Jedi's A-10C home made cockpit

jvanes

Shawn, why re-invent the wheel. I have done all this, what is it you are trying to dxf. We can send you dxf files?

weeb

Windows 7 64 Home Premium, i5 3570K (3.4 @ 4.4GHz), Asus P8Z77-V LX, 16GB dual channel 1600 ram, EVGA Nvidia GTX980ti, 240 GB OCZ SSD, 3 TB Raptor, Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas and Throttle, Saitek Pro Combat Rudder pedals.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course its in mm. :doh: The rough conversion places it on a 4'x8' sheet of plywood with virtually no scrap left over from the cut. Shawn, use a metric to imperial calculator (mm to inches) and it will become apparent.

Also... what Weeb said.

Regards

John W

aka WarHog.

My Cockpit Build Pictures...

John Wall

My Arduino Sketches ... https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1-Dc0Wd9C5l3uY-cPj1iQD3iAEHY6EuHg?usp=sharing

WIN 10 Pro, i8-8700k @ 5.0ghz, ASUS Maximus x Code, 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Ram,

AIO Water Cooler, M.2 512GB NVMe,

500gb SSD, EVGA GTX 1080 ti (11gb), Sony 65” 4K Display

VPC MongoosT-50, TM Warthog Throttle, TRK IR 5.0, Slaw Viper Pedals

After a long time away from DCS I have found exactly what I'm looking for.

Could I please have a copy of the files? Hopefully I can then find a cutting service here in the UK or its going to be back to the hand tools :/

Thank you

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

HTC Vive

Windows 10 Maximus VIII Hero i7-6700k CPU @ 4.2GHz 16GB Nvida GeForce GTX 1080. Ram Duel SSD's

I see in earlier replies to this post that some people were having issues finding a program to view the DXF files.

If anybody needs PDF's of the drawings, I'd have no issue making them from AutoCAD and posting them for download. The PDFs could then be easily viewed and also taken to a Kinko's or other print stores that handle architectural drawings for plotting on a large format printer.

That would be great ...Thanks:thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

HTC Vive

Windows 10 Maximus VIII Hero i7-6700k CPU @ 4.2GHz 16GB Nvida GeForce GTX 1080. Ram Duel SSD's

I believe check page 9-11 these a download link for all the PDF and DXF Rockeyes.

I just been trying to rescale it into Solid works

Thanks mate. I'm going around in circles here trying to find something that works.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

HTC Vive

Well I think I figure it out. I wonder if anyone has Sketchup, or Solidworks or AutoCAN of this cockpit because these some modifications i like to do to it, and make it more storable while maintain its beauty. Than ill upload for everyone to have access to the great modifcations

but first i need the Sketchup/Solidworks/AutoCAN file... if anyone has it. Please >>>> Please PM me with files!!

And thank you!

Edited by ShawnShepard
added more

• 1 month later...

Definitely going to tackle this as my winter project. I don't think I'll be able to get it CNC'd though. Hand power tools for me. Shouldn't be too hard for someone who dabbles in carpentry. Thanks to everyone for sharing.

_:Windows 10 64 Bit, I7 3770 3.4Ghz, 16 Gigs Ram, GTX 960, TM Warthog, Track IR 5 w/Pro Clip:_

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi jedi. I'm building my own pit and was referred here to see if you had the plans for you're ejection seat available. I cannot seem to find any on the webs and was wondering if you could pm me so I can get the set.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Know and use all the capabilities in your airplane. If you don't, sooner or later, some guy who does use them all will kick your ass.

— Dave 'Preacher' Pace, USN.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

considering making Jedi's cockpit, although after reading this whole thread I'm a little confused as to which plans I should be using (found a nice guy to CNC the plans for me). Are the 2400x1200 plans complete in 12mm board or do they still require the thinner boards as well?

Confused!

Thanks

Fred

• 4 weeks later...
Hi all,

considering making Jedi's cockpit, although after reading this whole thread I'm a little confused as to which plans I should be using (found a nice guy to CNC the plans for me). Are the 2400x1200 plans complete in 12mm board or do they still require the thinner boards as well?

Confused!

Thanks

Fred

The plans require 6mm, 12mm and 18mm sheets of plywood, most of it is 12mm but some parts need to be 18mm for stability and the 6mm parts are as i have been able to understand mostly cosmetic details. The different versions of the plans are linked below, the first ones are for manually printing out plans and building it using hand tools, and the other ones are for CNC routers.

Hand cutting:

These can be left to a print shop to be printed at 1:1 scale and then you just lay them out on top of you plywood sheets and get the jigsaw going. :P

PDFs are attached in a .zip file in this post.

CNC:

Here's the CNC dxf files for all 5 sheets. (1x6mm, 1x18mm and 3x12mm) The cutting pattern optimization is based on imperial measurements in these files.

If you work in metric, heres the alternate layout for the three 12mm sheets. This rearanges the cutting plan so that you can use three 1200x2400mm plywood sheets. You still need the 6mm and 18mm from the above file to cut all of the parts.

The material you need is listed in this post

Edited by RaXha
  • Like 1

Any tips or tricks for translating the provided plans onto the actual wood for cutting?

Largest printer I have access to is only 24" wide :(

My gameplan is to hand-cut it all, likely a combination of some light powertools and hand saws, but accurately drawing it out on the wood is making me a little nervous as some measurements seem to be missing - for example, what's the placement details of these holes?

4BQaM1A.png

Edited by dotalchemy

Any tips or tricks for translating the provided plans onto the actual wood for cutting?

Largest printer I have access to is only 24" wide :(

My gameplan is to hand-cut it all, likely a combination of some light powertools and hand saws, but accurately drawing it out on the wood is making me a little nervous as some measurements seem to be missing - for example, what's the placement details of these holes?

4BQaM1A.png

Adobe reader can print larger posters on multiple pages using a function called poster print.

https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/print-posters-banners-acrobat-reader.html

These are ther files you print:

http://forums.eagle.ru/attachment.php?attachmentid=82429&d=1369468434

Oh, that's magical and you're a magical person for sharing that. Thanks!

I'll probably go this route myself since my local print shop wanted about $350 to print all five pages at full size, a bit steep if you ask me. For that price i might aswell find someone that can CNC cut it for me. :noexpression:

Edited by RaXha

I'll probably go this route myself since my local print shop wanted about $350 to print all five pages at full size, a bit steep if you ask me. For that price i might aswell find someone that can CNC cut it for me. :noexpression:

Yeah, I fired off an email to a local CNC place but they didn't respond - strange too, considering it's a small family run place and you'd think they would at least entertain paid work. I've a 24" WFP in the office that I could probably use too, but that's still going to need multiple sheets.

The immediate issue is fitting 5x 4'x8' sheets of plywood in the back of a Mustang :(

Yeah, I fired off an email to a local CNC place but they didn't respond - strange too, considering it's a small family run place and you'd think they would at least entertain paid work. I've a 24" WFP in the office that I could probably use too, but that's still going to need multiple sheets.

The immediate issue is fitting 5x 4'x8' sheets of plywood in the back of a Mustang :(

I did so too, they build furniture as their living so youd think this was their specialty, i got an instant reply that the CNC machines they had can't do this kind of work, and that i need to find someone with a "nesting CNC", whatever that means! :book:

I did so too, they build furniture as their living so youd think this was their specialty, i got an instant reply that the CNC machines they had can't do this kind of work, and that i need to find someone with a "nesting CNC", whatever that means! :book:

Isn't nesting just the process of putting all the bits in an order which minimizes waste? Perhaps it requires a particular type of bed so that all the material can be accessed?

I think Acrobat's banner print feature + 3M spray mount glue + some hours in my garage are probably the way forward like you suggest - plus that way you get to actually say you built the whole thing yourself, which will arguably be a big hit with the ladies when they see your DIY prowess... :lol:

Isn't nesting just the process of putting all the bits in an order which minimizes waste? Perhaps it requires a particular type of bed so that all the material can be accessed?

I think Acrobat's banner print feature + 3M spray mount glue + some hours in my garage are probably the way forward like you suggest - plus that way you get to actually say you built the whole thing yourself, which will arguably be a big hit with the ladies when they see your DIY prowess... :lol:

It's the last part im afraid of, because my DIY prowess is MIA. :lol: I also just checked the price on birch plywood in my region and well, the wife is not going to be happy! :D

Edited by RaXha

How much are you talking about spending? How realistic of a pit do you want? have you checked out Hans instructions? There other possibilities than having a massive wooden pit cut with CNC.

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/a-10c-warthog-supplies

https://forum.dcs.world/topic/133818-deadmans-cockpit-base-plans/#comment-133824

CNCs and Laser engravers are great but they can't do squat with out a precise set of plans.

How much are you talking about spending? How realistic of a pit do you want? have you checked out Hans instructions? There other possibilities than having a massive wooden pit cut with CNC.

Nah the CNC thing was more or less just out of curiosity, i'll probably be cutting it by hand. I found someone that will print the cutting diagrams for me for $50, so thats the way ill go. Material cost isn't really going to be a problem. :-)

Edited by RaXha

Hey RaXha,

Thanks for the links, got those already. It was more a question regarding the optimised 2400x1200 sheets as to whether that was the complete cockpit, or whether it still needed the 6mm and 18mm sheets as well. At the moment I'm just finishing off the room I'm going to put the sim in - had to drywall the room and I'm still finishing off the plastering. Hopefully get around to the simpit soon!

Fred

Hey RaXha,

Thanks for the links, got those already. It was more a question regarding the optimised 2400x1200 sheets as to whether that was the complete cockpit, or whether it still needed the 6mm and 18mm sheets as well. At the moment I'm just finishing off the room I'm going to put the sim in - had to drywall the room and I'm still finishing off the plastering. Hopefully get around to the simpit soon!

Fred

You need the 6 and 18mm sheets aswell, the reason they're not in there is that they dont need to be changed since they only take up a small part of each sheet, so you can use the cutting patterns for 6 and 18mm from the other file regardless of the size of your plywood sheet. (this one)

Well I think I figure it out. I wonder if anyone has Sketchup, or Solidworks or AutoCAN of this cockpit because these some modifications i like to do to it, and make it more storable while maintain its beauty. Than ill upload for everyone to have access to the great modifcations

but first i need the Sketchup/Solidworks/AutoCAN file... if anyone has it. Please >>>> Please PM me with files!!

And thank you!

Did you ever find that sketchup file? I see there has been one uploaded in this thread before but the link appears to be dead. :-/

Edited by RaXha