Dimebug Free stencil A-10C cocpkit project

dimebug

BTW I have changed the top of my panel, probably a little less like the real thing but I think it will give the hood and "eyebrows" more room to mount.

Front_Panel02.png

The center pedestal and the front panel mount are based on a structure built from aluminum angle rather than wood. I chose this to preserve the thin edges but still keep a solid structure. Plus aluminum angle is dead simple to work with... cut to length on a mitre saw, a little JBWeld between parts and you have a rock solid structure.

Front_Panel03.png

Thanks HitchHikingFlatlander!! for the left side parts i used cnc, then the cnc machine broke:(

But i manage to cut out the parts on cardboard whit the machine then trace it on the mdf-bord, then i use a jigsaw to finish the right side

Cardboard parts:

Edited by linden

y2kiah, that's an interesting approch. it's been a long time i would like to test this kind of constructon.

Linden, you must be using a huge Jigsaw, mine cannot go with such thickness or big parts. What did broke on the cnc ?

Could you make a picture to check the Thrustmaster Warthog throttle fitting ?

Do you plan on using any physical instruments, or all screens?

Would add any additional support if you did use physical instruments?

I only respond to that little mechanical voice that says "Terrain! Terrain! Pull Up! Pull Up!"

Who can say what is impossible, for the dream of yesterday is the hope of today and the reality of tomorrow.

-Robert Goddard

"A hybrid. A car for enthusiasts of armpit hair and brown rice." -Jeremy Clarkson

"I swear by my pretty floral bonet, I will end you." -Mal from Firefly

Do you plan on using any physical instruments, or all screens?

Would add any additional support if you did use physical instruments?

I'll have 5 small screens, MFDs, HSI, ADI and RWR. For the rest I will make replica physical instruments, but they'll be much lighter than real instruments so weight will not be an issue for me. The pictures do not show the additional support that I plan to have on the lower left and right of the panel. I'll have metal brackets attach the panel to the sides of the cockpit, to help stabilize it. I can sit on a simple box made from 1x1x1/8 aluminum angle bonded with JBWeld and I weigh 180lbs, so I don't think additional structure is needed for strength if you use real instruments, but more support for stability couldn't hurt.

Here is a stripped down view of the structure that I'm planning to build. I just need a bracket to attach the lower part of the panel and it should be good.

Center_Structure.png

Altogether this uses just under 230" of aluminum angle, so that's 5 length's of 48" 1x1x1/8 angle which comes to about $27 plus shipping here.

BTW I have changed the top of my panel, probably a little less like the real thing but I think it will give the hood and "eyebrows" more room to mount.

Front_Panel02.png

Actually, looking at this image, it looks like the center area (EW, ADI, HSI) are at the same height as the sides (RWR, IAS, VVI, ALT) in the picture below. This brings up another question, does the top of the "eyebrows" and main panel line up, or are the eyebrows resting above? By the looks of the image below, the way the fire pull handles are, that whole area sits well above where the top of the main panel actually sits. (just wanting to make sure I'm drawing this out correctly before I make my cuts, so sorry if I'm getting annoying. :smilewink:)

panel.thumb.jpg.65f04f7dcc63363be0f5997b420037ee.jpg

A-10C - FC3 - CA - L-39 - UH1 - P-51 - Hawk - BS2 - F-86 - Gazelle - F-5E - AV8B - F/A-18C

i5-4590 - GTX 1060 - Oculus CV1 - TM:Warthog

[sIGPIC]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic9979_1.gif[/sIGPIC]

y2kiah, that's an interesting approch. it's been a long time i would like to test this kind of constructon.

Linden, you must be using a huge Jigsaw, mine cannot go with such thickness or big parts. What did broke on the cnc ?

Could you make a picture to check the Thrustmaster Warthog throttle fitting ?

When i started the cnc its just stop after maby 10mm,but it workt whit carbord, so i think

the engine on one of the axel is overheating.

Unfortunately i dont have the warthog, but i will get it soon...

Actually, looking at this image, it looks like the center area (EW, ADI, HSI) are at the same height as the sides (RWR, IAS, VVI, ALT) in the picture below. This brings up another question, does the top of the "eyebrows" and main panel line up, or are the eyebrows resting above?...

Look again, the center section definitely rises above the level of the outer sections. They meet at the same level because the top of the real panel follows the slope of the dash. I didn't want to deal with the slope so I just made it flat all the way back. Once the dash goes on top it will look like they meet at the same level.

934089314_CockpitA10.thumb.jpg.29a99ee431e2e4bdb6c2384850853790.jpg

Icemaker is also building the pit (basically i designed it for him). He spent some time testing the planned TM Warthog grip extension (see the following picture). On the website Checksix-frcom, we're discussion crossing data with a very nice ejection seat. A massive upgrade for the Ejection seat may eventually come :

attachment.php?attachmentid=26124&stc=1&d=1313058417

Look again, the center section definitely rises above the level of the outer sections. They meet at the same level because the top of the real panel follows the slope of the dash. I didn't want to deal with the slope so I just made it flat all the way back. Once the dash goes on top it will look like they meet at the same level.

It's cool, looking at that picture and knowing what to do with all of those buttons. Btw, I'm one of the smarter kids in my school, which is full of smart kids, and I will have taken all of the engineering courses by this coming year's end, but Jesus Christ I feel dumb here! Why don't you all team up and build a real A-10 already?

Or planning on selling them? I don't have the warthog, an ejection seat, or enough room to fit a cockpit in my apartment (wife's rules, not mine... I'd use the whole living room if she'd let me)... but I'd probably buy one for the day I can add it to my pit.

A-10C - FC3 - CA - L-39 - UH1 - P-51 - Hawk - BS2 - F-86 - Gazelle - F-5E - AV8B - F/A-18C

i5-4590 - GTX 1060 - Oculus CV1 - TM:Warthog

[sIGPIC]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic9979_1.gif[/sIGPIC]