Nvidia SLI Corrupt TGP/MAV/Mirror + Cloud Flicker + 'Every Frame' display FIX

Quirkitized

This fixed the need for 'every frame' display (256, 512 or 1024) for me. It also fixed my corrupt TGP/Mirrors.

1. Download nvidia inspector, I used 1.9.5.5 - Nvidia Inspector 1.9.5.5 . Extract it to a folder (ex: C:\NvidiaInspector

2. Run the program, once it's open click the driver profile setting button

nvin1.jpg

3. In the Profiles dropdown selection box, pick Digital Combat Simulator Black Shark. Or just type in digital and it will come up

nvin2.jpg

4. Scroll down until you see the SLI settings. These are the default values it gives

nvin3.jpg

5. We will change the following:

- SLI rendering mode: SLI_RENDERING_MODE_FORCE_AFR_OF_SFR_FALLBACK_3AFR

nvin44.jpg

6. At the very top right of nvidia inspector, hit "APPLY CHANGES". You're done!

PLEASE NOTE: If these settings do not work for you, just simply use the "restore current profile to nvidia default settings" button at the top of nvidia inspector.

Edited by Quirkitized
  • Like 5

I'm running two Nvidia GTS 450 cards in SLI. In stock form, running with 512 every frame, I get 60 FPS with the TGP in CCD, and 30 FPS in either FLIR mode. Unfortunately, while the tweaks above solved the flickering issue, it reduced my performance to 13 FPS all around.

I'm thinking because my cards are so substandard, it just wasn't meant to be. :(

Hi Quirk, I tried your settings and it too has bit of an impact on frame rate.

AFR1 = approx 45-50fps GPU1 usage 90% GPU2 usage 45%

AFR2 = approx 90-100fps GPU1 usage 80% GPU2 usage 75%

and for reference Single gpu = approx 75-80 fps GPU usage 99%

these are all from the first easy instant action. It definately fixed the cloud flicker and tgp for me though. The GPU load on AFR2 seems more even and gives a good boost just a pity it has some issues.

i7-6700K | Asus Z170I Pro Gaming | 16GB | GTX1070 | 500GB Samsung 860 EVO | Win 10 | TIR5 | TM Hotas Warthog

Well the only downside to AFR2 is cloud flickering(so I have found). It's just you need to use one of the three to get rid of TGP/MAV/Mirror corrupt graphics (see my other thread for images of corrupt tgp.) Since by default, Nvidia's SLI rendering mode (the default one) causes corrupt tgp/mirror displays, so it's kind of pick your poison on which rendering mode you want, there's a trade off on all it seems.

Thank you both for trying it out, glad its working for getting rid of flickering clouds, displays, and tgp bug. However it looks like any type of FPS gain or loss will be random. I re worked the first post, I'm so tired I can't believe how sloppy it was. I hope for others it's easier to read and understand now.

Really interested to see results from other Nvidia Surround users, maybe this just doesn't work that well for single display. Are either of you using surround or just single?

It does suck though, each one has a drawback...maybe eventually there can be the perfect choice. Maybe there is, we just haven't found it yet.

Edited by Quirkitized

Just thought I'd reply with a quick update before I log off for half the day. To those that have already tried any of the changes, could you please try: AFR_OF_SFR_FALLBACK_3AFR for sli rendering mode.

I have updated the guide and I now use this, it seems too good to be true but I get no cloud flicker, I can use any 'non' everyframe display, i get no corrupt tgp/mirrors, and I don't lose any FPS at all.

Would be interesting to see other peoples results.

EDIT: Yeah, I just did the first instant action mission and didn't see a single cloud flicker, TGP/Mav display didn't get corrupt, and I did the mission using 512 display (not everyframe). Man I hope this works for others!!! I used the new above Sli rendering mode AFR_OF_SFR_FALLBACK_3AFR

Edited by Quirkitized
  • Like 1

Quirk! you did it, almost...

I just flew campaign mission 10-1-0, Georgian Hammer and the only problem was that the sun flashed with the TGP in CCD mode at the beginning of the mission, only for the first few minutes.

Thanks for your detective work, very much appreciated.

I feel your pain but thanks to you the sim is now performing beautifully!

Settings in-game attached.

PS I forgot to try with mirrors, don't normally fly with them..

ingame.thumb.jpg.ec03cf532f169f41726ed7370be64b75.jpg

Edited by toby23

Ryzen 5800X, 32GB RAM, RTX 3060

You are getting +1!!! DCS make sure this is at the top of every technical thread you have....

My setup... 1 monitor GTX 590

I went ahead and downloaded the nvidia inspector because I couldn't find the AFR_OF_SFR_FALLBACK_3AFR in nvidia control panel...

My results, increase of 20 fps over single gpu at 1920 x 1080

no flicker on tgp, or clouds... I don't ever use mirrors

no gridlines when I zoom in or out on TGP

Tgp set to 512 (not every frame)

Thank you kind Sir, you have saved a lot of us some serious headache...

Edited by snwboardn

Hey Quirk, at work at the moment but I will try AFR_OF_SFR_FALLBACK_3AFR as soon as I get home.

I am currently running 2 x 24" monitors 1920x2160 res. MFD's on lower screen.

Will let you know. Thanks

i7-6700K | Asus Z170I Pro Gaming | 16GB | GTX1070 | 500GB Samsung 860 EVO | Win 10 | TIR5 | TM Hotas Warthog

Tried AFR_OF_SFR_FALLBACK_3AFR using Nvidia Inspector and unfortunately still getting cloud flickering, TGP flickering (when not on "every frame). Did not work for me (specs below).

I usually run Surround with three monitors but had one go out this week, so this was with a single-monitor display. Confirmed AFR settings in Inspector and that this then changed my Nvidia Control Panel SLI rendering mode to "Custom", so should have worked. Any other ideas? Thanks for all the hard work on this...

Tried AFR_OF_SFR_FALLBACK_3AFR using Nvidia Inspector and unfortunately still getting cloud flickering, TGP flickering (when not on "every frame). Did not work for me (specs below).

I usually run Surround with three monitors but had one go out this week, so this was with a single-monitor display. Confirmed AFR settings in Inspector and that this then changed my Nvidia Control Panel SLI rendering mode to "Custom", so should have worked. Any other ideas? Thanks for all the hard work on this...

Did you change the SLI rendering mode or nvidia predefined sli mode?

Make sure you have the black shark profile selected and change "SLI rendering mode". You can leave the predefined to the default AFR2. Bummer if it isn't working for you :(

All I changed in Nvidia control panel was GPU's to use global setting (default settings) then changed the Tried AFR_OF_SFR_FALLBACK_3AFR in inspector, and left everything else at default for the black shark profile in inspector...

Very strange in deed. I only loaded it up long enough to get it in the air and play with the TGP so there may be some stuff I over-looked... I did notice when I was testing my mission in 1680x1050 SOME of the ground textures flickered a tiny bit when I looked at them at a certain angle, but nothing that looked out of the norm... I will have to play with some of the different weather options to make sure when I get home.

deephouse, try resetting Black Shark settings to Default in Nvidia Inspector and do not use the Nvidia Control Panel to change anything. You need to completely reset the profile for this to work.

Ryzen 5800X, 32GB RAM, RTX 3060

Did a "restore" in Nvidia Control Panel both for Blackshark and globally to clean it out, then also did a "restore" in Inspector, then proceeded to only change the SLI Rendering Mode to the AFR_OF_SFR_FALLBACK_3AFR option (see below).

Still not fixing cloud flickering, TGP flickering. Hmmm...any other ideas? Could it not be working because I am not currently using Surround?? Might have to try a variety of settings...certainly what you've shown is that it's achievable...

NVCP.jpg

NVIS.jpg

Curious what driver version you guys are using...I had reverted to 270.61 because the 275.X was creating polygonal funkiness in the TGP, but perhaps the "3AFR" fix only works with the new driver?? Will investigate...:-)

Confirmed fixed

Sorry for taking so long to reply to this, but I wanted to get a chance to test it properly.

Now...Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! :D

If you didn't guess I am rather grateful for your research into fixing this problem and I can confirm that it is indeed fixed.

I have included a screen shot of a table containing the results of my own tests using this tweak. (Hopefully its not too confusing, if it is ask and I'll explain.)

It has been a few DCS patches since I have tested current SLi performance in the sim so this was interesting for that too, as I discovered some oddities I had not seen before.

Firstly, you can see by the table that SLI working does give a nice 10+ FPS boost to the sim. But damn, with both MAV & TGP active (or even singly) they really kill performance no matter what you do. SLI on or off, or 256 or 512 res make not a bit of difference. This surprises me, as I am sure that SLi was making a gain with these two sensors active last time I benchmarked. But anyway, compared to having to run 512 everyframe @26 fps..I'll take 34fps any day, and I still get a boost every where else thanks to the fact we now have fixed the need to run with the every frame setting.

Good job and thanks again Quirk!

I really hope that ED can do anything to further improve the performance of having these sensors active. 34FPS may sound like a lot, but this is the MAXIMUM and is before I have even gotten to the target area. Also while using TackIR you really want the FPS to be around 40 to stop any jittery/stuttery head panning.

ps; I generated a quick mission where I start airborne to conduct the test. I have attached the test mission if anyone is interested. The graphics settings I use are in my sig (with the exception of MFCD res obviously)

SLIGraph.thumb.jpg.b11e030150d6004cc2a2487157455b54.jpg

SLITest.miz

Edited by BTTW-DratsaB

Specs: GA-Z87X-UD3H, i7-4770k, 16GB, RTX2060, SB AE-5, 750watt Corsair PSU, X52, Track IR4, Win10x64.

Sim Settings: Textures: ? | Scenes: ? |Water: ? | Visibility Range: ? | Heat Blur: ? | Shadows: ? | Res: 1680x1050 | Aspect: 16:10 | Monitors: 1 Screen | MSAA: ? | Tree Visibility: ? | Vsync: On | Mirrors: ? | Civ Traffic: High | Res Of Cockpit Disp: 512 | Clutter: ? | Fullscreen: On

Works for me now (sli rendering setting)...no flicker in the TGP and MAV fps drop is minimal compared to previously

A10C = 1.1.0.9

Cockpit = 512

vsync = on

maxfps = 60

Nvidia = 280.19 betas (didn't work on 266.58 or 275.33 for me)

PC = Win7 x64 | Q9550@3.8 | 460 SLI

Getting more or less constant 50-60 fps! (1920x1200|AA 4x|no clutter|trees@7000|water medium|shadows medium|civ low)

Now I can get stuck into the sim instead of dicking about with the settings!!! ;-)

Thanks Quirk!

Edited by richiehatchet

Hi All, Thanks for the excellent information and help, I have tried these settings that Quirk has outlined and these are my results. I get a solid 15FPS with SLI_RENDERING_MODE_FORCE_AFR_OF_SFR_FALLBACK_3AFR set in Nvidia inspector (nvidia control panel set to default), I get roughly 30 FPS with SLI_RENDERING_MODE_FORCE_AFR_2 and I do also get cloud flickering.. here is my setup:

i7-2600K, 16GB 1600Mhz Kingston ram, 2x GTX580 (3gb) SLI, P67A-UD5-B3 MB, OZC 120GB SSD, 1TB Sata HDD. I have 2 screens, one main 24in and 2nd screen 19in with MFCD exported and Cougar MFD over the top.. Fine tuning the settings in both inspector and nvidia control panel are a little overwhelming to me as I don't really know what 1/2 of them do.. I have read a lot of the post out there but still cant get anything to help me with my FPS.. I have the latest driver install 280.26.. and the latest DCS A10C installed. sorry if this has already been addressed else where but I do appreciate all your help and expertise.

Thanks in advance

SANDMAN.

are you using the 1 screen option or the 3 screen option (or mfd, etc.) If I don't use the One Screen option, I get 20fps.

I am not sure on how to go about using the 1 Screen option while still using MFD's. Might want to check multi-monitor thread(s) for that.

ok thanks Quirk, I followed a few threads with regards to modifying the LUA fie to export MFDs.. When I was running only one card and 2 screens I was getting 40+FPS.. now with 2 cards in SLI its gone backwards.. Kinda stumped but ill keep look and tinkering.

Thanks again for your help.

:)