BSOD: Power_driver_state_failure randomly occurs while playing...HELP

Hey guys

so I've been loving the trackir system and the saitek, but i've been randomly getting a Blue screen of death saying power driver state failure! I can't seem to find any info on this.

The problem occurs with no other game and I doubt its a hardware limitation as a just got a state of the art laptop with i7 qm2720 processors, geforce 540m with optimus technology, 8 gigs ram, etc.

Can anybody help me- this is quite an irritating problem and I can't seem to figure a fix.

I tried setting the battery to high performance settings and updating my nvidia drivers, and it worked for a while but then it happened again last night during navigation training.

I'm at a loss :doh: So any and all help is very much appreciated.

Thanks,

-CL

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sounds like a USB problem.

exactly what devices are plugged in when playing?

You are running with the laptop plugged in right?

Does the pc feel really hot when it shuts down?

what brand and model is the pc?

what model of stick do you have and are the lights on it dimming at any time when this happens?

how long does the game run before the blue screen? is it about the same time every time?

i7 8700K @ 4.4Ghz, 16G 3200 RAM, Nvidia 1080Ti, T16000 HOTAS, TIR5, 75" DLP Monitor

Hey ComradeLucifer, there can be a number of issues causing this to happen. Nobody will be able to give you an answer without looking at your machine or the dump files from the BSOD. The easiest solution for you is to download BlueScreenView and check the dump report for yourself. More than likely it's a driver that has gotten corrupted or isn't compatible that got installed.

Your dump files if it doesn't open the right directory from the start is 'C:\Windows\Minidump' depending on what drive you have windows installed. Hope this helps ya some.

I also got a brand new laptop and a new graphic card. Both the laptop and the desktop with new graphic card was crashing randomly. After a couple days, it went away. Sometimes, new hardware need time to burn in. If the problem persists, try to download some CPU and GPU temperature/load monitoring programs and keep an eye on them.

And get a laptop cooler if you haven't already.

I use a saitek x52 nonpro model and the newest trackir 5. The laptop is plugged in, the pc doesn't feel that hot when compared to other games- fans seem to be coolng the processors adequately. The pc is a new dell xps 15 (just came out). Haven't timed it, but I'd say the timing of the crash is pretty variable.

The best solution is to do what I've posted above. It will tell you which driver is crashing the machine. Replace with the newest, or reinstall it and you will be fine. Common issues with it seem to be a USB driver of some sort.

been doing a bit of reading on this... apparently its driver related, not USB. it seems to be caused by a system component having an improper power state setting and after a period of time, the bad setting will crash the system.

Do you have hamachi installed and if you know, what brand of wifi card do you have?

Also when did you get the lappy... (I perform field repairs for dell) it might possibly be a bad mobo or component. Dells quality is pretty bad anymore but they will repair the problem quickly and stay on it until it runs right (if that is the problem).

get that report ASAP... Im betting this will help us get it fixed quickly.

also this link may help >>>>> http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f299/solved-driver-power-state-failure-bsod-298280.html

and >>>>>>>http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic96544.html

Edited by jeffyd123

i7 8700K @ 4.4Ghz, 16G 3200 RAM, Nvidia 1080Ti, T16000 HOTAS, TIR5, 75" DLP Monitor

also, can you guys suggest a good quality laptop cooler?

usually you dont need one of these.... just be sure to clean out your cooling system once a month and always play with your lappy on a smooth surface.

don't have hamachi (don't know what it is) and I'm not sure what type of wifi card I have

OK... it sounds like a bad power setting with something... maybe the TIR or the stick.

get the report to us and you should be fixed.

the minidump files.... you can find them @ C Drive > Windows Folder > Minidump Folder > Minidump Files.

just post them in this forum... you will most likely have to put them in a zip file due to the forum restrictions.

power state failure again...can't find my minidump files

Hi guys,

I had to take a lunch break. I'm on the laptop now, I downloaded bluescreen dump utility to give the report to the forum, but I cannot find my minidump folder- I have no such folder C:\Windows\Minidump. It doesn't exist, also blescreen does not show any minidump data. I am running windows 7 64 bit. I know my last thread was moved but there is literally no one in that subforum and I would really like to resolve this issue. please help! :cry:

Thanks again guys,

-CL

Totally in a different direction...

If you have a powered hub, can you reproduce the problem when some of your USB devices are not plugged directly into the laptop. I really would not expect a BSOD from a power issue but...this is MS Windows.

I know my gaming laptop is not real happy if I have too many USB devices drawing power...no BSOD just quirky behaviour.

Just a stray thought on the subject.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup: