest admission of your own fallibility.

Lua scripts and mods:

Now includes remote server administration tools for kicking, banning, loading missions, etc.

Ok, I tried both versions.

With the triggered actions method, my game crashed to desktop in the moment, the flag was activated.

Grimes method works very well. Thanks alot! :thumbup:

But for the future, I hope the triggered actions method will work, too. :helpsmilie:

kind regards,

Fire

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Ok, I tried Grimes method now in my complete mission, but the Tornados didn't orbit. They flew straight from "WP orbit" over WP X to WP 4 and engaged the SAM.

Maybe it's the SEAD Task?

kind regards,

Fire

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Ok, I tried Grimes method now in my complete mission, but the Tornados didn't orbit. They flew straight from "WP orbit" over WP X to WP 4 and engaged the SAM.

Maybe it's the SEAD Task?

kind regards,

Fire

Possibly. Delete the SEAD task and use a triggered action Attack Unit(s) on the SAM(s) instead. Sadly, for the most part, I have to use triggered actions on all my AI aircraft attacks, because AI aircraft are RIDICULOUSLY aggressive, regardless of where you set the aggressivity setting.

This evening, I plan to try out lua scripting equivalent of "switch waypoint" and see if that causes CTDs. Maybe it will even work on ground units... if so, that's a huge step forward in intelligent, scripted ground actions.

Edited by Speed

Lua scripts and mods:

Ok, I deleted the SEAD task prior to Waypoint 4.

The Tornados fly their orbit and wait for the flag. The overfly waypoint x (3) and on waypoint 4, I set the SEAD Task. Works fine. :)

But you're right, they are extreme aggressive. They engage alle SAM and AAA in the area (20nm), but they should only engage one SAM unit.

I tried to use "search and engage unit" but the ME copied that task to the next waypoint (WP5). If I delete the task in the next waypoint (WP5) or change the unit (target), the ME changes the unit in the other task/ waypoint (WP4), too. :(

My next problem is, to guide the Tornados back to the orbit waypoint. Sadly, they can't reach the next waypoint to waypoint 4 (WP5), because of it's aggressiveness. So, Grimes method to guide the flight from the target area back to the orbit, doesn't work.

kind regards,

Fire

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Here is how I like to organize AI tasks.

WP A: Orbit

WP B: Given orders (go to WP X)

WP TGT1: Assign specific task

WP TGT1 Off: Task Complete- Switch WP back to WP A

WP TGT2: Assign specific task

WP TGT2 Off: Task Complete- Switch WP back to WP A

So each target has its own assigned Ingress and egress point. When the AI run out of fuel they should just RTB as needed. Or after a set time let them go to WP B and then be told to RTB.

Ok, I've figured out why the "Switch Waypoint" triggered action CTDs, and how to rectify it.

As we all know, AI aircraft love to fly from waypoint to waypoint exactly on the line drawn between those two waypoints.

First have a look at how the "Switch Waypoint" command looks in lua:

[font=Times New Roman][size=3]{ id = "SwitchWaypoint", params = { goToWaypointIndex = 5, fromWaypointIndex = 2 } }[/size][/font]

In case you're wondering where I got this, it's just from unzipping a mission and reading the unzipped "mission" file.

So a Switch waypoint command has a "goto" waypoint and a "from" waypoint. The AI tries to fly along the exact line between the "goto" waypoint, and the "from" waypoint.

Unfortunately, a mission-editor created "Switch Waypoint" triggered action does not include the "fromWaypointIndex" parameter at all. The game crashes with an error message about the "from waypoint index" being out of bounds.

So, the solution to making a Switch Waypoint triggered action is to make it a "Run Script" triggered action, and to fill in the "fromWaypointIndex" parameters ourselves because the mission editor doesn't.

Now, what number should be used for the "fromWaypointIndex" parameter? Well, after a short bit of experimentation, I found that it is best to use the same waypoint as you are trying to switch to. The AI will fly to a point very near the waypoint, and then align on the course it was supposed to fly into the waypoint on.

So here's a short little script I wrote that will do a "Switch Waypoint" action from a triggered action "Run Script":

[color=blue][size=3][font=Times New Roman]if true then[/font][/size][/color]
[size=3][font=Times New Roman]          [color=#339966]--Modify the unit_name variable to match the aircraft you want to switch waypoints.  Put it in quote marks![/color][/font][/size]
[size=3][font=Times New Roman]          [color=blue]local[/color] unit_name = [color=gray]'airplane'[/color][/font][/size]

[size=3][font=Times New Roman]          [color=#339966]--Modify the switch_to_waypoint variable to match the waypoint you want the aircraft to switch to.[/color][/font][/size]
[size=3][font=Times New Roman]          [color=#339966]--The switch_to_waypoint number should match the number shown beside the waypoint on the ME.[/color][/font][/size]
[size=3][font=Times New Roman]          [color=blue]local[/color] switch_to_waypoint =  [color=#ff6600]5[/color][/font][/size]

[color=#339966][size=3][font=Times New Roman]          --Modify nothing below this line[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#339966][size=3][font=Times New Roman]          ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------[/font][/size][/color]
[size=3][font=Times New Roman]          switch_to_waypoint = switch_to_waypoint + [color=#ff6600]1[/color][/font][/size]

[size=3][font=Times New Roman]          [color=blue]local[/color] switchtask = { id = "SwitchWaypoint", params = { goToWaypointIndex = switch_to_waypoint, fromWaypointIndex = switch_to_waypoint } }[/font][/size]

[size=3][font=Times New Roman]          [color=blue]local[/color] air_unit = Unit.getByName(unit_name)[/font][/size]
[size=3][font=Times New Roman]          [color=blue]if[/color] air_unit ~= [color=blue]nil then[/color][/font][/size]

[size=3][font=Times New Roman]                      [color=blue]local[/color] air_unit_controller = air_unit:getController()[/font][/size]

[size=3][font=Times New Roman]                      air_unit_controller:setCommand(switchtask)[/font][/size]
[size=3][font=Times New Roman]          [color=blue]end[/color][/font][/size]

[color=blue][size=3][font=Times New Roman]end [/font][/size][/color]

So just create a triggered action for the unit you want to switch waypoints, make it of type "command", and select "Run Script" rather than "Switch Waypoint". Pop this script in there, and change the unit_name and switch_to_waypoint variables to the correct values you want them to be. Note that if there is, for example, a formation of four aircraft, you might want to repeat this script four times, one for each aircraft (changing the unit_name to match the aircraft) .

Yea, anyway, I've tested this script and it seems to work ok. The aircraft named 'airplane' switches to waypoint 5... the only issue is that it doesn't fly directly to waypoint 5, it goes roughly towards it and then turns directly at it later.

And if you're wondering why the hell would I do a "if true then" conditional statement, it's for variable scoping... all the local variables declared in that script become local to that if statement ONLY, allowing you to use this exact same script over and over.

Edited by Speed

Lua scripts and mods:

Oh by the way, using lua to try to force the "Switch Waypoint" command on a ground unit appears to do nothing at all. Too bad.

Lua scripts and mods:

Woah cool. Did you test the behavior if you sent 1 aircraft to a waypoint and allowed the other(s) continue on as normal? It would be interesting if we could use a 4-ship with the script to enforce a racetrack CAP where one pair is upwind as the other pair goes downwind.

Woah cool. Did you test the behavior if you sent 1 aircraft to a waypoint and allowed the other(s) continue on as normal? It would be interesting if we could use a 4-ship with the script to enforce a racetrack CAP where one pair is upwind as the other pair goes downwind.

No, that's not likely to work. If I understand things correctly, each group has a controller. So when you get the controller for a unit, you get the controller for the whole group.

The controller is the object in code that does things like tasks, waypoints, that kind of stuff.

Lua scripts and mods:

Here is how I like to organize AI tasks.

WP TGT1: Assign specific task

WP TGT1 Off: Task Complete- Switch WP back to WP A

How do you realize this practical?

I tried 2 versions of your concept, but none of them worked.

Method 1:

WP 1 TGT 1: assign specific task (SEAD)

WP 1 TGT 1: switch waypoint back to orbit (condition: FlagX)

FlagX is true = SAM destroyed

Method 2:

WP 1 TGT 1: assign specific task (SEAD)

WP 2 TGT 1: switch waypoint back to orbit (condition: FlagX)

FlagX is true = SAM destroyed

But the Tornados didn't react to the "switch waypoint" task. They should switch their WP on the same WP where their target task is assigned, nor if I add a new waypoint after the target WP.

They didn't reach the next WP. My suggestion is still the SEAD task - they are very aggressive on that task.

I think also, if they overfly the waypoint with the TGT task and the "switch waypoint" task, they can't execute the switch waypoint task, because they always overflew the waypoint. And as long, as they are in the engagement, they don't fly back to the TGT WP and so, they can't execute the "switch waypoint" task, which is only activated once they reach that WP - IMO.

I hope, I could explained it, that you can understand. Damn english ... :music_whistling:

kind regards,

Fire

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Nope. What I did, was:

Advanced Actions

SEAD

switch to waypoint (condition: user is 20)

Trigger

Once -> unit destroyed (SAM unit) -> flag on 20

But you're right. I have to check a stop condition for the SEAD task. Never thought about to stop the SEAD task ... :doh:

Thanks!

kind regards,

Fire

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Ok, I tried two methods:

1. SEAD -> stop condition (is user flag X) -> flag on X = SAM destroyed

2. attack unit -> unit SAM (weapon = ARM) -> stop condition (see above)

Both methods didn't work. The Tornados are still to aggressive to abort their task, if the SAM is destroyed. :helpsmilie:

kind regards,

Fire

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 11 years later...

Sorry to resurrect an old post. 

But did anyone come up with a solution to the multiple waypoint option problem initially presented by the OP? 

I'm trying to do the same for a CAS flight atm. Orbit, then dispatch to one of two wp based on flag triggered, then landing refuel, then back to wp1. 

Cheers

Oz