Then and now

We have come a long way....I really like where we are going.

This in on my Pentium 100.

flanker155th.png

And this is on my AMD 4000.

flamingcliffs9ul.jpg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"Zuki" Resident mud mover

CH HOTAS untill it breaks(for life)!

Not affiliated with any "squad":thumbup:

Hehe, Flanker was brilliant, it really was. Still got the original box, manuals, Crimea map & disc with the funky pinky/purple star on the CD ('Windows '95 HOT game!!') and the 1.5 expansion box with CD.

Do you remember the 'Pilot', 'Squadron Leader', and 'General' missions? They were a great idea. I remade one of the 'General' missions for Flanker 2.51. You were given a list of aircraft you were allowed to use, and a mission objective.

Also the 'S-300 double tap' you had to do with ARM missiles, as the S-300 would always nail the first missile.

Great fun.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hehe, Flanker was brilliant, it really was. Still got the original box, manuals, Crimea map & disc with the funky pinky/purple star on the CD ('Windows '95 HOT game!!') and the 1.5 expansion box with CD.

Do you remember the 'Pilot', 'Squadron Leader', and 'General' missions? They were a great idea. I remade one of the 'General' missions for Flanker 2.51. You were given a list of aircraft you were allowed to use, and a mission objective.

Also the 'S-300 double tap' you had to do with ARM missiles, as the S-300 would always nail the first missile.

Great fun.

That reminds me - I saw Su27 Flanker Commander's Edition (1.5) for sale in a second-hand shop for £2.99.

I'm seriously tempted to get it just for the historical value . . . only trouble is that I'm not sure if I've got a rig slow enough to run it anymore :p

Will have to underclock a PII 350 . . . . sigh.

You might just get away with a 350...I think I had it going alright on me old AMD K6-2 333.

There are loads of track missions with 1.5 that were provided by various luminaries of the online community. One of which reminded me of your SU27 SEAD antics a little.

A player set up a ring of Tor units an approached above their max engagement altitude, then dipped down and picked each one off, just nipping up to a safe altitude again with a load of missiles detonating below him each time, I however was not able to repeat the task myself without being blown up :icon_redf

Flanker always got a lot of stick for 'crude' graphics, but the individual units (Tunguska, Tor, S-300 rigs, Surface vessels) were well, well ahead of the competition in terms of sheer detail. In fact I don't think they were beaten until Flanker 2.0 came along.

The event log detailed every shot fired as well, something I do miss. Could make heavy reading sometimes, but it was always interesting.

I'm really tempted to redo some of the General missions in Lomac, not least because I think they'd pan out really nicely, and I think the AI and detailed threat modelling could make them work now (all friendly units would just get mashed by SAM or the GAI assets in the original...same in 2.51!)

An interesting problem was the placement of some of the units...because of the more detailed crimea some have to be displaced a little, as the original coordinates would have them on city blocks or lakes!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I just installed it on my AMD 4000, runs like a champ except for the Joystick issue I mentioned.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Guest SoDak

I still have it loaded :) Anyone remember RM's dynamic campaign utility for this game ?

If so, help me out here; I never could figure it out. You'd start a campaign, and on the map, there would be just a huge mess of flights, all on top of each other, none seeming to make sense as to route, task, etc.

Was there some trick this program ?

Man, it kinda makes me wish I hadn't given away my old CH gameport stuff....oh well, one can't have everything.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I'm remaking one of those General missions, just for fun. Wow...I'd forgotten what a pain it is tabulating what goes where, plus just how different the Crimea map is (Sevastopol airfield is in a completely different place!).

Of course the SU27 has limited ground ability in Lomac so I'm working the SU25 into it.

Smaller selection of Navy vessels as well, and now of course the Ukranian inventory is correct, so no Tunguskas..not really a problem though.

ED's mission designers didn't pull any punches in Flanker, there's no less than 3 S-300's in this mission!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

For free?

I still have my gameport Force FX but nothing to plug it into :rolleyes:

Yea ... send it this way...dum de dum.

Oh for anyone who wants to see Flanker 1.5 , I made a little clip Download Here

Scroll down and select free on left. takes a sec or 2

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Anyone know if there's a way to randomise a unit's appearance in Lomac? I'm looking but I can't see it. 'Flanker' used a simple tick-box on the unit properties. Also, what would be a good replacement (available for UKR) for a Tunguska AD unit - I'm currently using a mix of Shilka and Strela-10 to give approximately the same effect, however it effectively doubles the targets a player has to kill.

Cheers

James

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Anyone know if there's a way to randomise a unit's appearance in Lomac? I'm looking but I can't see it. 'Flanker' used a simple tick-box on the unit properties. Also, what would be a good replacement (available for UKR) for a Tunguska AD unit - I'm currently using a mix of Shilka and Strela-10 to give approximately the same effect, however it effectively doubles the targets a player has to kill.

Cheers

James

If you're going to be really sneaky . . . . for the sake of this mission, edit the MeInit to include the Tunguska for the Ukraine. Shouldn't be too hard, and once the mission is built the Tunguska should remain on the side of the Ukraine even without the MeInit tweaks.