Mav Targeting

stilgar99

I am having trouble with something.

According to the training I am supposed to be able to get the target that is currently selected with the targeting system (i have it set to a POINT target) to 'pass' to the maverick system by using the 'LALT-Up arrow' key command (default). It never works.

This sucks cause I can easily zoom in and find targets with the targeting pod but then when I go to the Mav I cant find them (cause the mavs wont 'zoom in')

Anyway its really a pain.

All help / suggestions appreciated.

Stilgar99

It never works for one of a couple of reasons:

You have not set up the target as the SPI (TMS UP LONG)

You are not giving the maverick a slave to SPI command properly - perhaps you're making it SHORT instead of LONG (China Hat Forward LONG).

The maverick is not your SOI (Coolie hat right or left LONG)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

when you have a point in litening, press tms up long to make spi.

then go to maverick mfd and press china hat fwd long to slave all sensors to your spi. now the mav should be looking directly at the spi you set up before via the litening tgp. tms up short to lock.

For the narrow view, press china hat fwd short. You can look up the commands and rebind them in the controls menu.

" Beaten to it LOL "

When you get a target in your TGP, set it as point tracking (TMS Forward short) I think you can set area, but I normally use point, as if the target moves off it will still track.

Once you have done this press TMS Forward long, this will set the target as your SPI. Switch to Mav page and press China Hat forward long, this will then slew your Mav over the target on your TGP that you set as SPI.

So...get target in and point or area track them, then....

TMS Forward Long

Switch to Mav page

China Hat forward long

Quick reply, but hope it helps.

"The sky is not the limit.....it's my playground!!" @paraglidecass

Is this the method everyone is using? I just want to make sure I'm doing it right and avoiding any unnecessary steps. I do the following.

(TGP in LMFD, MAV in RMFD)

1.Find target in TGP

2.TMS-U-S until point track

3.TMS-U-L to set SPI

4.Coolie hat R-L to make Mav SOI

5.China hat F-L to slave Mav to SPI

then usually I have to

6.China hat F-S to narrow FOV

7.TMS-U-S to track

Cursor flashes when in range and within cone of influence.

8.Rifle!

Am I doing that right?

I've also been practicing using mark points to set up runs with multiple mav launches. This is the way I've been doing it.

1.Find target in TGP

2.TMS-R-S to set mark point

Repeat 1 & 2 for other targets

Start run in

3.With HUD as SOI, set steerpoint to first markpoint

5.China hat A-L to slave to steerpoint

6.China hat F-S for FOV

7.TMS U-S to track

8.Rifle!

9.Repeat from step 3 for next targets

Again, same question. Is there another way I could be doing this that may be easier?

Corsair Graphite 780T / ASUS Maximus VIII Hero / i7-6700K@4.5GHz / Corsair H110i / 32GB DDR4 PC-2666 / ASUS 1080 Strix / EVGA 850 Pro / Samsung 950 Pro M.2 SSD / Win10x64 / Samsung UN48JU7500 4k / Logitech G910/933 KB/Headphones / Razer Naga Epic Mouse / MFG Crosswinds / TM HOTAS Warthog / HTC Vive

Is this the method everyone is using? I just want to make sure I'm doing it right and avoiding any unnecessary steps. I do the following.

1.Find target in TGP

3.TMS-U-L to set SPI

then usually I have to

7.TMS-U-S to track

8.Rifle!

Am I doing that right?

Pretty much. The only thing I can see that might not be necessary is step 4. I don't think you need to change SOI before slaving all. That might have changed in the new patch?

I've also been practicing using mark points to set up runs with multiple mav launches. This is the way I've been doing it.

1.Find target in TGP

Start run in

6.China hat F-S for FOV

7.TMS U-S to track

8.Rifle!

Again, same question. Is there another way I could be doing this that may be easier?

One issue - china hat aft long slaves the TGP to the steerpoint, not mavericks. If the TGP is SOI and the mav is slaved to SOI, that would work. Or you can hit TMS aft long to set steerpoint as SPI, then use china hat forward to slave the mav. That way you can step through your points on the hud and the mavs should slew to them.

Edited by bartleby
DCS Wiki! :book:

1.Find target in TGP

3.TMS-U-L to set SPI

then usually I have to

7.TMS-U-S to track

8.Rifle!

Am I doing that right?

1.Find target in TGP

Start run in

6.China hat F-S for FOV

7.TMS U-S to track

8.Rifle!

This is the way I do it also.

Step 4 (of first procedure) is necessary, as you will need the Mav to be SOI so you can TMS-U-S to have it attempt an image capture.

Ok Im still having trouble.

I do what folks advise above and yes..it DOES slew the mav to the Tgt point. However, even on a nice clear tank...its not locked on. (yes im in range). I find I have to slew off of it and back on to get it to 'lock on'.

Why wont it lock on right away?

Stilgar

Ok Im still having trouble.

I do what folks advise above and yes..it DOES slew the mav to the Tgt point. However, even on a nice clear tank...its not locked on. (yes im in range). I find I have to slew off of it and back on to get it to 'lock on'.

Why wont it lock on right away?

Stilgar

Are you sure you're pressing TMS up short after you slew onto a target? IIRC, if you order "slave all to SPI" the maverick doesn't lock. You have to tell it to first. It could just be that you're too far for the seeker head to see. Their resolution is a lot less than your TGP's.

One issue - china hat aft long slaves the TGP to the steerpoint, not mavericks. If the TGP is SOI and the mav is slaved to SOI, that would work. Or you can hit TMS aft long to set steerpoint as SPI, then use china hat forward to slave the mav. That way you can step through your points on the hud and the mavs should slew to them.

You're right. This is how I should be doing it. In theory, once the mav is slaved to the SPI which is set to Steerpoint, I could step through the points and use china hat fwd short while in the HUD to switch SOI to MAV.

I could be mistaken, but it doesn't seem that there is a direct way to cycle steerpoints while the MAV is SOI. You seem to either have to be in the HUD or use the rocker on the UFC.

Anyway, thanks for your help Bartleby

Corsair Graphite 780T / ASUS Maximus VIII Hero / i7-6700K@4.5GHz / Corsair H110i / 32GB DDR4 PC-2666 / ASUS 1080 Strix / EVGA 850 Pro / Samsung 950 Pro M.2 SSD / Win10x64 / Samsung UN48JU7500 4k / Logitech G910/933 KB/Headphones / Razer Naga Epic Mouse / MFG Crosswinds / TM HOTAS Warthog / HTC Vive

Stilgar- this is not perfect- but a decent assumption is:

Mav D- will establish a track (lock on) around 8 nm or slightly less..

Mav H- around 6 nm

There will be variables with this, but when you hit these thresholds- start cycling "TMS up short" every couple of seconds until the cross + is flashing. You're not doing it wrong- you're just looking for the magic a bit early.

Easy to do- because one can see that the range caret on the left side of the MAV screen is well within the range scale before it will actually lock on to anything- most of the time.

Edited by S77th-konkussion

1.Find target in TGP

Start run in

6.China hat F-S for FOV

7.TMS U-S to track

8.Rifle!

Oh cool. Im going to try this now. I havent set up mark points as of yet.

Man its real funny how that tutorial was so bad for maverics!

The way they teach you to use them is the way I never use them. They never even mentioned tgp in that tutorial.

However this does seem cumbersome. Isnt there a quick way to flip around targets, releasing mavs?

Edited by bloomstomb

Can you do the opposite? If I am locked in with the Maverick can I have the TGP automatically track the Maverick position?

Thermaltake Core P90 Tempered Glass//Thermaltake iRGB Plus 1200W//GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS MASTER LGA 1151//i9-9900K//Thermaltake CL420 Copper Radiator//Thermaltake W4 Plus//Thermaltake 140mm Radiator Fan Triple Pack//Samsung 1TB 970 EVO NVMe M2//SAMSUNG 970 EVO M.2 500GB //CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 64GB 3200//GIGABYTE AORUS GeForce RTX 2080 TI//Logitech G940//Virpil MT50 Throttle//MFG Crosswind rudder pedals//Geko GSeat//Gametrix Jetseat//Htc Vive//Pimax 5k+//Viril VFX//Razer Nari Ultimate

Can you do the opposite? If I am locked in with the Maverick can I have the TGP automatically track the Maverick position?

You should be able to. With Mav as SOI, hit TMS up long, then china hat forward long to slave al to the SPI. I'd recommend working the other way around, though. The TGP's resolution is way higher than a mav's.

You should be able to. With Mav as SOI, hit TMS up long, then china hat forward long to slave al to the SPI. I'd recommend working the other way around, though. The TGP's resolution is way higher than a mav's.

Yeah, but i'm a noob so I use labels for vehicles. It's pretty cool to watch the artillery with labels. I bet some of you hardcore have flown through and had no clue. I'll give your recommendation a try.

Thanks

Thermaltake Core P90 Tempered Glass//Thermaltake iRGB Plus 1200W//GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS MASTER LGA 1151//i9-9900K//Thermaltake CL420 Copper Radiator//Thermaltake W4 Plus//Thermaltake 140mm Radiator Fan Triple Pack//Samsung 1TB 970 EVO NVMe M2//SAMSUNG 970 EVO M.2 500GB //CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 64GB 3200//GIGABYTE AORUS GeForce RTX 2080 TI//Logitech G940//Virpil MT50 Throttle//MFG Crosswind rudder pedals//Geko GSeat//Gametrix Jetseat//Htc Vive//Pimax 5k+//Viril VFX//Razer Nari Ultimate

• 2 months later...
when you have a point in litening, press tms up long to make spi.

then go to maverick mfd and press china hat fwd long to slave all sensors to your spi. now the mav should be looking directly at the spi you set up before via the litening tgp. tms up short to lock.

For the narrow view, press china hat fwd short. You can look up the commands and rebind them in the controls menu.

I´ve got a question which really starts to become annoying.

Once the TGP is set on the target, and the target point is set to SPI and the Maverick seeker is slaved to the SPI I only would have to TMS forward short to lock the target (flashing Cross in the MAV sensor). What condistions are needed to lock it up. For me it sometimes work and sometimes it does not. I dont know why or what I am doing wrong. I can hit TMS ffw short as often as I want...no lock. Can someone pls clear me up about this?

Thanks

DCS-Tutorial-Collection       

BlackSharkDen - Helicopter only

Specs:: ASrock Z790 Pro RS; Intel i5-13600K @5,1Ghz; 64GB DDR5 RAM; RTX 3080 @10GB; Corsair RMX Serie 750; 2x SSD 850 EVO 1x860 EVO 500GB 1x nvme M.2 970 EVO 1TB; 1x nvme M.2 980 Pro 2TB+ 3 TB HDD

Hardware: Oculus Rift S; HOTAS Warthog; Saitek Rudder Pedals, K-51 Collective

I´ve got a question which really starts to become annoying.

Once the TGP is set on the target, and the target point is set to SPI and the Maverick seeker is slaved to the SPI I only would have to TMS forward short to lock the target (flashing Cross in the MAV sensor). What condistions are needed to lock it up. For me it sometimes work and sometimes it does not. I dont know why or what I am doing wrong. I can hit TMS ffw short as often as I want...no lock. Can someone pls clear me up about this?

Thanks

To lock on a target the MAV seeker head must be able to "see" the target, i.e. the contrast between the target and the background must be sharp enough. In simple words: the maverick seeker head can lock on targets that are no more than 7-8 miles away, if distance is higher no lock will be achieved.

To lock on a target the MAV seeker head must be able to "see" the target, i.e. the contrast between the target and the background must be sharp enough. In simple words: the maverick seeker head can lock on targets that are no more than 7-8 miles away, if distance is higher no lock will be achieved.

Thanks for that reply. What is about a closer distance? Is there a minimum distance I have to keep to enable the seeker to lock?

DCS-Tutorial-Collection       

BlackSharkDen - Helicopter only

Specs:: ASrock Z790 Pro RS; Intel i5-13600K @5,1Ghz; 64GB DDR5 RAM; RTX 3080 @10GB; Corsair RMX Serie 750; 2x SSD 850 EVO 1x860 EVO 500GB 1x nvme M.2 970 EVO 1TB; 1x nvme M.2 980 Pro 2TB+ 3 TB HDD

Hardware: Oculus Rift S; HOTAS Warthog; Saitek Rudder Pedals, K-51 Collective