DCS World 2.0 and New Maps Discussion Thread

Wags

First post updated with the following to avoid confusion:

What is the Image Generator (IG) people keep mentioning?

An Image Generator (IG) is another way of describing what EDGE is.

Aw man!!! I thought we were going to, like, you know, be able to, like, make something with it. You know, like those dudes in Weird Science.

:lol::lol:

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BF3 has better AI than DCS. I think we can agree with that. Maybe if that is what concerns you then stick to those "sims". I like the flight sim aspect more than a realistic AI. I certainly don't play it for the AI.

Realistic weapons? DCS does model bulled drop, wind, and many other ballistics. I'm not really sure what you mean by bugs and collision detection models. I personally have never experienced that in the year and a half I've played A-10C in anything from guns to mavericks to sidewinders to JDAMs to laser guided bombs to Mk-82s. Only times I've missed is due to my own mistakes.

I'm personally getting tired of people comparing this sim to ARMA. Might as well compare Ford to Ferrari.

I guess its difficult to explain my againsts in the sim to "buttonpickers" no offense, and i dont want to dwelve much more on this subject. Fact is that ED focus more on adding stuff than getting things real stable first. I just want DCS to develop into a real good combatsim, not only a studysim where you sit and do rampstarts all day because its fun to push buttons and your studying so damn much. I would like it to be a modern Falcon too in a way the way Falcon is today. That is achivable. Especially a solid muliplayer part, BEFORE they add more stuff. The engine needs to be able to cope with lots of units in a mission in a acceptable way. DCS is not a flightsim, FSX is a flightsim. DCS is a combat flightsim. Simple as that really. If the platform is rock stable then ED will surf on good income when they add new stuff cause ppl know the system works. I would have liked to buy more modules later if the systembase contained alot less bugs. Its not strange there are alot of interconnecting bugs when they dont fix existing ones before they add even more stuff. Dont ask me to refer to any spesific, cause there are threads all over to show that. If i buy the way its now i guess it will be on sale, and thats ED's own fault. Btw. so you've flown for a year or more and haven't seen a problem thats great! Strange its so many complaints about things out of order from others then and btw. i've been following ED since more or less day one so i know whats changed over the years. Also dont worry i play other "sims" much more than i do DCS. Here i have used most time to tweak which was needed to try and get some smooth gameplay though now i have gotten better hardware and things look more promising.

Edited by xracer

System spec:

Intel Core i7 920@4.2Ghz (stable, 65degC fully loaded), EVGA GTX-780, Asus P6T Deluxe V2 v.5.04 BIOS, Saitek X52, 1TB/500GB WD HD for system/storage. Kingston SSD 120 GB for DCS, 250GB Samsung 840 SSD for the rest. 16GB Kingston KHX1600C9D3 Memory, 9 GB Pagefile, EK HFX-240 Watercooling, Corsair HX-1000 PSU. HAF-932 Tower, TrackIR-5, Win64Ult

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Oh, nice, comparing apples and oranges again?

Lovely.

What you need is:

937709-apples_aint_oranges_by_tootieofruty.jpg

I'll come back to this discussion, when I see an ArmA map with 100,000 square-miles or more. So far, we only have Altis with 270 km²...

Gigabyte GA-Z87-UD3H | i7 4470k @ 4.5 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 @ 2.133 Ghz | GTX 1080 | LG 55" @ 4K | Cougar 1000 W | Creative X-Fi Ti | TIR5 | CH HOTAS (with BU0836X-12 Bit) + Crosswind Pedals | Win10 64 HP | X-Keys Pro 20 & Pro 54 | 2x TM MFD

I guess its difficult to explain my againsts in the sim to "buttonpickers" no offense, and i dont want to dwelve much more on this subject. Fact is that ED focus more on adding stuff than getting things real stable first. I just want DCS to develop into a real good combatsim, not only a studysim where you sit and do rampstarts all day because its fun to push buttons and your studying so damn much. I would like it to be a modern Falcon too in a way the way Falcon is today. That is achivable. Especially a solid muliplayer part, BEFORE they add more stuff. The engine needs to be able to cope with lots of units in a mission in a acceptable way. DCS is not a flightsim, FSX is a flightsim. DCS is a combat flightsim. Simple as that really. If the platform is rock stable then ED will surf on good income when they add new stuff cause ppl know the system works. I would have liked to buy more modules later if the systembase contained alot less bugs. Its not strange there are alot of interconnecting bugs when they dont fix existing ones before they add even more stuff. Dont ask me to refer to any spesific, cause there are threads all over to show that. If i buy the way its now i guess it will be on sale, and thats ED's own fault. Btw. so you've flown for a year or more and haven't seen a problem thats great! Strange its so many complaints about things out of order from others then and btw. i've been following ED since more or less day one so i know whats changed over the years. Also dont worry i play other "sims" much more than i do DCS. Here i have used most time to tweak which was needed to try and get some smooth gameplay though now i have gotten better hardware and things look more promising.[/Quote]Like I said. Leave if you don't like it. I don't want a BF3 or ARMA clone. I want a good flight combat sim and that's exactly what ED has provided. I like the ramp starts. It's more incentive to play smart and not suicide into S-300s all day, and adds to realism. Something like you should enjoy since you've played ED's games for so long. Please, go through and post a track where you've missed because the game is at fault, or find a thread. Provide the proof with your claims. I can post tracks all day long with perfect (a little too perfect. Real weapons have a WAY higher miss rate than in DCS), but that would get boring pretty fast. Anyways, you contradicted yourself more times than I'd like to count in that post.

The IG they're adding should be able to cope with more units. I'm happy for the changes coming and I don't really get what all the drama is about. ED states that they're improving the game and all the ARMA players come out and say that DCS should be ARMA. In my experience, ARMA is a teamwork simulator more than a soldier sim. Please stop saying DCS needs to be ARMA. ARMA is it's own thing. Let DCS be it's own thing too. With the hundreds of games out it feels only a few are unique from each other

Here's a few images for humor.

attachment.php?attachmentid=83837&d=1371596820

attachment.php?attachmentid=83838&d=1371596820

attachment.php?attachmentid=83839&d=1371596820

1693202653_bulletfighter.png.e73e2492a4d5d1566f0d5a9c6df7303f.png

223846776_helmetface.png.c90ebcd81d07386e60309e87d325ed52.png

1328412298_gunshoot.png.08d24ca8a99e1831ee435b0bd8761836.png

Edited by kk0425

Like I said. Leave if you don't like it. I don't want a BF3 or ARMA clone. I want a good flight combat sim and that's exactly what ED has provided. I like the ramp starts. It's more incentive to play smart and not suicide into S-300s all day, and adds to realism. Something like you should enjoy since you've played ED's games for so long. Please, go through and post a track where you've missed because the game is at fault, or find a thread. Provide the proof with your claims. I can post tracks all day long with perfect (a little too perfect. Real weapons have a WAY higher miss rate than in DCS), but that would get boring pretty fast. Anyways, you contradicted yourself more times than I'd like to count in that post.

The IG they're adding should be able to cope with more units. I'm happy for the changes coming and I don't really get what all the drama is about. ED states that they're improving the game and all the ARMA players come out and say that DCS should be ARMA. In my experience, ARMA is a teamwork simulator more than a soldier sim. Please stop saying DCS needs to be ARMA. ARMA is it's own thing. Let DCS be it's own thing too. With the hundreds of games out it feels only a few are unique from each other

Here's a few images for humor.

Thanks for the humor pics! I thought i didn't mention ARMA once in my reply though. This isnt about comparing those sims in that sense. I agree very much in what you say and we need both of those sims for variety Also the ED guys are superb developers, and i guess they need to get fast moving with new stuff since they are a relative small company, Maybe i make a too much out of it out of frustration, but i guess we'll just have to see how efficient the sim will be when EDGE arrives and how much have been fixed of old problems by then. Many of the posts about bugs aren't brand new and some bugs are fixed, maybe i've been unlucky in my missions, i dont know. As i mentioned i have gotten better hardware and i do think that the sim is fragile to processing power not only fps wise so i will redo a campaign and see how it turns out. Until then happy flying.

System spec:

Intel Core i7 920@4.2Ghz (stable, 65degC fully loaded), EVGA GTX-780, Asus P6T Deluxe V2 v.5.04 BIOS, Saitek X52, 1TB/500GB WD HD for system/storage. Kingston SSD 120 GB for DCS, 250GB Samsung 840 SSD for the rest. 16GB Kingston KHX1600C9D3 Memory, 9 GB Pagefile, EK HFX-240 Watercooling, Corsair HX-1000 PSU. HAF-932 Tower, TrackIR-5, Win64Ult

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

mmaruda..i'm speechless...which i'm usually not, but this was a superb post, very well written! Apart from bugs which hamper the game, i 100% agree!

System spec:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

@mmaruda.

Yep. DCS could and NEEDS to learn a lot from Falcon. Dynamic Campaign Engine is EXACTLY what DCS needs with far more realism on the ATC / SA side. Shouldn't be that hard to copy from a 15 year old engine. However, it also needs what Arma has, and it should do that just like the planes, with REALISTIC modules. That is what sets us apart from Arma in the first place. As for power, the hardest game to run on my computer in terms of needing raw power is Arma, and I run it on a $500 laptop.

So when they bring out the REAL DCS: WORLD, I'll go buy a $2000 desktop and it should be plenty to run ANYTHING.

"Isn't this fun!?" - Inglorious Bastards

"I rode a tank, held a general's rank / When the Blitzkrieg raged, and the bodies stank!" - Stones.

Yeah, I can remember playing Falcon 4 right after it came out. It was so immersive. I'm flying along with my 2 wingies, and one calls out "Strangers". A flight of B-52's fly past way out front heading east of me. And I think "I wonder where they're off too?" About 5 minutes later, I see massive flashes from 2000 pounders going off in the distance, right about where they would be. Talk about a hot war! Now THATS a dynamic campaign. If a 15 year old engine can do it, I don't see why DCS can't. Something to add.

"I rode a tank, held a general's rank / When the Blitzkrieg raged, and the bodies stank!" - Stones.

BF3 has better AI than DCS. I think we can agree with that.

Yep, it is simply the worst AI I have ever seen.

I like how someone said the infantry soldiers were dancing around in circles like ring around the rosie. :doh::lol:

But hey, at least they moved somewhat. Most infantry and vehicles I see just sit there like lame ducks.

Its bad, bad, bad.

I agree that DCS should remain it's own thing. It's not that...

You actually opened my eyes a little with this post and made me realise that, indeed, I would rather fly the A-10C in a better engine, and new maps, than have the F-18C in DCS Worlds current state. I'm REALLY looking forward to the F-18C, but it can wait if it means a much better experience in my opinion.

Good post!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yeah, I can remember playing Falcon 4 right after it came out. It was so immersive. I'm flying along with my 2 wingies, and one calls out "Strangers". A flight of B-52's fly past way out front heading east of me. And I think "I wonder where they're off too?" About 5 minutes later, I see massive flashes from 2000 pounders going off in the distance, right about where they would be. Talk about a hot war! Now THATS a dynamic campaign. If a 15 year old engine can do it, I don't see why DCS can't. Something to add.

Careful with the nostalgia there. Remember the bugfest? :)

You can do a lot of cool stuff if the survival of your company is not considered a requirement. :P

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

WE WANT EDGE!!!!!!

Another update without mentioning EDGE. (

I feel like we have been waiting for years! I no longer have any finger nails as I wait here chewing them waiting for the EDGE update.

WE WANT EDGE! WE NEED EDGE!!!! MUST...........HAVE.............EDGE!!!!!!! : D

Just a screenshot update to hold us over?

Edited by Mike Busutil

New Engine equals New game. Don't expect it for free when it comes out. They might do it but would be in their rights to charge.

Asus Sabertooth P67 Motherboard 2600k CPU, 16 gig DDR3, 1600. Samsung 830, 256 gig hard drive,

GTX780 Video Card, Warthog Hotas, Razer Mamba mouse. Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals. Trackir 5, Verizon FIOS 25Meg Up/Down

• ED Team
Another update without mentioning EDGE. (

I feel like we have been waiting for years! I no longer have any finger nails as I wait here chewing them waiting for the EDGE update.

WE WANT EDGE! WE NEED EDGE!!!! MUST...........HAVE.............EDGE!!!!!!! : D

Just an screenshot update to hold us over?

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=108306

Probably in the multitude of pages in this thread since the video is so old...

But I would love to see weather like this in DCS!

And yes there is a thread... I'm sorry, but this tech demo is amazing!

My Specs

Asus Maximus Hero IX Z270

i7 7700k @ 4.7GHz

32GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3700MHz DDR4

EVGA RTX 2080Ti

Samsung 960 Evo 1TB M.2 NVME SSD

EVGA SuperNOVA 1200 P2

Acer XB270HU 144Hz @ 1440p (IPS)

Valve Index

OOOOhhh, I wish I had the Alpha of a Hornet!

I agree that DCS should remain it's own thing. [Further words of wisdom ...] I'd rather have some unpredictable fun in an immersive environment with the good old A-10C over say Iraq or Syria, rather than spend a month studying and F-18 or whatever plane only to get discouraged by artificial missions and bad FPS.

I am poking my head out of sim hibernation just to say that this is a great post and I totally agree. The points you made are exactly why I lost interrest in sims a couple of month ago.

Flying a fancy plane is nice but when your surroundings feel sterile it gets boring. At the moment even the explosion of 3rd party planes doesn't really tickle my fancy.

Anyways, the news about the graphics improvements sound great!

• 2 weeks later...

Why Nevada and not the Middle East?

May be a silly question question, but why is the next map Nevada and not something like the Middle East? I mean, what are the chances of a war breaking out in the Nevada desert? This is already going to be a sand map, so wouldn't it have been better to do something around the Middle East and add to the realism?

The other thing I wanted to ask is why have we been stuck with one map for so long? isn't it possible to mod maps like they do in FSX or something? I just want to see a different playing area because I am not keen on the one we have now. To me it looks bland and the building submerged into the ground and hills looks awful. I really like the game for it's avionics but surly we should have a better landscape with today's technology.

Blame Luckybob. :)

Nevada started off as a mod project and it was eventually taken over by ED. While I generally agree that it would be great to have a Middle Eastern theatre, its nice for there to be a US map for training exercise/missions. It makes a little more sense to teach the A-10C + other US aircraft in Nevada than it is in Georgia. Plus red flag takes place at Nellis, which is kinda cool.

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects:  Grayflag ServerScripting Wiki

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread)

SLMOD, Wiki wishlist, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum