HOTAS axis for trim and zoom

jepessen

Hi.

I'm trying to use my new Saitek X52 Pro with A10-C.

I'd like to use one of the axis wheel on the throttle to change the vertical trim of the airplane.

I've noticed in the configuration that it's only possible to set a key combination for increase the trim and one for decrease it. There's some way to give a continuous trim command to a throttle wheel?

I'd like also to have the cockpit zoom control in the throttle slider, how can i do it?

There's some way to give a continuous trim command to a throttle wheel?

Trim is only via button/key-inputs as per real plane and not an axis command. Not 100% sure how you can workaround it re the Saitek software - maybe the use of bands?

I'd like also to have the cockpit zoom control in the throttle slider, how can i do it?

navigate to your SP GUI/OPtions/Controls screen and ensure you have the A-10C/Axis commands screen selected. Navigate to your Saitek throttle column and highlight the 'Zoom View' axis block (last one on the left). Highlight the box by clicking on it and hit the 'Add' button on the bottom left.

The Add Assignment Panel will pop up. Move your slider to and fro and it should automatically assign the slider an axis (in my case it's Joy_Slider_1). Hit 'OK' and it'll save and you're good to go.

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

Hi.

I'm trying to use my new Saitek X52 Pro with A10-C.

I'd like to use one of the axis wheel on the throttle to change the vertical trim of the airplane.

I've noticed in the configuration that it's only possible to set a key combination for increase the trim and one for decrease it. There's some way to give a continuous trim command to a throttle wheel?

For trim, you really want pitch and roll trim combined onto a hat, I use the POV hat. Just programmed in options>controls.

The slider can also be programmed for zoom in the axis assignment section as well but I don't think you will like it. Unless you have an atypical x52 the sliders are jittery.

If you look at the slider in the control panel you will notice that it is probably not steady (the red bar jitters). Now if you don't have that issue then program it as your zoom axis in the options>controls>axis assignments section.

If you are unsure how to do this look in the GUI manual in the DOC folder. Or post back...it is pretty straightforward I think.

EDIT: Must learn to type faster.:D

Edited by cichlidfan
  • Like 1

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Hi.

if you disable mouse click, (dont remember stardard key) you already have a zoom button at your fingertip on throttle ´mousewheel

Obutto r3volution

Asus sabertooth x79 / CPU: i7-3820 cooled with antec 920 /intel520 180gb SSD/ 16gb DDR3 2133mhz /

2x GigabyteGTX670-OC SLI /

TM Warthog HOTAS + MFD Cougar / Saitek Combat Rudder /

3x 27" BenQ and 22" LG

Thanks to all for your replies.

Regarding the trim, I'm also trying to use Toggles. In particular, the left Toggle to trim up-down. I want also to use the central Toggle to raise up-down flaps and the right Toggle to use landing gears-lighst. Do you think that's a good choice?

I'll try the also the zoom tip.

I'm also trying to use the Saitek SST software to create a profile, but it doesn't seem to work properly. To do a test. I've created an empty profile and assigned only flaps and trim to my toggles. When I test them from inside SST, the key combinations are right, but they does not change anything in the simulator (in the external view flaps and trim does not change with X52 toggles, while with the keyboard shortcuts they did).

There's something particular that I must do?

PS: Please tell me if my last question must lie in a new thread.

Regarding the trim, I'm also trying to use Toggles. In particular, the left Toggle to trim up-down. I want also to use the central Toggle to raise up-down flaps and the right Toggle to use landing gears-lighst. Do you think that's a good choice?

I'll try the also the zoom tip.

I'm also trying to use the Saitek SST software to create a profile, but it doesn't seem to work properly. To do a test. I've created an empty profile and assigned only flaps and trim to my toggles. When I test them from inside SST, the key combinations are right, but they does not change anything in the simulator (in the external view flaps and trim does not change with X52 toggles, while with the keyboard shortcuts they did).

There's something particular that I must do?

PS: Please tell me if my last question must lie in a new thread.

Make sure it's actually loaded. Just because it's open for editing doesnt mean it's loaded, you have to push the blue crosshairs button to load it. Then you can make sure it's loaded by looking at the system tray icon, it should be the throttle icon with a green background.

I didn't realize that myself when I got the 52pro myself last week

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

If you configure the slider axis in DCS you can get around the jitteriness that most X-52 sliders develop with use.

Adding deadzone, and minimizing x-saturation gets you 3 discrete levels of zoom and eliminates the shaking. You can vary the minimum and maximum levels of zoom by changing y-saturation:

slider1.png.ab926f934b9a49103c6d03ecc0cd77af.png

If you want to mess with a "user curve" you can get even more "steps", here's my current settings:

slider2.png.151110c55933b9964b412761148d4120.png

I used this in Black Shark but forgot about it in the Warthog until just now, glad I looked in this thread!

• Like 4

If you configure the slider axis in DCS you can get around the jitteriness that most X-52 sliders develop with use.

Adding deadzone, and minimizing x-saturation gets you 3 discrete levels of zoom and eliminates the shaking. You can vary the minimum and maximum levels of zoom by changing y-saturation:

Nice, never thought of that.:thumbup:

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Regarding the trim, I'm also trying to use Toggles. In particular, the left Toggle to trim up-down. ... Do you think that's a good choice?

Again, look at the fact that you will need to trim both pitch (the nose up and down) and roll (wings up and down) especially when you start dropping weapons and one side of the aircraft is suddenly heavier than the other.

That is why putting all four trim commands onto one four way hat is your best plan (not to mention that it works that way in RL).

But, just my two cents...what ever works for you when you fly!!

Make sure it's actually loaded. Just because it's open for editing doesnt mean it's loaded, you have to push the blue crosshairs button to load it. Then you can make sure it's loaded by looking at the system tray icon, it should be the throttle icon with a green background.

I didn't realize that myself when I got the 52pro myself last week

I've checked and I've found that my profile is correctly loaded, but I've a strange behavior. In the attached image you can find my configuration for flaps (MAIUSC means SHIFT in Italian language).

I've set the second toggle to activate F key or SHIFT+F Key but, when I try these command in A10-C, it seems that it does not recognize the SHIFT command. In fact, if I switch the toggle in both directions (up and down), I've always flaps down and never up. It seems that I activate only F key, and not the combination SHIFT+F, so my flaps never raise up. There's something particular to create a key combination like SHIFT+F?

Immagine.jpg.3f3638e4231ba64849c3956853a297cc.jpg

Edited by jepessen
little error
  • Like 1

There's something particular to create a key combination like SHIFT+F?

The only thing I can think of is the delay...it does not show it but the SST software, which I think you have a slightly older version of, keeps track of the timing of the key strokes. When you program the LSHIFT+F make sure you press both keys together and not one and then the other. The result on the screen will look the same but will perform the way it was entered, including any time between keypresses.

There is a very brief mention of this fact somewhere in one of the versions of the SST documentation but their docs and software are not the best. The SST software is flakey. I have had it work fine and then after flying for an hour one of the buttons will no longer work.

I would honestly recomend programming as much as possible directly in the Options>Controls section of the sim. I only use the SST for fuctions I can not get any other way.

When you do this you tell the SST software to leave that button "unprogrammed". This will make the stick just send the button push signal. There is also a "Do Nothing" choice but that will make the button completely non-functional.

Hope this helps!:)

Edited by cichlidfan

But it's possible to use the "mode" switch to give different commands to the same button, from inside the option of a program, without using the SST software?

No, you will lose that functionality. You can, however, create more than one modifier key within the sim. For example, each button has a basic assignment, then if you hold pinkie trrigger (at the bottom of the stick) each switch can have a second function (the pinkie switch being the modifier).

You could then have, perhaps, the D button be another modifier giving you a third set of option for the other buttons.

You could even make it so that holding the shift key would modify what the X52 buttons do.

Granted, the SST software does make this simpler but, given the problems I have had, I am trying to stay away from it.

Some people use it with no problems, I am just not one of them.

• 2 weeks later...

I was also interested in putting the trims on wheels or sliders on my x52. I understand that a hat is how its done IRL, but I feel that for this sim a slider would be better for me. One of the main differences between this sim and a real life A-10 is the lack of any feedback from the airplane's stick. IRL, when setting the trim (which doesn't use trim tabs in the A-10 I think), it basically moves the default position of the stick. So if you are sitting in a real A-10, and you want to trim, you basically fly level with stick, then just adjust trim until you don't feel any more pressure on the stick.

Unfortunately, you can't do it that way in a sim, instead you have to pay attention to how the plane pitches and rolls on screen as you change the trim. I feel that IRL I would be able to set the trim much easier than I can in the sim using a 4-way hat. I am not trying to complain, but I just feel that using silders or wheels for trim would be much quicker, and in that aspect at least, somewhat closer to real life.

I am curious if anyone knows any way to assign trim to an axis. Actually, I wouldn't mind spending some time trying to figure it out myself, if someone could even point me in a general direction. Also, if any of you specifically know that its not possible (i.e. Speed) then let me know and that will be that.

With respect to using a slider for zoom, I also had problems with the "jitteryness" of x52 sliders and wheels. What I did as a workaround was use a modifier when setting the zoom axis (I used the right pinky button). That way, once you set the zoom and let go of the modifier button, the jittering goes away.

• 1 year later...
  • 9 years later...

I think assigning a trim to a slider is not a very good idea. Even if the throw of the slider is huge, you loose precision in adjusting trim by the smallest increment possible, wich will deny you good trimming during AAR for instance, or during a gun run, or any situation when under increased pressure. Even worse if the trim is not manipulated by your "stick hand", but by your hand on the throttle (which, as I can remember it is with the Saitek). It's not an accident either, that on EVERY RL modern aircraft, the trim is on the stick or yoke. (I know some warbirds did not have it on stick, but those trims were I guess not electric, or any way actuated ones). Much easier to sync your trimming with the releasing on stick pressure by the same hand. Or if you just released a heavier weapon, and the loadout becomes temporary assymetric, and if nose trim is on a slider, how do you want to trim out the roll until the next release, which might never come and you need to go home assymetric, which has different roll effect in different speed ranges, all the way until landing ?  My 2 cents at least...

Edited by Razor18

On 7/18/2011 at 6:29 AM, ashcanpete said:

Unfortunately, you can't do it that way in a sim, 

Of course you can! 😉 You just need a force feedback stick. This is exactly how it works in every module that supports this type of trimming. 

The C-101 do not support this, as it does not work like this in real life. 

Cheers!