DCS World 2.0 and New Maps Discussion Thread

Wags

Regardless of any perceived shortcomings (including my own), it is a new place to fly and that is worth quite a bit in my book.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the size for me is very important. 150 km from the edge to center is a very short distance in some aircraft. that is hoping some airfields are on the edges of the map. this short coming might not be very noticeable in single player with good mission design. however, in multiplayer it will be very noticeable.

even more important to me is that the maps should be getting bigger not smaller.

i hate when people just bitch and moan with new features so dont get me wrong nevada is looking amazing and this seems to be the only real short coming i see. however, it is a very important one.

I have to Admit, I've never run out of fuel in a A-10C, even without Drop Tanks.

Same for kamov. Without tanks, i can cross the entire map at 300kph swapping engine. but it's several hours flying. not very interesting. ;)

TASK / ROLES acronyms guide

Black Shark A.I. datalink guide illustrated (v1.2.4 Available on Wiki)

DCS World Codex 1.1 : full units list (Speed/Weapons/Armor thickness/Threat zone/Weapon damage...) (Oct 2013)

BlackShark 2 1.2.x Bug and glitches thread (v1.2.7)

It's roughly the same size as the original theatre that came with BS1 so I'm not complaining too much. Would have liked to have seen something bigger but I'm more excited about the new engine and the possibly of 3rd party maps with the SDK.

Maybe they'll expand it to include the rest of the world for DCS F/A-18C ;)

Yes the initial size may disappoint some, but its finally a new region and better scenery! Also add the fact that after release there may be plans for expansion should offer more joy. This is only the beginning folks!

Intel i5-9600K @ 3.7GHz

Gigabyte Z370XP SLI Mobo

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4

GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 8GB 256-Bit GDDR6(Assume the latest driver version)

Thermaltake Water 3.0 Certified Liquid Cooling System

Windows 10 Professional

Oculus Rift-S /TrackIR 5 in case VR dies

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog w/ Thrustmaster T-Flight Rudder Pedals

It looks really good! Oh my, those clouds! :joystick:

But I have to say that I would really like to see "Caucasus reloaded" one day. All done with EDGE tools and expanded a little bit as well. Nevada is great (well.. any new map is), but Caucasus is IMHO really good theatre despite some hate I saw here. It has access to water, moutain ranges, big cities as well as villages, it's green in summer but snowy in winter and bases have that "in soviet russia" feel. It's also a great location for setting up some cold war/90's scenario. Maybe I'm not alone with this...

However, thanks for all the updates, Wags. :thumbup:

It looks really good! Oh my, those clouds! :joystick:

But I have to say that I would really like to see "Caucasus reloaded" one day. All done with EDGE tools and expanded a little bit as well. Nevada is great (well.. any new map is), but Caucasus is IMHO really good theatre despite some hate I saw here. It has access to water, moutain ranges, big cities as well as villages, it's green in summer but snowy in winter and bases have that "in soviet russia" feel. It's also a great location for setting up some cold war/90's scenario. Maybe I'm not alone with this...

However, thanks for all the updates, Wags. :thumbup:

Agreed!

The problem with Nevada IMO is that there is going to be a little bit difficult (God forgive me for my lack of imagination) to set up a story around a proper war scenario in the middle of the USA, and we cannot make Red Flags only for the next X years.

To be honest I could live with the current Caucasus map as it is, designwise.

We got used to it, and we can stick with it for war scenarios IF it is going to be driven by the new game engine, so multicore, multiGPU, no stutters, some additional eye candy effects like reflections etc.

TrailBlazer

• ED Team
Indeed.

I still think the current theatre is too damn small in the A-10C, let alone a fighter. But others do and can think differently, it's allowed people.

I understand people not being totally happy with the map size, but let me play fanboy for a second and ponder on the fact that making something so epic and huge for the first new EDGE map for DCS World might have not been the best plan of action.... that a smaller map made more sense till they got everything figured out and released....

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

At issue is if you make it larger and centered up on Vegas you begin encroaching on California. No way I'd want to open that can of worms required to populate those urban coastal areas with buildings. If the Nevada map did get larger in the future it would need to grow east

At issue is if you make it larger and centered up on Vegas you begin encroaching on California. No way I'd want to open that can of worms required to populate those urban coastal areas with buildings. If the Nevada map did get larger in the future it would need to grow east
But I can't properly reenact Star Trek IV with DCS: Huey until they make it to San Francisco. This is obviously an important reason to expand the map West. Flying through cities is more fun than desert.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yes, if anything guys Nevada will just get more developers into this. EDGE is used for commercials stuff also so really once this is out I believe that the DCS/ED guys are going to do less work and start making money off their hard work by licensing out projects with the new engine. You know DCS/ED cant carry this project forever so development and branching out is sort of necessary. EDGE is a good way to start doing this. It will set a bar part none to anything in flight simulation by far for home use that is.

Dell XPS 8500 Modified

700 Watt PSU

Windows 8 Pro MCE

Intel I7 3770 3.8 GHZ TR (stock)

16GB DDR 3 PC12800

Gigabyte 760 OC 2.0GB

2x 2TB HD

The problem with Nevada IMO is that there is going to be a little bit difficult (God forgive me for my lack of imagination) to set up a story around a proper war scenario in the middle of the USA, and we cannot make Red Flags only for the next X years.

:doh:

Imagine, it is a desert. Now, what scenarios can there possibly take place? Even if the daily news won't give you any inspiration, what for example about this as next obvious scenario:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Dawn

Now try to imagine, that there is some unrevealed secret map, which will come free with the EDGE release and Nevada will be its paid addon and sticks right next to this hypothetical free map :huh:

Flagrum, i couldn't help but notice that every time someone mentions Nevada is far from an ideal location you respond with a doh emotion.

Finally someone noticed! Thank you! :o)

Now if you want to pretend this is a Red Dawn scenario.. go for it.. but for many of us this is removed from why we enjoy DCS.. i.e realism.

This is the part I don't get. In my eyes, the reality aspect is moot. Any war scenario that is not based on real conflicts lacks realism. Also, or better especially, 99% of our long fought wars "US/NATO vs. RUS in Georgia"! Afaik there was never a single A10 flying over Georgia, never a F-15 took off at Batumi ...

But I do agree, that Nevada is not the ideal environment for us. Georgia, and other parts of the world even more so, has something that Nevada actually lacks a lot: diversity of the landscape.

As an important caveat.. I'm VERY happy to see a new map, I just feel the need to point out the obvious that some seem to miss. As a mud mover and a chopper whore..there will be lots of areas I'll enjoy away from Vegas.. and when i want to play in civi street.. I'll fly my choppers down the strip! :D

:thumbup:

I like the new map it's not good for a real war area just red flag. However I believe this map is just a demo so that others can start to make new maps. DCS/ED are going to start to pass off development and be the technology that drives it. They cant grow and keep the same business model. It's time to make real money and share in the creation process at the same time.

Dell XPS 8500 Modified

700 Watt PSU

Windows 8 Pro MCE

Intel I7 3770 3.8 GHZ TR (stock)

16GB DDR 3 PC12800

Gigabyte 760 OC 2.0GB

2x 2TB HD