Chizh

32 or 64  

1450 members have voted

1. 1. 32 or 64

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In terms of performance, in a low end system where Im struggling to run it smoothly at low/med settings, what would be better, 32 or 64 bits?

Intel Core i7 2.66GHz, 8GB 1067Mhz DDR3, Nvidia GeForce GT330M 288MB, Seagate Momentum 500Gb 7200.4 HDD, W7 64bits

Banned by cunts.

apache01.png

In terms of performance, in a low end system where Im struggling to run it smoothly at low/med settings, what would be better, 32 or 64 bits?

Intel Core i7 2.66GHz, 8GB 1067Mhz DDR3, Nvidia GeForce GT330M 288MB, Seagate Momentum 500Gb 7200.4 HDD, W7 64bits

There is no real intrinsic performance difference between 32 and 64-bit. The advantages of 64-bit are more complex than that.

However, if by "low-end" you mean the system you linked, you should absolutely not even start to possibly think about maybe at some point in an alternate universe run 32-bit on it. Ever. Reason is simply that you have 8GB of RAM. 4GB of that would be rendered completely useless if you were to run a 32-bit OS on it.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

I have both on my machine ,I'm trying to see what the differences are in the game (I assume x86 is 32 bit version) I am running Windows 7 64bit on an i7 system with 6 GB Ram and Radeon HD 5700 with TrackIR.

Why is it that I get almost double the frame rate on the x86 binary with settings the same? With medium options at 1080 I get around 40fps at 10,000 feet on 64bit and it goes down to around 25fps or less as I get below 100 feet with lots of targets or buildings. With x86 the same scene plays around 60-65fps

I'm thinking it's my Radeon card or Direct X? I have the latest drivers installed.

Asus P6 MB i7 6GB OC'd 3.8Ghz Win 7 64bit Cogage Cooler Radeon 6870 OC'd 975Mhz Core 1250 MHz RAM TM Afterburner TrackIR

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] Aardvarking it

dbeaty, I'd recommend opening a thread in the tech support section about that because something definitely sounds like it's off. Please include dxdiags from both OSes, and the relevant track file you used to measure FPS. Exact details of the options used (doublcheck all of them as well, just in case) would also be good.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

|
| Life of a Game Tester

dbeaty, I'd recommend opening a thread in the tech support section about that because something definitely sounds like it's off. .

OK EtherealN, I'll try to do some more testing. In the 64 bit version, It seems like as mission time goes on frame rate degrades more and more.

I am wondering what obvious improvements I should see using 64 vs 32 bit versions, should it be a noticeable improvement in terms of speed? Or is it that just a couple of graphics options are diff? I only have the 64 bit OS, but both binaries of the sim to try.

Asus P6 MB i7 6GB OC'd 3.8Ghz Win 7 64bit Cogage Cooler Radeon 6870 OC'd 975Mhz Core 1250 MHz RAM TM Afterburner TrackIR

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] Aardvarking it

The main difference between 32 and 64 bit is memory adress space. As long as the sim ends up not needing more than what is adressable through 32-bit, you'll find no difference at all. Thing is - it often will need more than that, especially if larger textures and such is used. This would cause the 32-bit version to either just crash with an access violation, or cause frequent load stutter as the application finds itself having to continually dump assets to HDD and then re-read them again soon after.

Please do create a separate thread though. This is a poll, not a tech support thread. ;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

|
| Life of a Game Tester

anecdote: i switched from win7 32 bit to win7 64bit on the same machine, and roughly doubled my framerates, even with increased graphics settings. i have a modern GPU (geforce GTX 460), but a somewhat older CPU (intel 2.4ghz quad Q6600), and 4gb ram. very glad i switched!

My gaming PC, on which I have FC2, Ka-50 and A-10C installed, runs on Windows 7 64-bit. By far the best OS that Microsoft has ever released.

System Spec: Cooler Master Cosmos C700P Black Edition case. | AMD 5950X CPU | MSI RTX-3090 GPU | 32GB HyperX Predator PC4000 RAM | | TM Warthog stick & throttle | TrackIR 5 | Samsung 980 Pro NVMe 4 SSD 1TB (boot) | Samsung 870 QVO SSD 4TB (games) | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

Personal wish list: DCS: Su-27SM & DCS: Avro Vulcan.

x64 Windows 7 here. Been running 64 bit ever since XP Pro 64 beta.

Custom Built PC: Asus Mobo, Intel i5 760 CPU (OC 3.36GHz), Corsair 8GB DDR5 RAM, Corsair Water Cooling, nVidia GXT 560 Ti, SB X-Fi Titanium, Bigfoot Killer Nic 2100, Samsung 27" 1MS Monitor, B&W MM1 Speakers, Razor Black Widow Keyboard, Logitech G5 Mouse, 32GB Corsair SSD (OS), 80GB Intel SSD (Games), WD 150GB Raptor HD (Apps), WD 250GB HD (Data), 2TB & 1TB External Backup HD, Saitek X52 Pro Controller,

Hi all

Yeah running 64bit here now only swapped from 32bit 2 weeks ago and it makes big diffrence to my rig the game is so smoother and pretty much most of settings on high bar civ traffic to off

win 7 64bit

intel i5

4 gig of ram

ati 5850 think lol