DCS World 2.0 and New Maps Discussion Thread

Wags

Hello,

Just one little question, with Edge we must change of PC or not ?

With Edge we loose our FPS than our DCS today ?

Good question...

Skull.

If you are using a low end system edge won't be much of a benefit. EDGE is going to vastly improve on the mistakes that were made with the current engine. If anything the engine will be better then the current version. However to more directly answer your question the requirements will change so a Windows 7 or Windows 8 system will be needed. Your also going to want to have a DX 11 video card. Not sure if DX 11 will be a system requirement but if it's DX11 then the engine DCS/ED are proposing will only be DX9/11. Upgrades might be required for move up. To get the most out of it upgrading would be a good idea. Can't really say for sure until we have it on your systems.

Edited by LexiconG2

Dell XPS 8500 Modified

700 Watt PSU

Windows 8 Pro MCE

Intel I7 3770 3.8 GHZ TR (stock)

16GB DDR 3 PC12800

Gigabyte 760 OC 2.0GB

2x 2TB HD

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And you know all this how?!?! You are reaching, nothing that has been said by official ED channels points to anything you posted above.

Soon is relative, for me soon could be a month, for someone else days or weeks.

HEHE don't assume I am reaching but you are right "soon" for a release has been years and years in the making... Key word from DCS sources is "integrate into DCS" by the way.

Edited by LexiconG2

Dell XPS 8500 Modified

700 Watt PSU

Windows 8 Pro MCE

Intel I7 3770 3.8 GHZ TR (stock)

16GB DDR 3 PC12800

Gigabyte 760 OC 2.0GB

2x 2TB HD

now i know why i've bought 2 GTX670. one of my rig will suddently miss its gpu ;)

Soon, is a word i learnt from CCP and ED.

Now it could be in 2014 or 2015. I don't really mind.

TASK / ROLES acronyms guide

Black Shark A.I. datalink guide illustrated (v1.2.4 Available on Wiki)

DCS World Codex 1.1 : full units list (Speed/Weapons/Armor thickness/Threat zone/Weapon damage...) (Oct 2013)

BlackShark 2 1.2.x Bug and glitches thread (v1.2.7)

HEHE don't assume I am reaching but you are right "soon" for a release has been years and years in the making... Key word from DCS sources is "integrate into DCS" by the way.

Well unless you're a secret paid ED employee, until we hear from Wags or any other known ED employee yes you are just assuming.

So as far as I know and this is not confirmed but version 2.7 can be the stage before edge or will be the EDGE version or we won't see a major update until EDGE is built into a patch. However it's very close and we have a really good chance of getting our hands on it before the end of next month.

FYI EDGE is going to be sort of unusual in that with will integrate into DCS: world. Install/Clean.... etc this means that it will fixes and patches and all work and progress can be kept and maintained as far as fixes for mods. I am excited too very excited.

And your sources are what again? I missed that part. :glare:

Edited by Blaze

i7 7700K | 32GB RAM | GTX 1080Ti | Rift CV1 | TM Warthog | Win 10

"There will always be people with a false sense of entitlement.

You can want it, you can ask for it, but you don't automatically deserve it. "

Well unless you're a secret paid ED employee, until we hear from Wags or any other known ED employee yes you are just assuming.

Well for me, and this is not intended to trump your statement Paulrkii, I am clinging to this post...

19 July 2013 - DCS News Update

5- New images of the Nevada map. This past week we started rebuilding the Nevada map with the new map tools, but it is still early and very rough... a lot of tuning and tweaking to still be done. Thankfully, we are nearing the end of this long journey and it is on track to be released later this year (seriously). I'm sure many of you have lots of questions about the map and the technology behind it, but I'm afraid I have no answers for you at this time. I have no direct contact with the map team and no access to the map build. However, as the map nears release, I'm sure I will have more information to pass along.

But as always... :)

EVERYTHING IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE

Intel i5-9600K @ 3.7GHz

Gigabyte Z370XP SLI Mobo

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4

GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 8GB 256-Bit GDDR6(Assume the latest driver version)

Thermaltake Water 3.0 Certified Liquid Cooling System

Windows 10 Professional

Oculus Rift-S /TrackIR 5 in case VR dies

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog w/ Thrustmaster T-Flight Rudder Pedals

Now that is more like it. Wonderful clouds. Finally...sky looks awesome. Can't wait to see it in engine with lighting. Imagine god rays, proper HDR support and bloom and I think that can usher in DCS WORLD 2.0.

:D

WHISPR | Intel I7 5930K | Nvidia GTX980 4GB GDDR5 | 16GB DDR4 | Intel 730 series 512GB SSD | Thrustmaster WARTHOG | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR4 pro |

|A-10C|BS2 |CA|P-51 MUSTANG|UH-1H HUEY|MI-8 MTV2 |FC3|F5E|M2000C|AJS-37|FW190|BF 109K|Mig21|A-10:SSC,EWC|L-39|NEVADA|

Wow, this is very exciting. Still grinning with excitement.

Is there any further information on multi-monitor support. I assume the process might be the same.

At the moment stuck with SoftTH for landscape, portrait, landscape monitor orientation with bezel compensation.

wonder if ED could implement something similar for multi-monitor use?

Current Flight Rig

i7 4960X @ 4.6Ghz

ASUS Rampage IV Formula

G.SKILL TridentX 2400Mhz 32GB DDR3

Crucial 1TB MX300 SSD

MSI Gaming X 1080Ti

Samsung 55" JS8000 SUHD 4K

Windows 10 x64

TrackIR 5, Warthog HOTAS

Saitek Pro Flight Combat Pedals

Custom Akers-Barnes, MkI eyeball.

EDGE is going to vastly improve on the mistakes that were made with the current engine.

What Mistakes?, the Engine has Aged, From LockOn 1.0 -> DCSW 1.2.6+, and is Now Approaching 10 Years old. (assuming it didn't originally Pre-Date DirectX 9.0)

Like everything else in the PC Industry, eventually the content Matures to a point where the engine is no longer able to efficiently do it's job.

During this evolution:

Many ground layers alone were added to the terrain,

3D External Models had significant increases in Level of Detail and Triangle Counts,

Then Ground Objects Started getting Overhauled for Combined Arms.

More Shaders were integrated / More effects,

6 DoF 3D Cockpits all started getting upgraded with increases in Level Of Detail and triangles,

Maturing Content is not a Mistake.

Edited by SkateZilla

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Dx 11.1 (Windows 8 ) supports WDDM 1.2 for increased performance, features improved integration of Direct2D, Direct3D, and DirectCompute, and includes DirectXMath, XAudio2, and XInput libraries from the XNA framework. It also features stereoscopic 3D support for gaming and video.

(Source Wikipedia)

So, It increases the FPS (if the game take advantage of this feature in the code) and add native stereoscopic support.

EDIT: I ticked on that one: "7- Option to project map on globe surface."

Does that mean our map will be curved instead of the actual planar map?

Edited by Cedaway

DCS Wish: Turbulences affecting surrounding aircraft...

[sIGPIC] [/sIGPIC]

Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3P - Intel Core i5 6600K - 16Gb RAM DDR4-2133 - Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 G1 Gaming - 8 Go - 2 x SSD Crucial MX300 - 750 Go RAID0 - Screens: HP OMEN 32'' 2560x1440 + Oculus Rift CV1 - Win 10 - 64bits - TM WARTHOG #889 - Saitek Pro Rudder.

I want to bump my question again...

1- DirectX 11 / DirectX 11 Windows 8 based.

Does that mean there are features that can only be taken advantage of while running Windows 8 vs. Windows 7?

Imho that slash "/" stands for "or"...

I would say "/" stands for "and".

It would be compatible with Dx 11.0, 11.1 and with Dx 11_1 features, retro compatible with previous states of features.

So, if you have a AMD Radeon HD 5000/6000/7000 series; Nvidia GeForce GTX 400/500/600/700 series; Intel HD Graphics 4000/2500 (Ivy Bridge) GPU, AND Windows 7 or 8, you'll benefit Dx 11_0 feature level.

But if you have AMD HD 7000/8000 series, Intel HD Graphics 5000 (Haswell) GPU, AND Windows 8, you'll benefit Dx 11_1 features.

Basically, the sim will run on any rig with at least Windows 7, AMD Radeon HD 5000 / Nvidia GeForce GTX 400 / Intel HD Graphics 4000/2500 (Ivy Bridge) GPU.

(Source)

DCS Wish: Turbulences affecting surrounding aircraft...

[sIGPIC] [/sIGPIC]

Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3P - Intel Core i5 6600K - 16Gb RAM DDR4-2133 - Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 G1 Gaming - 8 Go - 2 x SSD Crucial MX300 - 750 Go RAID0 - Screens: HP OMEN 32'' 2560x1440 + Oculus Rift CV1 - Win 10 - 64bits - TM WARTHOG #889 - Saitek Pro Rudder.

Detecting collisions (tree or otherwise) is (to the best of my knowledge) not a function of the graphic engine.

Personally - purely rom the logic of the language - I would take from the fact that the quote is "7- Option to project map on globe surface" not "Map projected on global surface" that the option is there, but not currently implemented in whatever map(s) E.D. might chose to release first.

Cheers.

IIRC luthier said that tree collisions are dependent from the map.

Houses do have collision, so imagine I build a house model that looks like a tree and I fill the whole frikkin' map with it.

Tree collision: done.

That's also possible with the current engine btw.

The problem with that: FPS. That will be a stutterfest.

But maybe I can imagine another way to create tree collision, at least for whole forests, not for single trees: Imagine a polygon model that just spans over the whole forest, at the height of the tree tops. It is invisible but you can collide with it. (basically collision models of aircraft work the same way in most engines. You don't collide with the plane geometry but with a separate, invisible and much less detailed model around it)

The only problem would be to make sure that debris falls through it. So maybe we can make it so thin that a plane gets destroyed but the debris clip through...

I wonder whether that was tried already....

Edited by Aginor

But maybe I can imagine another way to create tree collision, at least for whole forests, not for single trees: Imagine a polygon model that just spans over the whole forest, at the height of the tree tops. It is invisible but you can collide with it. (basically collision models of aircraft work the same way in most engines. You don't collide with the plane geometry but with a separate, invisible and much less detailed model around it)

The only problem would be to make sure that debris falls through it. So maybe we can make it so thin that a plane gets destroyed but the debris clip through...

I wonder whether that was tried already....

Someone mentioned another variation of this that has been used in flightsims before. Once you "collide" with the "forest" the game checks if you collided with an actual tree.

You could make it a 3 step procedure: 1) Is the plane flying below treetop level? If no, don't bother checking for trees, if yes: 2) Has the plane collided with any of the large "tree group" objects? If no, you are fine, if yes: 3) Has the plane collided with any of the individual tree objects? If yes, crash.

That shouldn't hurt performance at all unless you are flying close to the ground, since the altitude test or something similar has to be done already for ground collisions. But it could get bad quite quickly if you have 10 players flying at tree top height in MP. And a lot would depend on getting the "tree group" object size right.

Luthiers answer in the RPS Interview keeps up my hope for collidable trees.

RPS: Will hedge-hopping DCS WWII pilots need to worry about vegetation collisions?

Ilya: My long and painful experience with past projects forces me to add a warning here that all features are subject to change and so on and so forth. And, the answer is yes.

@JackDant:

While I agree with that method in general I disagree in one point you mentioned: performance hit. Even if the engine doesn't check them all the time the collision models for trees are there. So each tree (or tree group) is an entity with a collision model that has at least a cube geometry. 20,000 cubes that you have to load into your RAM when loading the map.

In comparison: Trees in most games are not even 3D models, they are basically this:

https://www.henandhammock.co.uk/ecomm/files/cardboard_tree_unique_christmas_gift.jpg

which is pretty easy to do. Even a simple 3D model has much more of an impact.

So basically what I would try is to only use forest geometries, except for single trees.

@Nirvi:

Right, but he also mentioned the potentially huge fps impact. I predict lots of people whining because of bad performance because they have a 2 years old computer, and the RRG guys saying: Deal with it, or buy a new computer, because you just can't explain to many people how complicated that topic can be.

So I'm really curious what compromise they will find.

Edited by Aginor