Improvised Runways

Isegrim

The Fencer is the Su-24.

The Frogfoot/toad is the Su-25.

Thank you for pointing that out. My reply does not make it clear that I am in fact writing about two different aircraft, Fencer and Frogfoot. Both of which can operate from improvised runways. I am sure they are not the only Russian aircraft built with that in mind.

In DCS, we have the whole Crimean peninsula without so much as a single airstrip! It's an area bigger than Northern Ireland! The location and surrounding water make it perfect for naval operations. It is almost flat, which make it perfect for training scenarios and land combat. It has a tactical location perfect for airborne operations due to the surrounding shoreline.

Come on, why wouldn't we like to have the possibility to locate improvised runways a place like that?!

For the P-51D a grass track (like a FARP for helos) would be nice too.

This was one of the most important features of the P-51D -> take off from fields.

Hi, If DCS can improve ground envoronment and scenery like in this video please watch

Maybe use these tools with Orbx or REX or even

modeling Air Craft like this watch

using Crysis engine (CryEngine) amazing, Ha

Watch this ..... REAL VS CRYENGINE

Also these

http://youtu.be/hgw9DlIK8DY?hd=1

Cryengine 3 Tutorial Series part 1: Introduction and download

http://youtu.be/w4TCXTqpQ2Y?hd=1

Now imagine implementing modeling with soft body physics with realistic over-g effects on aircraft parts, bended gears on rough landings, planes crashing to the ground, ship missile damage nothing scripted or animated, realism at its ultimate and this looks to be the most realistic physics engine so far.

WOW that will win "Hearts and Minds"..... LoL wink.gif

Edited by WRAITH

DCS FORUM SIG.jpg

Well beside demanding what CryEngine3 engine does today is too much for such big world like DCS. CryEngine3 does not simulate flight, nor avionics, it is quite limited and small world in comparison. That is why in FPS games PC resources can be used somewhere else instead of true flight simulator related calculations and that is why flying usually is a hover here and there, shoot this and that arcade game ;)

Now imagine implementing modeling with soft body physics with realistic over-g effects on aircraft parts, bended gears on rough landings, planes crashing to the ground, ship missile damage nothing scripted or animated, realism at its ultimate and this looks to be the most realistic physics engine so far.

Current DCS damage model delivers everything of that already. Do some crash testing with the Toad ;) Every part in DCS-level a/c is independent, there is full and part body physics, each part has own weight, independent calculations and so on... ED tell me if I am wrong.

Edited by Shaman

51PVO Founding member (DEC2007-)

100KIAP Founding member (DEC2018-)

:: Shaman aka [100☭] Shamansky

tail# 44 or 444

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] 100KIAP Regiment Early Warning & Control officer

Hi yeah I know and I getcha, but you only captured a paragraph of my post, read post in full as one full statement not just a sentence.

Its to improve on what already is, was the point!:smilewink:

Also its in the Wishlist thread! ;)

Cheers,

drinks_cheers.gif

Edited by WRAITH

DCS FORUM SIG.jpg

you only captured a paragraph of my post, read post in full as one full statement not just a sentence.

Oh, I have read your entire post and watched all videos (thx for sharing, Crysis series rocks). Did not find it particularly necessary to quote entire post.

See you in the blue!

51PVO Founding member (DEC2007-)

100KIAP Founding member (DEC2018-)

:: Shaman aka [100☭] Shamansky

tail# 44 or 444

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] 100KIAP Regiment Early Warning & Control officer

Part of the planning for aboveground expressways in the United States is to have a mile of straight, unobstructed roadway every so often to provide contingencies in case aircraft are unable to land at airfields. So not unfeasible, however I am unsure of how well this could be used outside of the Nevada map.

If you aim for the sky, you will never hit the ground.

Part of the planning for aboveground expressways in the United States is to have a mile of straight, unobstructed roadway every so often to provide contingencies in case aircraft are unable to land at airfields. So not unfeasible, however I am unsure of how well this could be used outside of the Nevada map.

http://www.snopes.com/autos/law/airstrip.asp

Well beside demanding what CryEngine3 engine does today is too much for such big world like DCS. CryEngine3 does not simulate flight, nor avionics, it is quite limited and small world in comparison. That is why in FPS games PC resources can be used somewhere else instead of true flight simulator related calculations and that is why flying usually is a hover here and there, shoot this and that arcade game ;)

Current DCS damage model delivers everything of that already. Do some crash testing with the Toad ;) Every part in DCS-level a/c is independent, there is full and part body physics, each part has own weight, independent calculations and so on... ED tell me if I am wrong.

Hi, Well if DCS is going to have Combined Arms regarding ground and runway effects it would be like looking at this video enjoy

Also this one

A must see

If DCS is going further in simulating ground environment then yes my suggestions make sense right!

More improved and realistic accurate airport, ground and environment, would be kool

I love that video anyway nice ha!:thumbup:

Edited by WRAITH

DCS FORUM SIG.jpg

Improvised runways in case of main runways being disabled...

That brings the importance of modeling runway repair (by time passed since damage, etc). The amount of resources to repair a runway must depend on the weapons suite used on runway pavement destruction (anti-runway bomb/rocket, general purpose bomb, cluster bomb, etc). Also, the runway damage must be permanent by server side: in multiplayer, after loging out and enter again, all runway damage and debris disappear.

104th Cobra

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

An improvised runway do not have to be made of concrete or paved. Quite frankly, I do not understand why that doesn't seem to compute with people :bash:

Here is a snippet out of the MiG-21 Pilots manual, page 20, Table 6, Limitations:

"2. Takeoff weight using perforated steel plate (PSP), unpaved or snow-covered runway, 8800 kgf, max."

Edited by KosPilot

• 3 months later...
IMO that's a good idea. Not missing IL-2 at all otherwise, but it had runway objects available in the mission editor and building your own bases was a hoot :D

That's right, thank you!

-And not having the option of making airbases is inhibiting A-10C operations from Turkey, Azerbaijan, Armenia and the Crimean peninsula since there are no airfields added as standard in the DCS map.

Improvised airfields would open up for new missions, new alliances and make previously unused terrain more accessible.

-And not having the option of making airbases is inhibiting A-10C operations from Turkey, Azerbaijan, Armenia and the Crimean peninsula since there are no airfields added as standard in the DCS map.

Thats something I've always wondered about, would players like having airbases with little to no world detail outside the base simply to have an realistic airbase for long flights. For example any of the airbases in the Crimea or Merzifon in Turkey.

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects:  Grayflag ServerScripting Wiki

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread)

SLMOD, Wiki wishlist, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum

Thats something I've always wondered about, would players like having airbases with little to no world detail outside the base simply to have an realistic airbase for long flights. For example any of the airbases in the Crimea or Merzifon in Turkey.

Would be absolutely excellent - Kerch Strait battles were always epic.

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

There is a bit of terrain over at the Turkish side, but the long distance view would of course suffer (Just like north of Mineral nye 'vody).

As a trade-off for added scenarios, I would grab it with both hands!

Besides, what I am mentioning is the ability to put an improvised airstrip where ever the terrain allows.

Edited by KosPilot
info

I'd most certainly like that. Merzifon is my most wanted airbase for the current map, I don't care if it's literally in the middle of no where, that's where I want to take off from when using NATO aircraft. The airbases in Ukraine would also be useful, and even people avoided them because of the lack of scenery, AI could still be stationed there to make things a little more realistic than using triggers for things outside of the detailed map.

Perhaps ED could add more static objects to the editor like forests and mountains. You could add generic objects like that in USNF 97 and turn a flat barren plain or empty beach into a mountain range of rocky coast with cliffs.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

ABSOLUTELY!!!

(maybe add terrain elevation data though?)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The keeper of all mathematical knowledge and the oracle of flight modeling.:)