CDU Offset Tutorial

WarriorX

My usual method for dealing with a waypoint 'in the sky' when I want it on the ground, is just to re-enter its coordinates into the CDU. Normally I switch to L/L so I can just enter the latitude, which tends to be the shortest sequence. Once you do that, it'll set the elevation to whatever ground level happens to be.

If you already happen to know what altitude the ground is at, you can just enter it directly of course.

Another Great Tutorial Warrior, Thanks very much for your efforts!

Hornet, Super Carrier, Warthog & (II), Mustang, Spitfire, Albatross, Sabre, Combined Arms, FC3, Nevada, Gulf, Normandy, Syria AH-6J

i9 10900K @ 5.0GHz, Gigabyte Z490 Vision G, Cooler Master ML120L, Gigabyte RTX3080 OC Gaming 10Gb, 64GB RAM, Reverb G2 @ 2480x2428, TM Warthog, Saitek pedals & throttle, DIY collective, TrackIR4, Cougar MFDs, vx3276-2k

Combat Wombat's Airfield & Enroute Maps and Planning Tools

cw1.png

My usual method for dealing with a waypoint 'in the sky' when I want it on the ground, is just to re-enter its coordinates into the CDU. Normally I switch to L/L so I can just enter the latitude, which tends to be the shortest sequence. Once you do that, it'll set the elevation to whatever ground level happens to be.

If you already happen to know what altitude the ground is at, you can just enter it directly of course.

That's what i was thinking. Once we have the waypoint saved using this bullseye/offset method, we should then be able to edit the waypoint as any other, including the elevation.

I think :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 9700k | 32gb DDR4 | Geforce 2080ti | TrackIR 5 | Rift S | HOTAS WARTHOG | CH PRO Pedals

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks for the tutorial. Its the inspiration for the video below.

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=1189172&postcount=1

Thanks Fish! enjoyed watching your video! Well done sir!

I just posted in that thread! What a coincidence.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to Fish and Warrior X for their helpful contributions.

A Quick Q. Would you have a quick word of advice for creating a mission with awacs that would be able to pick out targets? --or is it pretty self-explanatory.

Should AWACS have certain paramaters--ie distance from/to tgts?

...I guess I could always try it out myself like an adult... :(

Anyway... lol

Thanks for any advice,

Moosh

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Win7 | Intel Core 2 Quad | Q8400 @ 2.66GHz | 2.67 GHz 3.37GB of RAM 60gig Samsung SSD| GTX 570

"Operation: Bull by the Horns" "Bull Run 2.0"

Hi Mooshim,

First, the AWACS should be calling out only Air targets, we need a JSTAR for movers. I could have sworn in the past I heard the AWACS call out a ground target to me, but either I must be wrong or I was confusing it with another friendly asset's radio call.

Other Bluefor units should call out their contacts/targets over their assigned radio freq.

Well my best advice is that you need to create a mission with plenty of friendly air assets, and put them all on the same radio frequency. (Like UHF 251.00)

F-15E Strike eagles would be good, also AH-64D Apaches.

WX as usual... You're a gent.. THX

Those would never have occurred to me.

~CHEERS

Thanks! glad to help.

very helphul and easy..thank you very much

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]W10(64bit)Asus Rog Strix Z370-F - i7 8700K - Dark Rock Pro 4 - 16 giga ram Corsair vengeance 3000 - MSI RTX 2070 Super - Asus Rog Phobeus soundcard - Z906 Surround speaker - Track ir5 - HOTAS Warthog

Hi Mooshim,

First, the AWACS should be calling out only Air targets, we need a JSTAR for movers.

Other Bluefor units should call out their contacts/targets over their assigned radio freq.

Well my best advice is that you need to create a mission with plenty of friendly air assets, and put them all on the same radio frequency. (Like UHF 251.00)

F-15E Strike eagles would be good, also AH-64D Apaches.

Put up a predator (on AFAC)... --he seems to be calling out UTM coords.

Tried to put a strike eagle up there on Recon or AFAC...but it's not allowing me to. (trying to avoid setting it on ground attack so that he'll assign me the work).

Will continue to work on it with other air assets so as to get somebody to call out L/L coords...so I can put this thread to work.

Thanks for the help.

Will put up a miz for others when it's done.

EDIT:

Hmm...

It seems I've misunderstood.

Fish seems to call AWACS for a bullseye call.

Have implemented AWACS E3 and no joy for targets he flies over.

--I DID notice that predator tallies armor with a bullseye call, but gives a UTM Coord nineline. --Bizarre.

--Wonder if this is SOP (?)

--Not getting discouraged. I'll try this again...

~Moosh

Edited by mooshim

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Win7 | Intel Core 2 Quad | Q8400 @ 2.66GHz | 2.67 GHz 3.37GB of RAM 60gig Samsung SSD| GTX 570

Nine lines come from JTAC, you won't be getting direction distance from Bullseye from JTAC, grid is more precise. AWACs only calls out other enemy aircraft. If you have predator up and not setup as JTAC and he is overflying targets he may call out their position with the direction distance for you to use the offset.

I haven't made missions in the editor, so under the hood I am not sure sure how it is setup. I would imagine if it just did an orbit over a target rich environment and you are on his frequency you should hear calls. Recon sounds about right.

Nine lines come from JTAC, you won't be getting direction distance from Bullseye from JTAC, grid is more precise. AWACs only calls out other enemy aircraft. If you have predator up and not setup as JTAC and he is overflying targets he may call out their position with the direction distance for you to use the offset.

It seems from Fish's vid that he called for awacs...

Thanks so much 4 your help BTW

Edit:

It seems as though bullseye calls are given on command in fish's example...so I'm a bit confused.

I DO hear random calls on occasion from a predator set up as afac.

Would love to be able to request coords and get them on command.

Thanks.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yeah AWACs will generally give bullseye calls to enemy aircraft. That should give you a general idea of what the enemy aircraft are doing. Range and what they are doing in relation to you. It's not practical to do an offset for that. Those are more instinctual calls. The offset is useful when other aircraft see stuff on the ground and that may be what the AWACs was doing, actually flying close enough to see them because as far as I know AWACs has no systems for identifying ground targets other than their eyeballs. The only thing that you can request on the fly from AWACs is picture of enemy aircraft. For using the offset for ground target locations you just need to listen for the calls and jot them down for creating that offset waypoint. If you miss one, you can't radio back to have them resend.

I'm pretty new to this too, so if I am wrong, someone please jump in and correct.

He calls for a picture but AWACs says picture is clean at 50 seconds in. Then later, it looks like Uzi calls in the AAA at 2:30 into the video (unless that is a bug where Wizard the AWACs announces himself as Uzi). That wouldn't be AWACs coming back with his requested picture, it is just another allied flight finding that target and making the call. He does request home plate to AWACs which gives him magnetic heading and distance as normal.

I hope I am not confused or confusing you. Ultimately, you cannot call AWACs to give you an offset (dir/dist) for ground targets. Those will just be fed to you in real time on the fly by allied flights. That is the summary of how it works. I'll humbly stand corrected if it is different and would welcome to learn otherwise. Nothing worse than dishing out bad info!

• 2 weeks later...

I thought I'd put this mission up for others to practice what's happening here.

Thanks to Warrior X and Fish for the inspiration.

This is a Low to Medium difficulty mission.

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=74111

Opportunity to practice Bullseye Calls coords entry into OSET page of the CDU.

Opportunity to practice searching for targets with TGP.

Opportunity to practice refueling if thirsty.

Opportunity to get coordinates from AFAC (if frustrated with Bullseye calls).

2 Mavs

4 CBUs

Seven Targets

Bullseye calls come approximately every 7 minutes.

AWACS is available to provide directions to KC 135 for refueling.

It's a simple mission...Wheels up at sundown.

Hope it's fun.

It's my first contribution. Inspired by FISH's video instruction re: OFFSET coord Entry.

Cheers,

Moosh

P.S.

Would really welcome a suggestion or two to improve.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]