Border Patrol

Alright here is the first mission Im actually releasing as the patch broke my others. Single and 8 player Border Patrol for DCS A-10 ver 1.1.0.9, is an insanely hard mission that I was attempting to get the feel of a real A-10 pilot. Basically your on station for 3 hours flying around a grid attempting to locate and process targets. Your expected to manage ordinance to stay on station for the allotted time. Also if you havent changed your zoom you will need to do so for this one. see here: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=76866&highlight=binoculars.

Weather conditions are horrible, but you can still see fine up in the high country; the best thing I can advise is try to keep wingy alive long enough to help you spot targets. You will need to AAR a couple times in this mission. There are some slight issues with the AI attacking targets, but it only affects immersion, it has no effect on your objectives or gameplay; if you would like to help read the included readme. Otherwise leave feedback, and dont worry about complaining how long it is, I know Ive flown it quite a few times start to finish.

Also Targets appear randomly as the mission progresses, only three (of five random) groups will be spawned besides the ammo dump. So you may have to fly around for a while to find anything. The idea was that enemy units may set up shop while your on patrol.

Well thats it, good luck, see if you can make it through this one! Be forewarned this mission is tough, because it requires focus for so long, like a true pilot, I hope.

A10thumb.thumb.jpg.5f0284f9923913b68fbbf747c50f2511.jpg

BP1.thumb.jpg.5b998b6ca7737234ffc8fe44f9e3a4dc.jpg

BP2.thumb.jpg.98f63f32187d409537904b2e4b9b01ad.jpg

co8.BorderPatrol.v2.miz

sp.BorderPatrol.v2.miz

Edited by WildFire
Guess its alright to add the file here too...

Really looks like it's my kind of mission. The more realistic, the better.

I'm not sure when I'll be able to fly yours though, WildFire. I barely have time at the moment to test my own missions at the moment which last around 1h30.

In any case, this looks very promising and you can expect feedback from me as soon as I've had a go at it.

Spoiler

W10-x64 | Z390 Gigabyte Aorus Ultra | Core i7 9700K @ 4.8Ghz | Noctua NH-D15

Corsair 32Gb 3200 | MSI RTX 3080ti Gaming X

Asus Xonar AE | TM Hotas Warthog

MFG Crosswind pedals | Valve Index

LMAO, I looked at the first "screenshot" you gave, and for like, the first four seconds I thought, "that's a nice screenshot!". Then I thought, for the next four seconds after that, "WTF? how did he get his graphics settings so high?!?!?!" Then it hit me :doh:

Nice mixing there :D

Won't be long till even non-retarded people start confusing real-life images with DCS screenshots :) Or vice-versa.

Any chance for a MP version? A three hour patrol with AAR sounds like my kind of mission, but there's probably only a few guys in my squad that would be interested in such a thing... so it doesn't really matter if the MP version is only 2 players.

Edited by Speed

Intelligent discourse can only begin with the honest admission of your own fallibility.

Member of the Virtual Tactical Air Group: http://vtacticalairgroup.com/

Lua scripts and mods:

MIssion Scripting Tools (Mist): http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=98616

Slmod version 7.0 for DCS: World: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=80979

Now includes remote server administration tools for kicking, banning, loading missions, etc.

Yeah I'll throw out an MP version this weekend. Hard to make many more targets then there is though cause the random settings. After you have 3 groups the conditions go exponential. It gets insane, we need a new, less predictable random generator.

Reworked both versions so that if:

Single Player, the player leaves the area of two large triggers near the box/tanker you will fail.

Multiplayer, if everyone is out of the box triggers, slightly smaller than single player, you will fail.

Both triggers are set to run from 1500-1800, length of entire patrol time. Files will be here and uploaded to the DCS server.

Hey Wildfire

Really good mission you got there Mr Wildfire. Had the COOP one running last night (Australia Time) and there is an F16 that wants to tank while we 6-7 players paitently waiting for our turn to chase some tail. After the F16 tanked, it left and the tanker boom was still down and no one else could tank for fuel. Abort refuel didn't wont and the tankeris still flying around with boom down.

My suggestion is to have another Tanker in the mission. One for us and one for them (AI aircraft).

Two tankers is also a faster refueling process and the COOP flight could be split into two seperate elements and get the wp1 refuel done in half the time.

My two cents.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

AEF 161 Squadron CO ~~~ My YouTube Channel ~~~ "We struck down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering." The Shoveller ... Mystery Men

Hey, a few comments for v1 SP.

1. Wingman will not take off with you, or even start up, as there's no pilot inside.

2. The mission is fun overall, however some targets are hidden in a fog/clouds in such a way that no safe attack is possible. Makes sense IRL, so those were completely disregarded.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Aorus B550 Pro | 32GB DDR4-3600 | RTX 4080 | VKB MGC Pro Gunfighter Mk III + Thustmaster TWCS + VKB T-Rudder Mk4 | HP Reverb G2

FC3 | A-10C II | Ка-50 | P-51 | UH-1 | Ми-8 | F-86F | МиГ-21 | FW-190 | МиГ-15 | Л-39 | Bf 109 | M-2000C | F-5 | Spitfire | AJS-37 | AV-8B | F/A-18C | Як-52 | F-14 | F-16 | Ми-24 | AH-64

NTTR | Normandy | Gulf | Syria | Supercarrier |

however some targets are hidden in a fog/clouds in such a way that no safe attack is possible

Have to disagree with that Andrei. My fliers had the same mission and we found the targets (not easy by any means) and were able to prosecute from standoff ranges and then follow up with closer ordinance.

Hey Wildfire.

Are there more targets for the COOP version or is the target list the same in SP and MP?

Edited by redfish
stoopid spelllign mistaeks

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

AEF 161 Squadron CO ~~~ My YouTube Channel ~~~ "We struck down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering." The Shoveller ... Mystery Men

Ok well I dont think I'll put in a second tanker, maybe another solution... The wingman thing is a simple stupid fault on my part.

As far as targets, yes they are the same, shouldnt be easy to find all five when only three per mission spawn. The problem with creating a randomization with this patch you must use flags. And each number you add say I add one target to my list so now I have six; for each number the flag set needed to verify each unit and pick goes exponential. Look at my triggers in that mission and youll see what I mean, doing five got a little insane to keep track of. So no Im not adding any, not until we get a new random generator. Sorry.

Have to disagree with that Andrei. My fliers had the same mission and we found the targets (not easy by any means) and were able to prosecute from standoff ranges and then follow up with closer ordinance.

Yes, this depends how you approach it. My example was a group near WP4 (if memory serves me right) hidden by a thick layer of fog/clouds. Visibility was ~90 feet vertical and maybe 100 yards horizontal :) Found it by flying low in a hope to find something on the roads underneath the clouds by the LWR and tracers. That was already quite suicidal. Having created a mark, climbed and evaluated visibility (ummm, like nothing from above the clouds) I concluded that playing heroes would be over any insanity levels.

But, nevertheless, it's more like a plus for this mission. The way it's build you start to think double-time if you really want to engage that particular target or not.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Aorus B550 Pro | 32GB DDR4-3600 | RTX 4080 | VKB MGC Pro Gunfighter Mk III + Thustmaster TWCS + VKB T-Rudder Mk4 | HP Reverb G2

FC3 | A-10C II | Ка-50 | P-51 | UH-1 | Ми-8 | F-86F | МиГ-21 | FW-190 | МиГ-15 | Л-39 | Bf 109 | M-2000C | F-5 | Spitfire | AJS-37 | AV-8B | F/A-18C | Як-52 | F-14 | F-16 | Ми-24 | AH-64

NTTR | Normandy | Gulf | Syria | Supercarrier |

had a quick blast of this mission on a mp server tonight, ( cant remember the hosts name but nice meeting u bud) love the idea of taking off in terrible weather and onto AAR.

I managed to touch the boom a few times lol and then my mrs decided to not feel well and throw up all over the bathroom so my mission was cut short. agghhhhh... she didnt take my "trust you to throw up when im about to refuel" comment to well :D

I seen my mission on a server this morning and it cracked me up, I think they set the weather as clear... totally defeats the purpose. Im not judging I know its crazy with those conditions, just thought it was funny that someone would just clear it.

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished it. 3.5 hours, ouchh, hehe. Feel very realistic and I liked it a lot. Even managed to refuel :-)

I have to agree with Andrei that prosecuting targets in deep fog would be suicidal. I just don't see real pilots doing that, but what do I know :-)

Landing back at Vaziani was really tough. Zero visibility. Had to go around five times and on the sixth I touched down and crashed the plane. Hit something but have no idea what it was :-)

Yes, and my wingman refused to leave his hangar...

Ive flown my mission many times, and the target area is without fog. It shouldnt be a problem. Yeah the wingman thing, is just a simple editor thing, go into the editor and click your flight and make sure uncontrolled is not clicked, click it and unclick it to switch if off again. Check the skill and set it to whatever level you want so long as its not client or player. I'll put out a new one with the fixes sometimes Im just really busy with another project. Thanks for playing.

• 4 weeks later...

Just tried it. Found my winggie got his wingtip hung up trying to round the first corner out of the hanger. This ended his play. Noticed that the map actually shows the hanger protruding over the taxiway. Can the hanger be set back a bit with the editor? Or should I just try again and see if he gets by?

Asus P8P67Pro, Intel i7, 8gb DDR3, OCZ Vertex3, 120gb SSD, GForce GTX 560, Cooler Master GX850, Win 7, Logi X 3D Pro.

Quick note: My bad. I didn't give the winggie "stuck" at the corner enough time to move before cancelling the mission. He does move. :doh:

Asus P8P67Pro, Intel i7, 8gb DDR3, OCZ Vertex3, 120gb SSD, GForce GTX 560, Cooler Master GX850, Win 7, Logi X 3D Pro.

• 1 month later...

Basically the mission is tough and your best keeping your eyes out the window. Its just easier and faster, as it is in real life.

Some of the variables that make this apparent-

foul weather

tight valleys

lack of engine power in cold weather

possible enemy small arms fire

So yeah you could keep your head in the tgp, but you might have trouble finding anything. And some of the enemy units dont even show up til much later so the possibility of staring at the TGP for three hours without a hit is likely, and could be amazingly frustrating.

• 11 months later...

The only thing wrong with this mission is the crazy leadout. Waaay too much stuff, too heavy, too much drag.

I can understand though why the airfield is neutral - so you HAVE to get to the tanker. BTW the tanker is way to fast... You can barely get to it and keeping up with it to refuel pretty much costs 100% throttle. Please make it so it flies at let's say 160-180 air speed. Not ground speed.

Another issue about the tanker - it happened to me once that my mates and I wanted to refuel mid-mission and the mission failed because we left the AO... But all we wanted was to air refuel?

Still a great mission. :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

System specs:

2500k @ 4.6 GHz

8GB RAM

HD7950 OC'd

Win7 x64

Posting tracks to make your DCS better - attention bump incoming!