Memory??

At the mo, i have 1 gb of standard DDR400 (El Cheapo) memory in my machine.

What kind of performance difference will I potentially notice with LOMAC? I have noticed the loading screen seems to take longer and longer.....

I am looking to get some high end 1 gb (2x512) CAS 2 XMS memory to replace

The rig i am talking about is as follows:

P4 3.2 Extreme

XFX GF 6800 GT

1 gig of crap memory

300 Gb of HDD

nothing else of interest!! apart from a lot of fans.

159th_mako.jpg

'Speak softly and carry a big stick'

1.1 loads a LOT of stuff, and as such is slower then 1.0x.

More RAM won't help you since you have a gig already, nor will faster RAM - this is a hard drive performance issue I think, for the most part ;)

Keep in mind that typically the resident size of LOMAC while playing is between 300 and 400 megabytes, and that's quite a bit of data.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

If you are after the fastest load times available, see this matrix:

http://www.storagereview.com/articles/200401/20040126WD740GD_2.html

SCSI is still the fastest but only because it has the fastest RPM at 15K . . .and u need a separate controller card. Program "time-to-load" speed is 95% about the drive's RPM. (access times are all going to be very close regardless of the drive.) Go for the Western Digital Raptor. It's plain ol' SATA and doesn't require anything special, except a modern MB that supports SATA. it has a 5 year warranty.

I would say don't worry about your RAM. It's rated and running fine at DDR400. The only advantage the more expensive DDR400 ram would have is it would run at slightly faster timings, but you would never see the difference outside of a lab. Ram that was actually rated faster (like PC3700 and up) will only be helpful if you are overclocking.

Get the Raptor and use it as your boot drive and load your favorite games on it. Use the other 200gig as general storage. (Videos. pictures and less used programs)

That Raptor will make your box feel like a brand new Hot Rodd. It makes a big, very noticeable difference.

I noticed you have an extreme edition. It is not low latency you are after but high Mhz ram you want. You can then increase your frontside bus since the extreme edition is unlocked. Look for OCZ Gold edition ram or equivilant.

ATI Manta (Sapphire PC-A9RD580)

Opteron 170 @ 2.91Ghz

Mushkin XP4000 2*1G @264Mhz(3-3-2-6)

HIS X1900XTX IceQ3

TrackIR3 Pro

Thanks for the feedback lads. I already have a couple of SATA HDD's in the machine both with about 50Gb + spare.

At least I now know that there will be little point in replacing the memory in my machine with lower latency memory.

Would there be any mileage in upping the memory to 2gig???

I really am concerned about the load times of LOMAC - i timed it last night at over 4 minutes (i know it doesn't sound a lot! But when you are sat waiting - it seems an age!)

Thanks again

159th_mako.jpg

'Speak softly and carry a big stick'

isnt it true that too much ram can actully be harmful...or slower i mean...and man is FC that much worse then lomac cause i have a lower end systim then you and i have no problems....

2.8 ghz amd

1 gig ram

ati radeon 9600 256 ddr

PooHead: "Tower request Immedite Landing"

Tower: "Poohead what is the nature of your problem"

PooHead: "Tower the RIVER RUNETH BROWN"

Tower: "Acknowdleged cleared Hot, will have Bucket of water and Stain remover on stand by"

Nope, more RAM won't do it. 1Gb is the 'sweet spot'.

There was a report somewhere that LOMAC dislikes some video codecs and takes longer to load if they are present.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

I'm using some uber memories (Kington HyperX). And from my own experience, there's no noticable diffrence between value memories and them. We'are talking here like +3% average performance gain maybe :icon_frow

Mako_159th, I really like your signature! :) Great design.

I must also add I like it because I'm great fan of combat jets and my all time fav. animals are wolfs and sharks. And you combined both on your signature :cool:

51PVO Founding member (DEC2007-)

100KIAP Founding member (DEC2018-)

:: Shaman aka [100☭] Shamansky

tail# 44 or 444

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] 100KIAP Regiment Early Warning & Control officer

I really am concerned about the load times of LOMAC - i timed it last night at over 4 minutes (i know it doesn't sound a lot! But when you are sat waiting - it seems an age!)

4 mins! whoah! Obvious things to check:

Set your page file so its minimum size is the same and your maximum. This prevents the pagefile growing and shrinking when windows thinks you require it (And it fragments your drive really really badly)

Defrag the hard drive(s)... lots...

Move your pagefile to another physical drive (not just another partition on the same drive as your boot partition)

Move you TEMP location to another physical drive (as above).

Run PageDefrag ( http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/PageDefrag.html ) to make sure your page file and system files are not fragmented (it defrags just before XP really starts, so there are no file locks stopping it).

EDIT: Turn off any antivirus you have running, and see if that makes any difference in load times.

That might help... maybe....