DCS World 2.0 and New Maps Discussion Thread

Wags

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm still very interested in knowing whether any of the effects in DCS will be getting overhauls with EDGE. I just watched the Sabre & Dora trailers and apart from the water splashes looking different everything else looks the same. Would new smoke and smoke dynamics with reaction to objects in the world be a realistic expectation or is that a tad too 'next gen'?

I'm sure integration into DCS and optimization take priority over anything else currently, but I'm still curious as to what the capabilities are and what we can expect with EDGE.

RimOnBlue.png

F/A-18C - A-10C - FC3 - L-39C/ZA - Ka-50 - UH-1H - Mi-8MTV2 - F-86F - Spitfire - P-51D - P-47D - BF-109K - CA

I'm sure integration into DCS and optimization take priority over anything else currently, but I'm still curious as to what the capabilities are and what we can expect with EDGE.

I am quite curious about this myself. I had noticed the gun smoke in the new videos as well and was thinking the same thing.

I hope new effects will be coming with EDGE, but I get the feeling we'll just have to wait and see.

Intel i5-2500k @ 4.4GHz w/ H70 liquid cooler, ASRock PRO3-M Z68 Mobo, 32G 1600Mhz Mushkin RAM, EVGA GTX970 4GB , OCZ Agility 3 128g SSD, SanDisk 240g SSD, Win7 64-bit

--Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/livingfood --

The Sabre and Dora trailers has maked undo old Caucasus Map. some new improvements has no show on them.

I seriously doubt the terrain prevents new smoke effects.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

I seriously doubt the terrain prevents new smoke effects.

They get the engine integrated and running,

Then integrate new effects one by one (or in phases) and test to make sure they don't cause any bugs or anything,

Seriously, do you think they just build the EDGE Code, drop into DCS 100% and test it?

With ANY new Graphics Engine, things are enabled in phases.

It has nothing to do with Caucaus or Nevada, it has to do with what stage they are in testing and what effects have been enabled or replaced.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

It has nothing to do with Caucaus or Nevada,

Which is what I said.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

I know, i thought I hit multi-quote for 3 posts... but I guess I didnt.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

Anybody knows if the new EDGE engine will fix the issue of water modelled under the terrain?

I sure several people at ED do. ;)

The water under the terrain is how it's always been. From what I was told about it a long time ago: It's more efficient to just render a whole water plane under the terrain, instead of cutting out a ton of coastline for lakes, beaches etc, as that would use more processing power to render all those edges of water against the land.

i7 7700K | 32GB RAM | GTX 1080Ti | Rift CV1 | TM Warthog | Win 10

"There will always be people with a false sense of entitlement.

You can want it, you can ask for it, but you don't automatically deserve it. "

Yeah. Not sure why that's always been a complaint.

For a long time all in-land bodies of water relied on the Black Sea water layer for texture. In most spots this meant terrain and water level didn't match. It is quite disorienting when flying low over areas like that because the water appears to be several hundred meters below, but in reality it was only a few. Many Ka-50s in BS1 were lost due to this issue. It is still a problem on the two main rivers in Georgia connected to the Black Sea, but it is fixed everywhere else. Most of the complaints of the water layer stem from this problem.

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects:  Grayflag ServerScripting Wiki

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread)

SLMOD, Wiki wishlist, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum

Yeah. Not sure why that's always been a complaint.

Some GPU / Driver Clipping issues show the water through the terrain or something along those lines, I dunno.

Plus what Grimes said.

For a long time all in-land bodies of water relied on the Black Sea water layer for texture. In most spots this meant terrain and water level didn't match. It is quite disorienting when flying low over areas like that because the water appears to be several hundred meters below, but in reality it was only a few. Many Ka-50s in BS1 were lost due to this issue. It is still a problem on the two main rivers in Georgia connected to the Black Sea, but it is fixed everywhere else. Most of the complaints of the water layer stem from this problem.

Oh. That was just poorly defined "lakes." You may have noticed some of the lakes were fine, even above ground level, as many are now. :)

I just wish someone would have got to make a new maps with Saab C6 technology before Apple bought it. Making a new map would have been matter of days (even hours, as we would not needed so high resolution maps than maybe a 1m difference).

SAAB RAPID 3D MAPPING:

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

I doubt it'd be a matter of days... Think of all the objects that would have to be modeled and placed onto the terrain! And even if that C6 technology could include buildings in its mesh, how would the sim know what's a destructible building vs. indestructible terrain?

There's a lot more to map making than just terrain elevation data and textures.

Hey guys! Does anyone know if edge will be more nvidia/amd optimized? The current version seems poorly optimized for amd so I wonder if it is going to change...

I am more interested is it optimized to Intel or AMD. As both use different ways to calculate and using Intel way hits AMD with 30-70% depending calculations. So to compensate Intel optimation AMD needs to use raw calculation power.

As example Intel compiler has a cheats for SSE2 what makes code slower to be executed if it finds that CPU ID isn't genuine Intel ID.

But when/if we get number crunching from CPU to GPU so simulations are calculated on GPU, it will balance the playfield, as long no Nvidia optimization isn't used.

Well, in fact optimization of two different hardware components from two different manufacturers put in same MD will always cause some "total power" loss... some process and data flows will be slower because components must compile data between themselves, that is caused by different architectures and data arrangement. So that means the optimization to all CPUs and GPUs manufacturers for one game is really hard to do. Its really hard to say how much effectively two different components working together. PC assembling is damn science and many guys who complaining on bad game optimization and have CPU from AMD and GPU from Nvidia are trapped by their own decision. Remember you can only fully optimize any software with only one kind of hardware components, and in fact its more about hardware setup than about software optimization... And have on mind INTEL(+Nvidia) and AMD are rivals their products will never be fully compatible thats the intention...

I am more interested is it optimized to Intel or AMD. As both use different ways to calculate and using Intel way hits AMD with 30-70% depending calculations. So to compensate Intel optimation AMD needs to use raw calculation power.

As example Intel compiler has a cheats for SSE2 what makes code slower to be executed if it finds that CPU ID isn't genuine Intel ID.

But when/if we get number crunching from CPU to GPU so simulations are calculated on GPU, it will balance the playfield, as long no Nvidia optimization isn't used.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

-My DCS screenshots-

Mission and campaign building

Quick question and I know it will be informed guesses and assumptions but there are those that know a darned sight more than most in this forum.

I want to learn how to put missions and campaigns together and now that I have the time that shouldn't be a problem. Q is, is it worth learning with the current mission/campaign building tools or will DCS World 2.0 and Edge mean that there is a new mission/campaign building engine coming!

Should I wait?

I doubt it'd be a matter of days... Think of all the objects that would have to be modeled and placed onto the terrain! And even if that C6 technology could include buildings in its mesh, how would the sim know what's a destructible building vs. indestructible terrain?

There's a lot more to map making than just terrain elevation data and textures.

That's the magic as it does it automatically. Unless you hit a natural formation what is like a building, when it gets mapped as building too. The beauty of whole system is to map large areas quickly and build strategical and tactical map for troops use in almost real time. (as stated, 5x flight time). At few hundred meters altitude the accuracy is astounding but fly over 2nd and accuracy is still enough for detect buildings, roads and individual trees but speed to map a 100x100km area is almost few hours only.

And after that you can start checking buildings or manipulate the mesh like start flattening it to make it much simpler to render.

Quick question and I know it will be informed guesses and assumptions but there are those that know a darned sight more than most in this forum.

I want to learn how to put missions and campaigns together and now that I have the time that shouldn't be a problem. Q is, is it worth learning with the current mission/campaign building tools or will DCS World 2.0 and Edge mean that there is a new mission/campaign building engine coming!

Should I wait?

Well, I don't know how informed I am but I would ago ahead and start learning the ins and outs of the mission editor and the campaign builder. I doubt those would change a great deal with 2.0 and EDGE.

The problem is with the missions themselves. Sometimes there are backwards compatability issues between versions and bugs can creep up. Has happened a couple of times to me. But like I said, go ahead and learn at least the basics of mission building. Can't go wrong there.

Should I wait?

EDGE stands for Eagle Dynamics Graphics Engine. I would expect that the ME and associated functions will continue in the same way.

If there are changes I would not expect them to fundamentally change how missions are created ATM.

Learn all you can!!! the Mission builders corner is an invaluable thread

http://forums.eagle.ru/forumdisplay.php?f=210 :smartass:

and this http://en.wiki.eagle.ru/wiki/DCS_Mission_Editor_(ME))

Edited by SkateZilla

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]