MTFDarkEagle's "pit"

MTFDarkEagle

• 11 months later...
  • ED Team

Nice one tintin, looks great.

As you know I have a Tornado landing gear handle, very satisfying to feel it clunk into place :)

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Very nice Lukas and Bignewy :thumbup: I seem to recall seen those on Ebay.co.uk once in a while not too expensive. Do you need to pull it out to hange gear position?

Cheers

Hans

Yes. The grey piece pulls out for the safety. To move into the UP position, there is no safety anymore. It was/is a magnetic actuated lock. When the plane took off, the magnet would engage and the lever would be free to move in the up position. To move to the down position, the grey piece must be pulled out to actuate.

• ED Team

my one is a different type, from an earlier tornado version no doubt. :)

Edited by BIGNEWY

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• 8 months later...

Hah couldn't resist so purchased one similar to yours BIGNEWY :-) The Downlock solenoid will operate down to 12VDC so will have to figure out if the state is exported for the A-10. If not then perhaps I can figure out a way to set up DCS-BIOS so that the coil will be energized if A/C is 20ff AGL.

Also the 28VDC bulbs were easily changed to some 5VDC midget I had laying around (http://www.mouser.dk/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=7335virtualkey56040000virtualkey560-7335)

Cheers

Hans

• Like 1

• ED Team
Hah couldn't resist so purchased one similar to yours BIGNEWY :-) The Downlock solenoid will operate down to 12VDC so will have to figure out if the state is exported for the A-10. If not then perhaps I can figure out a way to set up DCS-BIOS so that the coil will be energized if A/C is 20ff AGL.

Also the 28VDC bulbs were easily changed to some 5VDC midget I had laying around (http://www.mouser.dk/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=7335virtualkey56040000virtualkey560-7335)

Cheers

Hans

nice! let us know how you get on with it :)

• 1 year later...

Time to pull this out of the dungeon, yet again :music_whistling: :helpsmilie:

The front part of the cockpit I always wasn't completely happy with. It was a bit fragile, and if (for whatever reason) the pedals would need to be removed I would be in a world of hurt, because the -entire- thing would need to be disassembled.

Since the end of September I've been in Singapore for work, and in my spare-time that gives me a nice opportunity to design an upgrade.

A partial resulting project is designing/implementing a UFC. I got the inspiration from Brun's Hornet UFC (https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=218874). Upon investigating I discovered that this UFC was going to be far too large for my cockpit, so I desided to design my own. Another added feature to my cockpit feature is a replaceable top component. So if I want to change the UFC to something else (like and A-10C UFC, or something completely different) I can do so quite easily.

This is what I've come up with so far.

picture.php?albumid=1612&pictureid=10292

The front panel is blanc now, yet to design what cutouts/shapes are required in this...

picture.php?albumid=1612&pictureid=10293

The cockpit comes apart in three mayor components: footwell/base, top assembly and rudder assembly.

The rudder pedal assembly is designed to fit the Thrustmaster TPR system (drool), but obviously can still fit my current Saitek pedals.

The footwell/base assembly is ready to be fitted with a couple of standard PC fans to get some airflow through.

picture.php?albumid=1612&pictureid=10294

Still on my to-do list for this assembly:

- Design front panel

- Think of a way to cover the curved outside edges in the top assembly (if anyone has any ideas, let me know :P )

- Plenty of UFC stuff

- Some optimization stuff

Apart from this I'm thinking of making my own ejection seat, and possibly designing an upgrade to the sides of my cockpit, also in sight of easier maintenance and stuff...

Edited by MTFDarkEagle

Im building a sort of mini F-18 pit and would love to see some more pictures of that UFC. Maybe even the design file.

th_NemaxsF-18Panel.jpg

Work in progress

Edited by Nemax

ASUS ROG Zephyrus S GX502GW

(Core i7-9750H, RTX 2070, 32 GB ram)

TM Warthog - TM T-Flight Pedals - TrackIr 5 - Cougar MFD

Modules

F-86F - T.1A - A-10C - M-2000C - UH-1 - F-5 - P-51 - SA342 - Spitfire - AJS-37 - AV-8B - F/A-18C - L-39 - MiG-21 - MiG-15 - KA-50

FC3 - CA - NTTR - Normandy - WWII AP - LotATC - TacView

Below's a close-up of the UFC

It's not finished yet, still ironing out the details.

Also yet to implement a HAT-switch (or 4-/8-way switch) in the blanc are between the right encoder and rocker switch.

Once finished I'll share the STEP file of the front plate here.

picture.php?albumid=1612&pictureid=10299

• 2 months later...

MTFDarkEgle have you done anymore work on your homepit?

ASUS ROG Zephyrus S GX502GW

(Core i7-9750H, RTX 2070, 32 GB ram)

TM Warthog - TM T-Flight Pedals - TrackIr 5 - Cougar MFD

Modules

F-86F - T.1A - A-10C - M-2000C - UH-1 - F-5 - P-51 - SA342 - Spitfire - AJS-37 - AV-8B - F/A-18C - L-39 - MiG-21 - MiG-15 - KA-50

FC3 - CA - NTTR - Normandy - WWII AP - LotATC - TacView

Hi Nemax!

No I've not made any mayor progress since that last post.

This part of the cockpit's design is pretty much complete apart from some final cutouts for stuff and other final details. After that I can create the DWG files to send off to the wood cutters.

But that's not going to happen really soon, as I'm on the other end of the planet at the moment, for work :)

I'll be coming back home end of March, so any progress is going to be after that.

Also on my list is a GFX card upgrade. Currently running a GTX970 and it's struggling, so I'm going to get an upgrade for that at some point.

But I also want to do lots of trackdays on my motorbike... And I need a new washing machine... So... Yea... :D

Edited by MTFDarkEagle

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

Time to drag this out of the depths that is the Home Cockpits dungeon... 😛

Some updates!

PC has received an update.

GFX card has been swapped from a GTX970 to an RTX2070 little over a year ago.

Also, a few weeks ago I upgraded the MB/CPU/RAM to a X570/i7-11700K/32gb set and am seeing a nice increase in performance.

Now the more interesting part...

A good while ago I was working on a new design for the cockpit itself. Then I had the idea to work with 44x44 wooden beams.

But I've had the wonderful idea to introduce aluminium extrusion profiles to this design. This allows a higher part accuraccy and nice versatility.

y4qshkB.png

UHxVwrn.png

Edited by MTFDarkEagle

12 hours ago, agrasyuk said:

Looking good Lukas. And great to see you back working the pit again.  

Thanks dude!

Yea I'm quite happy with the new design so far.

Started this redesign a few years ago when I was living in Singapore for work and had to find something to do in the evenings 😛

Mostly triggered by the fact that the current center section is not very sturdy, and if the rudder pedals need to be removed (for whatever reason) I'm screwed because then the entire section will have to be disassembled...

So the new design for the center section will consist of three reasonably easily disassembleable sections.

In terms of size and ergonomics, my current pit is already nearly perfect for me. It's aimed to be universal (i.e., tubeliners, combat aircraft, helo's, ...) and comfortable.

The only thing not universal are the Warthog panels. The AHCP-XL is still serving me very well!! Still very grateful for that one dude! Love it. (and yes, the backlighting still works 😛 )

This new pit has (only) a few tweaks in terms of sizing. The most "important" one is the height of the footwell.

The current cockpit it's a little too low, so I can rub my shins on the edge sometimes.

Anyhooo...

Back to designing 🙂