Concerning long range air defenses

Alfred

I've been playing around with the in game editor watching how the AI reacts to SAMs and the like. I've noticed, however, that the SA-10 isn't nearly as long ranged as one would be lead to believe. I have 3 theories:

-Is it because the radar gets blocked easily(in retrospect it wasn't really designed to kill fighters, but whatever)

-The launch pattern may be off(I have a friend who's waaaay into aircraft-SAM relations. His studies say this type[or maybe the newer types?] fly up into the upper atmosphere before "falling" on their targets)

-Maybe the system is using older missiles?

-On the second note, is there any intention to add the long (100nm-200+nm) range variants of the missiles?

Now, I have full faith in the ridiculous amount of work put into the DCS games, so I suspect the fault is my own. Just seeking to clarify, is all.

Just found the DCSWiki... Seems the S-300(in DCS A-10C at least) is using the 5V55 missile with a ~30 mile range. However, the wiki also lists specs(and a picture) of a '48H6E2' missile (checked Wikipedia, doesn't seem to be any 48H6E2, although there is a 48N6E2. Additionally, the DCSWiki lists the 48H6E2 as having a range of 90km, yet Wikipedia states the only missile with a 90km range is a '5V55R/RM'...so somebody messed up somewhere along the line). Does this mean that the longer range S-300 missiles are only in Blackshark? Or possibly LOMAC if the DCSWiki has LOMAC content as well?

Edited by Alfred

• 4 years later...

I was looking for info about the 48H6E2 and I found this post.

It's not easy, since NATO/DoD give new designations to systems that are basically updates, and russian designations and names are a confusing nightmare. I will share what I've found so far.

Those missiles are from the S-300 family and its many variants and modernizations.

The 5V55 is used on the S-300PS (according to the DCS encyclopedia), making it the 5V55R (SA-10d/e according to Wikipedia), with ranges differing from sources, of 45 Km (DCS), 90 km (Wiki) and 40 nm (CMANO database info).

Interestingly, both the "slave" and "master" TELs (as referred to by Wikipedia) are featured on DCS, but seem to have the same capabilities in-game.

The 48N6 (and its upgrades 48N6E and E2) is used on the S-300FM (SA-N-20) and S-300PM (SA-20). Its stated range varies from 90 Km (DCS), 150 Km (Wiki) and 80 nm (CMANO DB).

I think that 48H6E2 is just a mistranslation of 48N6E2.

IIRC, the 5V55 is used by the land SA-10 and the 48N6 is used by the Pyotr Velikiy (a Kirov-class cruiser), but I could be completely wrong.

Yah. Concerning getting off the floor;

Do I need to work principally off the HUD, or the MFCDs? Should I concentrate on the HUD, then use my china boat switch to order a beef and mushroom with fried rice?

Should I use china boat forward or china boat aft in order to receive some prawn crackers?

As for the coolie hat; well it's been a long time since I needed some labourers to lay a railway line, but what does this have to do with shooting rebellious insurgents?

Coolie, china, boat, hat, DMS, TMS, SPI, DCMS,MFCD, CMS, TACAN, EAC, CCIP, CCRP, TGP, all with a terrible American accent talking too quickly.

'Press the space bar when you are ready to proceed'

Eh? What? Say that again, I didn't quite catch the last acronym. Did you say Deemoss or ceemoss or greenmoss or davemoss? Or teejip or doopgit or gossmoss?

Ach du lieber gott, Ich habe einer grosser kopfschmerzen.

Edited by Dooyar
  • Like 2

China boat aft is for extra rice, IIRC. :megalol:

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

-Maybe the system is using older missiles?

-On the second note, is there any intention to add the long (100nm-200+nm) range variants of the missiles?

:cry: Oh no, please no!:cry: 100-200nm, I'll never get a whiff the target area! :lol:

Ok, serious face.... Sams performing top down attacks! Not much hope of running it out of energy if it is coming back down from 60,000+ft.

My current tactic of turning away from the launcher and performing horizontal and vertical jinks has been my go to for Sam avoidance. Anyone have a another set of tactics?

I know those types of Sams are not in the game, but how would you defeat it?

"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Leonardo Da Vinci

"We are tied to the ocean. And when we go back to the sea, whether it is to sail or to watch - we are going back from whence we came."

John F. Kennedy

• 2 weeks later...

Over at the jetcareeers.com forum there are a bunch ex military pilots. This one in particular used to fly the F-117 and A-10.

Here's what he had to say about the the SA-10.

They don't call it the Tombstone for no reason. In my day, the countermeasure for it was to eject, and hope it doesn't home in on your seat.

http://forums.jetcareers.com/threads/f-35-grounded.202575/page-5#post-2306934

That whole thread is interesting to read the current and ex-mil pilots' perspective on the F-35 and why it's needed. The TLDR is the that A-10 would never survive going up against an opponent who could field modern air defenses.

your friend is right when he says some SAM systems actually fly top then drop down on their targets. I guess this is meant to provide inertia for corrections. I saw an F-16 vid dodging 6 SAMs (pretty sure you all did).

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.