Slack on TM HOTAS Warthog?

@Vapour, how does your stick slack and what did you say to TM and how did they respond? Do the videos I posted here resemble the problem you had? Can you make a video like I did just so I can compare it?

I'm considering replying to them pushing my case and maybe linking to this thread for what it's worth.

I have the same amount of slack on the x axis and a little bit more on the y, i'll make a video on Sunday, i'm off for the weekend.

I explained to them that was 4mm of travel from the back to the front that had no resistance and 3mm left to right with the same, I told them that the movement still registered in game. I asked him if this was normal for such a high end joystick. He said it wasn't normal and told me to send it back to Amazon for a replacement, I told him I would send him back the stick on it's own if he wanted because the throttle was ok, but he stuck with the full replacement advice.

I measured the travel with a ruler against a straight edge.

Hope this helps :)

On the inside of the warthog is a cylinder with 4 holes for the guide posts, this cylinder is under pressure of the spring that centers the stick. The guidepost holes is what the slack is, if they are not "tight" around the posts there will be a little bit of slack. There is a possibility to adjust this slack by moving around a white plastic disk that is bolted on top of the cylinder, personally, I removed that disk completely to fight the sticktion problem.

Here is a brief pic (picture is edited from Frazer's highres pics):

tm1.png

Thank you very much Sov13t!

I have replied to their email now, and I hope they will suggest the same for me as they did for Vapour, as we obviously have the same problem.

Nice plane on that gun...

OS764 P930@4 MBUD3R M6GB G5870 SSDX25 CAntec1200 HTMHW

I have the warthog too...duh. The handle come separate from the base alright, you just assemble both... nothing anormal there.

I m not understanding much what is going on.

The point is:

- If with no extra weight applyed and the deadzones are set to zero there is no deviation (readings are 0X, 0Y) then your stick is normal.

- If there s a reading, then you should try the calibration program, PM me your e-mail, and i ll send you the program, or go fish it on the thrustmaster support site.

- Now if after calibration, there is a reading, then an RMA is in order with proof of the problem.

- Now if you let the weight of your hand and reading apply, its normal, broaden the deadzones so it won t happen.

It is the same for me, if i rest the weight of my hand on the stick and the weight i apply is not perfectly balanced, the system being very precise, it will read something and the plane will respond acordingly.

So i broadened a bit the deadzone and voilá.

Was the same with the Cougar, but as system wasn t so precise, the reading began much latter.

Edited by Succellus

HaF 922, Asus rampage extreme 3 gene, I7 950 with Noctua D14, MSI gtx 460 hawk, G skill 1600 8gb, 1.5 giga samsung HD.

Track IR 5, Hall sensed Cougar, Hall sensed TM RCS TM Warthog(2283), TM MFD, Saitek pro combat rudder, Cougar MFD.

Exactly, a good standard to follow is to have a dead-zone on your X axis while have no dead-zone on your Y axis. Reasons? Your aircraft always pulls up/down depending on a WHOLE lot of factors as such you always work with the Y axis. While X axis a lot of times you want it to be level as such you want to avoid accidental input.

Alright, I figured my stick was a bit off since it centers on everything between 32768 and 33666 in the X (usually around 33570), and between 32768 and 33030 in the Y.

When I carefully move the stick left until the slack stops, I notice it always centers on 32768, and when I move the stick forward until the slack stops, it also stops at 32768. I don't really know what to make of this other than that the slack would be only in the positive directions of both axes, seeing as 32768 would be the real center it ideally should output.

Maybe this means the plastic disk inside is a bit non-horizontal relative to the plastic ball it supports...

Edited by LostOblivion

Actually the HOTAS Cougar is shipped/packed with stick attached to the base

You are absolutely correct on the Cougar. Not sure what I was thinking there!

Abit IN9 32x MAX- Kentsfield QX6700 @3520

1.5 vcore watercooled D-Tek Fuzion/PA-160/MCR120/2x MCP655

2x2GB G-Skill 1066 5-5-5-15 2T@1.9vdimm

2x EVGA 580GTX 1.5GB SLI

2x 74GB Sata Raptor Raid0

2x 320GB Hitachi Sata II

X-FI Elite Pro

Dell U3011

Lian Li V2100B

Corsair HX1000

Alright, I've received a sticky vaucher from pixmania. I'll stick it to my package and send it to them and hope I'll get a new working hog. :) Better dust off my old X52 again...

I'd still apreciate if you posted videos of you moving your stick around center, just to show me how your stick handles. I wanna know if I am being too picky or if my worries are justified...

Thanks!

Glad you got it sorted with a new HOTAS. Regarding the other one the friction o-ring has slipped inside the canister.

Edited by =Panther=

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Z390 Aorus Xtreme, i9 9900k, G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB, 1080ti 11GB, Obutto R3Volution, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, TPR, Cougar MFDs, FSSB R3L, JetSeat, Oculus Rift S, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, F/A-18C UFC, Tek Creations F-16 ICP

Right, so now after one week of waiting, my reseller has, and I quote "determined that the cause of my returning of the product was RMA" and that they have shipped it to Thrustmaster for an expert opinion, and they will come back to me with the results within 21 working days.

WHAT THE HELL? What is wrong with these guys... Pixmania, I'm seriously not going to wait over a month to get my joystick back?! I should have ordered my hog from amazon like you guys, instead of this stupid reseller...

Mean't to update this a few days ago, I got my new stick a week or so ago, the new stick has none of the 'free' movement around the centre that was there with the old stick. I've bothing but praise for good old Amazons returns policy.

Sorry to hear Pixmania is messing you around, they are just shooting themselves in the foot at the end of the day.

Turns out you're right about them shooting themselves in the foot, as Thrustmaster thankfully deemed the stick unrepairable, and thus they'll send me a new product. :)

Yeah, looking forward to getting my stick back, or a new stick anyway, as having reverted to my old X52 just made me not play the game since it's such a difference without the HOTAS I've gotten dependable on. Hehe.

Alright! Got my new hog today, and the results are...GREAT! No slack in the x and no slack in the y, the stick is dead center, as it should be.

I am a happy man! :)

Great news! Thrustmaster support is quite good and from the look of the posting dates of you post it seems rather quickly solved as well.

Now get into the pit and throw some abuse at it! ;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Asus Z390-E, 32GB Crucial Ballistix 2400Mhz, Intel i7 9700K 5.0Ghz, Asus GTX1080 8GB, SoundBlaster AE-5, G15, Streamdeck, DSD Flight, TM Warthog, VirPil BRD, MFG Crosswind CAM5, TrackIR 5, KW-908 Jetseat, Win 10 64-bit

”Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.

However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore.”

Hi all, another new HOTAS Warthog owner here.. reporting that mine has also a slack problem on the x axis (no deadzone).

Emailed Thrustmaster support and they consider it a "non issue" that develops with time, even if i have used it for less than a month.

I'm a bit dissappointed with their reply, but honestly i don't consider this issue a game breaker.

videos here:

Anyway, i'm afraid to open the stick to see if there's something i can do to fix it, but i might do it in the future if it gets worse.

Cheers

I was right above the threshold for sending mine in, nearly didn't, but I did and now I got one that has a little bit slack, but it always center to 0 when letting it go, unlike my previous stick which centered on everything in 1-2% in the center. There's slack now as well, but this kind of slack is just the good kind letting me "fight the sticktion" as Soviet states.

There'll always develop some slack on anything that is mechanical like this.

• 3 weeks later...

Alright, so I've had my replacement hog for about three weeks now and the slack is somewhat coming back to this new stick. I have however found out how to reduce the amount of slack by using a set of pliers squeezing a bit around the plastic around each of the four mounting holes that is on the white ring which is attached to the black cylinder inside the hog housing.

There was a guide here on how to do this, but I removed it since it really doesn't produce any good permanent results.

slack.jpg.1f6de2bf668a799b5f1494223b5b2f68.jpg

Edited by LostOblivion

• 3 weeks later...

Right, so I removed the guide as I found it did not really help as to reduce the slack to any permanent degree.

However, the center play on this stick still annoys me, so I'm posting my discoveries here. Yes, I know, I am really picky about this...:music_whistling:

I've opened and closed my stick so many times now I'm getting very tired of it, but I do have a discovery that might have something to do with the play. I found that the play on my stick is only moving in one particular direction; right now there is slack between center and up left on the stick, and that the play in other directions is neglectable. I also found that the direction of this play depends on how the big centering spring is positioned, pushing on the black elevator cylinder. If I rotate this centering spring around, say 90° clockwise, the direction of the play will in turn move 90° clockwise as well! This tells me that the play on, well, at least my stick is caused by this spring. I cannot however make any sense out of this, nor how to fix it.

So if anyone can confirm this is the case on their stick as well, at least to some degree, it would bring us closer to finding out what causes play on the TMHW. :)

• 2 weeks later...

i've got the same problem

after 3 months of constant use

it appears to have some slack but i didn't found any solution though

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]W10(64bit)Asus Rog Strix Z370-F - i7 8700K - Dark Rock Pro 4 - 16 giga ram Corsair vengeance 3000 - MSI RTX 2070 Super - Asus Rog Phobeus soundcard - Z906 Surround speaker - Track ir5 - HOTAS Warthog

• 4 weeks later...

I have the same exact issue on mine. It was solid when I first got it then it became a little slack in the y axis. Just like the video posted. I emailed thrust master and they said that it is normal and all their sticks in their shop exhibit the same trait. It is a real pain in the ass when trying to refuel by over correcting. I had to add a minor deadzone to the stick. Oh well, it's still an amazing stick.

This was Thrustmasters response:

We thank you for your reply and for providing us with that short movie.

We like to inform you that we have forwarded that link to our R&D department and after checking different joysticks we can confirm you that the behavior of your joystick is absolutely normal.

Try using it for some time and see if you will register some different behavior of the joystick.

We rest at your disposal for any other inquiries.

Edited by Fuzzysham