CDU Offset Tutorial

WarriorX

I was inspired by a thread that Bahger created, and some great links that bartleby provided (Thank you Gentlemen!) to write up another Tutorial based on the Offset Page of the CDU.

I have said it before, and I will say it again....the CDU is the "Final Frontier". So let's put those previously unused Bullseye Calls to use, using the CDU.

This Tutorial covers how to take a Bullseye Call from AWACS and turn it into a waypoint you can navigate to, and engage with "great vengence, and furious anger!!" (nod to Pulp Fiction and Tarantino, and Samuel L. Jackson)

I hope you will find it helpful, and as always, please let me know if there are any needed revisions or corrections.

CDU Offset Tutorial is attached below in PDF format.

Good Hunting.

CDU OFFSET TUTORIAL 04-14-2011.pdf

Edited by WarriorX
  • Like 14

Hi,

Your stuff is aces!

Thanks for the effort.

You have an engineer's mind.

Erich

I was inspired by a thread that Bahger created, and some great links that bartleby provided (Thank you Gentlemen!) to write up another Tutorial based on the Offset Page of the CDU.

I have said it before, and I will say it again....the CDU is the "Final Frontier". So let's put those previously unused Bullseye Calls to use, using the CDU.

This Tutorial covers how to take a Bullseye Call from AWACS and turn it into a waypoint you can navigate to, and engage with "great vengence, and furious anger!!" (nod to Pulp Fiction and Tarantino, and Samuel L. Jackson)

I hope you will find it helpful, and as always, please let me know if there are any needed revisions or corrections.

CDU Offset Tutorial is attached below in PDF format.

Good Hunting.

AAAARRRRGGGGHHHHH!! Where was this 3 hours ago when I was trying to figure out how to mark the Initial Point for a landing?? Awesome tutorial WX. Confirmed what I had finally figured out and taught me a few new things. Thanks!

Well we all are still learning, thats the fun part!

I for example, have just been illuminated by a good hearted forum member, as to one of my bigger fubar's...all I can do is laugh, and shake my head.

You see, I have been thanking DCS in all my Tutorials, and I really should be thanking Eagle Dynamics. DCS=Game Series Title, ED=Game Company.

I will get it right in my next Tutorial.

To put how I feel right now in picture form:

caveman.jpg

• Like 1

Man...I have been wondering how to actually use a bullseye call. Thank you. :thumbup:

• Like 1

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." - Leonardo da Vinci

Intel i7-4790k | Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo heat sink | Thermaltake Core V71 case | 750W EVGA PSU | 8gb G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 RAM | MSI Z97 Gaming 5 LGA 1150 motherboard | Samsung SSD | ASUS STRIX GTX 970 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | TIR 5 | Razer Deathadder | Corsair K70

Ooooh, so THAT'S what the offset page really is for. :doh:

I completlly ignored this page because i through it was for something completely different (see page V-11 from JP3-09-3, offset direction on ingress to target, to separate from friendlily artillery line of fire).

I feel just like the picture you posted too. :lol:

AMD Athlon II X2 240 2.8@3360 MHz | MB Asus M4A78-EM | 4GB DDR2-800 Kingston | XFX HD 5770 @850-900/1200-1300 | 500G Samsung HD502HI | Case CM 335 | CM-EPP 460W | Windows 7 Ultimate (64bit) | Saitek X65F | Freetrack(Wii Remote) | LG 23' W2353V

Thank you, sir.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Intel i7-8700K @4.9Ghz | 32Gb memory DDR4 | Evga GTX 1080ti | Saitek Eclipse keyboard |

Logitech Mx518 | CH Fighterstick, Pro Throttle/Pedales | TIr5 | Win10 x64

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Unbelievable! I was saying to my flying buddys the other day that the Bullseye / TAD / Offset sytem was the "elephant in the room" with regards to the mssing part of our toolset. Was trying to follow others explanations last night but brain was not in the right gear.

The TAD system is too innacurate and fiddly for me would prefer the accuracy of the CDU.

Cheers my man!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 9700k | 32gb DDR4 | Geforce 2080ti | TrackIR 5 | Rift S | HOTAS WARTHOG | CH PRO Pedals

Great! :thumbup:

ThX!

+1 Rep :smartass:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

http://www.69squadrone.it

S.O: Win7 64bit

MB: ASUS 1366 P6X58D-E (Audio card integrated)

CPU: INTEL Core i7 950 3.06Ghz 8MB

GPU: GTX470 Gainward 1280MB GDDR5 "Golden Sample"

HD: Western Digital 500GB WD5000AAKS 7200rpm 16MB

RAM: DDR3 1333Mhz PC10666 6GB Kingston

Accessories:TrackIR5 6DOF, Hotas Cougar.

Thank you!!!! Can you concentrate all your tutorials in one common place for easy reference?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

ASUS M4A79 Deluxe, AMD Phenom II X4 940@3.5GHz, ATI 6870 1GB, Windows 7 64bit, Kingstone HyperX 4GB, 2x Western Digital Raptor 74GB, Asus Xonar DX Sound Card, Saitek X52 PRO, TrackIR 44: Pro.

Thank you!!!! Can you concentrate all your tutorials in one common place for easy reference?

I have them in my signature line, and on the DCS Wiki site

I have them in my signature line, and on the DCS Wiki site

LOL didn't notice thanks again. :thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

ASUS M4A79 Deluxe, AMD Phenom II X4 940@3.5GHz, ATI 6870 1GB, Windows 7 64bit, Kingstone HyperX 4GB, 2x Western Digital Raptor 74GB, Asus Xonar DX Sound Card, Saitek X52 PRO, TrackIR 44: Pro.

Thank you for taking the time to do this, and your other tutorials.

+Rep incoming.

Edit: ok, rep not incoming. Apparently I've given you too much previously! So +1 virtual rep then!

Edited by epoch

Thanks, WarriorX, top notch as always.

Other useful applications of the Offset page include:

1. Creating a break-to waypoint relative to a target point - provides a reference to fly to as you break away after releasing weapons during an attack run. Use the Offset to set a point 90 degrees off your attack course, toward the "friendly" side if such a thing exists.

2. Creating an approach fix relative to the airbase you intend to land at, especially when said airbase is different from that issued in your original flight plan. Using the airbase as the base waypoint, create an offset waypoint 10nm out and on the reciprocal runway heading for use as an approach fix. Especially helpful in bad weather / poor visibility.

3. Setting a waypoint when approach control instructs, "HAWG 11, fly 235 for 20...". Mark your current position and create the offset at 235/20 from there.

I agree the CDU is kind of a "final frontier" for me, too, and a very useful tool indeed.

• Like 2

Zenra

Intel i7 930 2.8GHz; ATI HD5850 1GB; 1TB Serial ATA-II; 12GB DDR3-1333; 24 x DL DVD+/-RW Drive; 800W PSU; Win7-64; TM Warthog HOTAS

Thanks again for another great tutorial.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Lian Li 011 Dynamic Evo, Core i9 11900K @ 5.0GHz, Corsair H150i CPU cooler, Asus Prime Z590-A, Radeon RX6800 XT64GB, Team T-Force Delta DDR4 3600, Corsair RM1000X PSU,  Win 11 x64

WarriorX, i have a question. Whilst testing your tutorial i created several WP's succesfully but when i slaved my TGP, i was looking at the sky.

As the bullseye co-ordiantes are 2D, and the TGP looks at 3D space, do we have a way of applying an elevation to the created waypoint? (at work so cant fiddle)

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 9700k | 32gb DDR4 | Geforce 2080ti | TrackIR 5 | Rift S | HOTAS WARTHOG | CH PRO Pedals

THANKS!!

Thanks Warrior for another great clear, helpful and very well designed tutorial! WOW!

Perhaps I can add my personal way to play around with BULLSEYE CALLS… Just for the fun of adding to the discussion.

When in the heat of battle, you can get many different BULLSEYE calls very quickly, some that can be very helpful. They can come from friendly aircraft operating near you and calling their targets, they can show you the location of enemy assets and, especially, SAMs and other threat… They can also come from AWACS. Those indication are very precious for a better SA and you need to process them quickly.

I like to use the TAD for this purpose :

-Set the TAD as SOI

-Hook something (yourself, for example) with TMS forward short (that will make active the bearing and range indicator in the lower right corner of the TAD.

-At first, the default indicator gives you the bearing and range from HOOK TO OWN which, if you just hooked yourself, should give you 000/000 J

-press OSM 18 6x and you now have BULL TO CURS (Bullseye to TAD cursor indicator) and you have now a very quick way to look around to check where are those BULLSEYE locations.

-you can even make mark points with the most important locations (threats, SAMs, etc) with TMS right short, and then, if you put your AAP dial to the MARK position, you will be able to see the markpoint icons in the TAD as well as steerpoints in the HUD.

That can give a real boost to your SA. Hope this helps and is clear enough (without the nice annotated pictures of Warrior:smilewink:)

JEFX

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

In DCS I fly jets with thousands of pounds of thrust...

In real life I fly a humble Cessna Hawx XP II with 210 HP :D

Thanks a lot always for your Tutorials WarriorX, always on the spot!

If you let me make one small suggestion, that would be to change the background colour/pattern to a plain white for a more printer friendlier version. Not that it doesnt look good, I prefer it the way it is if I´m reading from my screen, but I cant afford printing, not after having spent a full black ink cartridge and 2/3 of the three remaining canon colour ink cartridges..!

Thanks mate, keep up the great work!

Cheers, Phil

Banned by cunts.

apache01.png

Thanks a lot always for your Tutorials WarriorX, always on the spot!

If you let me make one small suggestion, that would be to change the background colour/pattern to a plain white for a more printer friendlier version. Not that it doesnt look good, I prefer it the way it is if I´m reading from my screen, but I cant afford printing, not after having spent a full black ink cartridge and 2/3 of the three remaining canon colour ink cartridges..!

Thanks mate, keep up the great work!

Cheers, Phil

Hi Phil,

You are not the first to request a print friendly version. I decided when I started to opt for a more polished, professional look, rather than the spartan printer friendly style.

You can cut the text from the PDF, and paste it into a word doc, and then print that out, but you miss the pictures.

Thanks for the feedback.

I really like the additional information, points of view, and hearing what other ways you guys are using to manage the fight. Keep it up!, everyone learns when you all put in your 2 cents.

WarriorX, i have a question. Whilst testing your tutorial i created several WP's succesfully but when i slaved my TGP, i was looking at the sky.

As the bullseye co-ordiantes are 2D, and the TGP looks at 3D space, do we have a way of applying an elevation to the created waypoint? (at work so cant fiddle)

Yeah I noticed the same thing, but I only expected this technique to get me in the general vicinity, and start putting my TGP to good use.

Let me know what you find regarding the elevation for a 2D waypoint.