AMD & A-10 Graphics Options Settings

Fakum

Hello all,,, just coming off of a separation from A-10 for about 2 months, just loaded up a fresh install of 1109, Noticed I’m still having some video stuttering. Had worked on that here and there on the previous versions as well. I decided to spend a lot more time sifting through the threads again to get an opinion on settings to improve this, I did note some points that seemed vital. E.G. “Set the CCC to Application Control, use the A-10 graphics interface to make your adjustments”, another was “ Use adaptive-AA within CCC, turn off TSSAA in game”. Setting VSYNC is still a mystery to me, the threads I have read don’t seem to clarify this for me? Since I use a 60 Hz refresh rate for my LCD, and my frame rates are typically below this, I interpreted what I have read about VSYNC to mean I should turn it off. (Haven’t tried it yet though).

I’m posting this because although there are many threads related to this topic, it’s a bit convoluted in my opinion. I honestly don’t have any idea about what some of these settings actually do? An example would be the statement to set the CC to Application Controlled,, that’s good advice, but what about all the other settings in the CCC that don’t offer that setting?

Below are my current settings, please post up any suggestions for those of us that are scratching their heads still. Thanks for the opportunity to improve as well.

AMD Catalyst Control Center 3D Application Settings=

SMOOTHVISION HD: Anti- Aliasing (Use Application settings)

SMOOTHVISION HD: Anisotropic Filtering (Use Application settings)

Tessellation (Use Application settings)

Catalyst A.I. (Texture Filtering=Quality) (Enable Surface Format Optimization = unchecked)

Mitmap Detail Level (set to High Quality)

Wait for vertical refresh (set to off, unless application specifies)

Anti-Aliasing Mode (set to Multi-sample AA)

OpenGL Settings (Triple buffering = unchecked)

DCS Warthog graphics options settings =

Textures = High

Scenes = High

Civ Traffic = Off

Water = Med

Visib Range = High

Heat Blur = Off

Shadows = Low

Resolution = 2560 x 1600

Aspect Ratio = 16:00

Monitors = 1 Screen

Res of Cockpit Displays = 1024 Every Frame

MSAA = 8X

HDR = Normal

Clutter / Bushes = 500m

Trees Visibility = 7049

Birds = 0%

Mirrors = Off

Edited by Fakum

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

Your settings are too high. Look for My settings on the screenshots below.

I have: I7 2600K OC to 4,4 Ghz, 16 Gb RAM, ATI RADEON 5870 1GB, Monitor: HP w2448hc, Resolution 1900 x 1200 and I`m using the lower settings than You.

I think You should to change:

Scenes = MEDIUM

Water = LOW (first main factor of low FPS)

Visib Range = MEDIUM (second main factor of low FPS)

Res of Cockpit Displays = 256 (1024 Every Frame is forbidden so far :( ). 256 is more realistic, just like in a real world (look on some movies at Youtube with the real A-10C).

MSAA = 2X

Clutter / Bushes = 100 m

Trees Visibility = 6000 m

Heat Blur = On

Turn off mirrors.

AMD Catalyst Control Center 3D Application Settings are good for Your system.

I think VSYNC should be turn on. I always have VSYNC turn on. The games is working smoother.

Now You can play comfortably.

Look on my settings below.

Best regards!!!!

1603090049_Settings1.thumb.jpg.ea90650183cd51a5f1a08f05e33025e7.jpg

957974790_Settings2.thumb.jpg.d8a2ff774df353c019529c72a75bb88f.jpg

Open windows Services and in there you will see AMD External Events Utility, turn it off and see if stuttering goes away

Note: if your stuttering is just bad FPS then don't bother about this, but if you notice FPS dips on certain intervals (as if some process is using lot of CPU for a split second) then you can bet some service/exe is doing this and for me this one did it.

Leave V-sync on, turn off mirrors and HDR and turn off this service, also limit your FPS in Graphics.cfg to something like 28fps and you'll have smoother overall FPS and your hardware will not work as hard and in my opinion this FPS is quite enough... if you can get higher and be stable and not dip lower you can increase a bit

No longer active in DCS...

Thanks for the tips so far guys, I forgot to show the status of mirrors and birds, mirrors were off anyway.

As far as turning off AMD External Events Utility, there seems to be a few options to do this, one would be to stop, another to stop all services, another to disable it? Whats the best option? (I have no idea what the impacts on any of these options are?

limit to 28 fps,, that will be an interesting trial,,, But I will,, thanks

Edited by Fakum

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

Just FYI - birds are not a graphical setting. Purely a statistical number used to set the risk you stand of getting a bird through your engine when flying low.

EDIT: And can you please make your signature smaller? 6 lines is the max. Thanks. :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

I followed up on the limiting the FPS to 28 suggestion, I read that if you have VSYNC enabled, it automatically sets the limit to 60? That adds more confusion in the case that kuky says he has it on also but limits it to 28?

Perhaps im in the wrong file location, but I went to this path to find a "graphics.cfg" file and the only line I found with a FPS was "MaxFPS" and it was set at 120?

File location=

C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS A-10C\Config\graphics.cfg

Exerpt from file =

NoiseStrip

{

min = 2095;

max = 2505;

}

ScreenshotQuality = 90;

ScreenshotExt = "jpg";

EffectOptions = 0;

Exhaust = 0;

ShadowDensity = 0.6;

PilotName = "No";

FogParam1 = 6;

FogParam2 = 1.1;

CivilianRoutes = "";

AviFolder = "Movies/";

PilotNames = 0;

MaxFPS = 120;

1024 every frame is "forbidden"? Why is that, exactly?

Hardcore DCS pilots use only Res of Cockpit Displays = 256, because this resolution causes, that the game is more difficult and realistic (look at this movie - select 1080 HD setting: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfZiVdaiFus ). TGP looks like in Res= 256.

Besides 1024 every frame is killing significant efficiency in the game (this is the killing for the processor, when We have 1024 at: mirrors, TGP and Maverick).

Even Wags from ED is using 256 Res of Cockpit Displays.

Best regards!!!

Hm. If you're point is that the real screens aren't as clear as 1024 is, I suppose that may be true. But I couldn't help but note that that video, even at 1080, was still slightly blurry, even where it shouldn't be (the text on the screen). So, it stands to reason that while it may be true that the real screens are slightly blurrier than the sim's 1024 resolution, it isn't quite as blurry as that particular video makes it out to be.

Now, I have not ever tried 256, purely because I try to have the best graphics I can, I will try it next time as I have noticed that I lose some frames when I activate my TGP. So, I'll probably switch over for the frame boost, if nothing else.

Edited by Newt

Live every week like it's Shark Week. :D

1.) The real TGP may have a worse resolution, caused by the optics used, but that will not be caused by the display itself. That means having a crystal clear TAD (or every other system displayed) would be totally ok in regards to reality. So since you can't downsize the res of your TGP exclusively I prefer having the MFCDs at at least 512, so I have a good view on my TAD/DSMS/etc.

2. Blur in the vid may be caused by the decoder used for that video and may not neccessarily represent the quality in-game.

I think You should to change:

Scenes = MEDIUM

Water = LOW (first main factor of low FPS)

Visib Range = MEDIUM (second main factor of low FPS)

Res of Cockpit Displays = 256 (1024 Every Frame is forbidden so far sad.gif ). 256 is more realistic, just like in a real world (look on some movies at Youtube with the real A-10C).

MSAA = 2X

Clutter / Bushes = 100 m

Trees Visibility = 6000 m

Heat Blur = On

These are VERY low setting regarding your sys specs! And medium scenes + medium vis range is a really unadvantegeous decision when playing an A-G aircraft! ;)

I have way higher settings and still get an avarage FPS of about 30.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Asus ROG STRIX Z390-F Gaming, Intel Core i7 9700k , 32gb Corsair DDR4-3200

Asus RTX 2070 super, Samsung 970 EVO Plus M2, Win10 64bit, Acer XZ321QU (WQHD)

TM HOTAS Warthog, SAITEK Rudder Pedals, TIR 5

Also kill CCC and MOM processes (or alternatively deselct CCC from startup items). If you have "Power Control Settings" in the Performance tab of CCC, try putting it on +20% (although I don't know if that's just an option for the 6 series).

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You turn V-sync on to get rid of the screen tearing and limit the FPS to make your hardware work easier and also should get rid of possible stutters caused by v-sync when your FPS hovers around v-sync limit of 60 fps

also I think ED should separate options for mirrors and MFCD resolution as mirrors should always be as sharp as external world image whereas MFCD could be set lower if people prefer that way if they think it's more realistic

You turn V-sync on to get rid of the screen tearing and limit the FPS to make your hardware work easier and also should get rid of possible stutters caused by v-sync when your FPS hovers around v-sync limit of 60 fps

I have an outstanding questing regarding this, I did find a graphics.cfg, but the only line I see in there to edit fps is MAX, I did not see a line to limit? I would normally think that these were one in the same, but after reading through many threads, its talked about as if they are completely different lines?

I have an outstanding questing regarding this, I did find a graphics.cfg, but the only line I see in there to edit fps is MAX, I did not see a line to limit? I would normally think that these were one in the same, but after reading through many threads, its talked about as if they are completely different lines?

maxFPS is that line where you limit in game FPS