AIM-9P

MBot

AIM-9P.jpg

I just completed my latest model and sent it to ED. It is the AIM-9P-3 Sidewinder.

What differs the AIM-9P from the AIM-9M we have currently in Lock On is that the first is a rear aspect missle. The P has to be launched from the rear hemisphere of a target so that the missle seeker can the hot engine nozzles. This makes the AIM-9P a true dogfight missle, as you have to fight for a position to employ this weapon.

The 9P entered service in 1978 and was intended as a cheaper brother of the 'all aspect' AIM-9L and for export for less trusted allies. Over 21'000 units of these weapon have been built or upgraded from existing E/J/N models. The USAF still has this weapons in its depots. The AIM-9P has been used very succesfully by Iran during the first gulf war. Iranian F-14 scored over 50 of their over 150 kills using the AIM-9P. Iranian F-4 and F-5 also scored many AIM-9P kills.

Since this is a completly new weapon and not simply a new 3d model for a existing weapon it isn't sure that it will be imported into Lock On ( assuming it will pass EDs quality controll ). I guess it depends how difficult it is to programm a new weapon. On one hand it could be fairly easy as we already have a Sidewinder in the game. On the other hand the 9P needs a aspect model of IR signature. I am not sure but I think we already have this one ( for the IRST ) but I don't know if it is sofisticated enough. And the biggest question might be if the AI can actualy handel a rear aspect only missle. Does the AI in Lock On is able to maneuver for a good IR lock or can it only point the nose at its target ( wich is enough for all aspect heaters ) ? We will see what ED has to say about it. But I hope they will take the time to add this weapon as it will greatly increase the gameplay of dogfoghts IMHO.

If ED is happy with the quality of the model and if they actualy import the AIM-9P in the game, I would be willing to model the R-13M missle aswell. So the older russian fighters ( MiG-23, Su-17 at least ) would have a rear aspect heater aswell. Also ED could model the early R-60 ( we currently have the R-60M ) wich is also a rear aspect weapon. Perhaps the R-60 wouldn't even need a new 3d model.

From version -4 the AIM-9P got all aspect seekers. As you can see, my model recreates the AIM-9P-3 with its white paintjob.

I couldn't find any further references about numbers, service dates and upgrades of the various subversions.

The AIM-9P-4 and AIM-9P-5 are all aspect. The AIM-9P1 to 3 are rear hemisphere missiles exactly like described by Mbot.

I totally agree that the availability of a rear-aspect missile would greatly enhance the possibility to create realistic scenario's. Rear-aspect heaters would still be the most likely threat during much of the eighties.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• ED Team

OK

We'll think about rear aspect missiles.

The main difference that missiles from all-aspect is haven’t cool seeker, because of that missiles may lock the target at rear hemisphere (hot nozzles) only.

Единственный урок, который можно извлечь из истории, состоит в том, что люди не извлекают из истории никаких уроков. (С) Джордж Бернард Шоу

Chizh, I'll attempt to translate what you said, tell me if I am wrong :)

Rear aspect seekers only see some of the shorter wavelength IR (ie. hot) which makes them less useful in head-on situations where they cannot see the longer wavelength IR.

All-Aspect heat seekers 'see' longer wavelength IR (the seeker is physically composed of different material to achieve this, and of course, in most missiles it is also cooled by either liquid or gas cooling or electrothermally) so they can see the target from any aspect since the cooler heat emissions are what make up the signature in anything-but-rear aspect shots.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

OK

We'll think about rear aspect missiles.

Excellent, to think about it is good start :) I sent the model to Acgaen, I hope he will be statisified.

Since you mentioned missles in the plural form, do you also consider the early R-60 ?

Thank you for popping in Chizh.

• ED Team

R-60.

Why not if will be 9P? :)

But it for not for 1.11.

Единственный урок, который можно извлечь из истории, состоит в том, что люди не извлекают из истории никаких уроков. (С) Джордж Бернард Шоу

There are some other rear-aspect missiles to consider too, like early versions of the SA-7 and the Redeye (stinger predecessor) missile systems.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

R-60.

Why not if will be 9P? :)

But it for not for 1.11.

Hehe, you made my day :)

With Chizh in such a good mood, what other rear aspect missles can we think of ? How about Magic Mk1 for the upcomming Mirage F1 ?

• ED Team
Chizh, I'll attempt to translate what you said, tell me if I am wrong :)

Rear aspect seekers only see some of the shorter wavelength IR (ie. hot) which makes them less useful in head-on situations where they cannot see the longer wavelength IR.

All-Aspect heat seekers 'see' longer wavelength IR (the seeker is physically composed of different material to achieve this, and of course, in most missiles it is also cooled by either liquid or gas cooling or electrothermally) so they can see the target from any aspect since the cooler heat emissions are what make up the signature in anything-but-rear aspect shots.

The R-60M with refrigerating medium cooling is all aspect missile, without it – rear aspect missile. It is one missile but her characteristic entirely depending from cooling and not different at longer or shorter wavelength.

• ED Team
Hehe, you made my day :)

With Chizh in such a good mood, what other rear aspect missles can we think of ? How about Magic Mk1 for the upcomming Mirage F1 ?

If we’ll create the rear aspect missiles class, to be possible any of that missiles.

Another interesting information:

From the current LOMAC countrys, not only the USA but also Turkey has the AIM-9P in its inventory. It owns 750 units of the AIM-9P-3 next to 500 AIM-9M and 640 AIM-9L ( source: globaldefence.net ).

Also I started collecting references for the R-13M and I hope I have time the next weekend to start modeling.

Not so sure about this ... the British Sea Harriers were using Ls (which I think were all aspect) in the Falklands in 82.

That is true: the fact that the Harriers had the all-aspect AIM-9L even proved very decisive! Fact is most countries did not have all-aspect heaters at that moment.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

That is true: the fact that the Harriers had the all-aspect AIM-9L even proved very decisive!

Even more interesting is that every AIM-9L shot in the Falkland war was from rear aspect and every attemt to lock on a target head on failed ! British Sea Harrier pilots remarked that they would most likely had achieved exacty the same results with the older AIM-9G they used before their trip south.