position control stick A-10 ?

mladen

Hi guys, :)

I am in process of building my first general purpose cockpit based on ABC design.

Regarding de control stick position … some forum members advice NOT to position the stick in the center (between the legs) due to the possible wrist damage. I was also reading that rotating the control stick for 10-20° counter-clockwise (to the left) could solve the problem.

I am interested in the experience of those of you who are using canter-positioned control stick. Is it really so bad? :(

Thanks for your input

Regards

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My pit

i7-3770K (3500 MHz) | Corsair Hydro H110 | Corsair Carbide 500R | ASUS P8Z77-V Pro |

16GB Corsair CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9 (4X4GB)| GTX 1080 + GTX750 |520 GB SSD | PSU Antec HCP-850

1x27", 1x21", 1x19" | SB X-Fi | TIR5+Clip Pro |TMHW | Saitek Rudder | Helios | G-13 | G-110 | Win7 x64

I'd say the other way around. Centered stick in correct level with an aprox 13-15 degrees left twist of the handle would get you the most ergonomic config. If you got the possibility, get an extension to the stick keeping the gimbal "floorside" to further lower 'twist' of the wrist (no joke intended :-) when pushing stick forward-aft. Adds a bit of extra control also.

- - - -

Most of the planes (at leat military class cockpit simulators that i ve been, and pictures i ve seen) have a slight rotation to maintain ergonomics when installed "beetween the legs" (no pun please).

Unfortunatly (and fortunatly for those who have it ) TM Warthog is the only one that accept rotation to adapt ergonomics.

So i think the ergonomic warning is more for the sticks that doesn t accept this rotation as beeing where it should been (no pun inteded please) it will force your twist in an ankward position.

Most stick producers still have a myope "on the desk" approach whereas they should think a little forward.

HaF 922, Asus rampage extreme 3 gene, I7 950 with Noctua D14, MSI gtx 460 hawk, G skill 1600 8gb, 1.5 giga samsung HD.

Track IR 5, Hall sensed Cougar, Hall sensed TM RCS TM Warthog(2283), TM MFD, Saitek pro combat rudder, Cougar MFD.

I have mine center mounted and it is fine, I prefer it to the side that is for sure. I can now have my mouse to the side and not in the way of the stick either.

As has been pointed out, the actual planes have them rotated. Even so, I dont think it is the same for us in a sim pit. We dont have the real forces and probably a lot of people are not holding the stick as you would _need_ to in a real plane to keep good control.

At least with the TM WH there are a few different ways to rotate it.

Its more a question of ergonomic than control...

HaF 922, Asus rampage extreme 3 gene, I7 950 with Noctua D14, MSI gtx 460 hawk, G skill 1600 8gb, 1.5 giga samsung HD.

Track IR 5, Hall sensed Cougar, Hall sensed TM RCS TM Warthog(2283), TM MFD, Saitek pro combat rudder, Cougar MFD.

... Also the added lenght you can have on a center placed stick DOES give you more precise stick-handeling in stressfull situations. And makes holding a constant balanced position (like a nose high approach for landing) much easyer.! But I guess you're not going to extend your stick?

"But (504)Brewber said they were'nt friendly.. So I took'em out.!"

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi, :)

Thank you very much to all of you who replied to my forum topic. :thumbup:

After reading your voluble replies and the information which I gathered from SimHQ forum ... it is obvious that the flight stick handle "must" be rotated slightly (15°) to the left if one wants to position the stick in the center (between the legs) and still fly comfortably.

I will definitely mount the flight stick in the center as in the real Hog, the question is only whether the physical dimensions of my cockpit will allow me to extend the flight stick and still achieve full stick motion. This will be clear during/after the cockpit assembly.

It seems that there is also an option to rotate the virtual axis via TARGET software ... RotateDXAxis(DX_X_AXIS, DX_Y_AXIS, -15); without any hardware modification. :idea:

Anyway... there is much work in head of me and not afraid of it ... :music_whistling:

Have a nice flight and be careful up there :pilotfly:

Gr, Mladen

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My pit

i7-3770K (3500 MHz) | Corsair Hydro H110 | Corsair Carbide 500R | ASUS P8Z77-V Pro |

16GB Corsair CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9 (4X4GB)| GTX 1080 + GTX750 |520 GB SSD | PSU Antec HCP-850

1x27", 1x21", 1x19" | SB X-Fi | TIR5+Clip Pro |TMHW | Saitek Rudder | Helios | G-13 | G-110 | Win7 x64