DCS World 2.0 and New Maps Discussion Thread

Wags

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure it is - in a helo.

Though in a helo, even flying at 10ft above ground, you don't have to worry about radar detection. Every radar that barley has LOS on you, will know you are there.

Rotors make for great radar wave reflectors. :joystick:

Check out my YouTube: xxJohnxx

Intel i7 6800k watercooled | ASUS Rampage V Edition 10 | 32 GB RAM | Asus GTX1080 watercooled

You can't hide from my airborne radar even if you're at 0ft AGL.

after edge, I really hope ED will start on ground unit IA and realistic radar detection. I'm so tired about getting shoot at while flying at 10 AGL

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

You can't hide from my airborne radar even if you're at 0ft AGL.

He didnt say it, but I suspect he meant SAM radar in this case. I have also been very very low and had SA-11's firing at me with buildings between us (yes, low enough for the buildings to matter) and all. The missiles generally dont track which is good, but they should never even get off the rail. Granted there are other problems with the scenario i speak about, like why did I intentionally fly that close to an SA-11 in an su-25 or a-10, and would anyone in a chopper and not in the process of landing ever really fly that low, but still.

You do, or are you always talking in 3rd person?

Jimmy likes Elaine!

George is getting upset!!

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

He didnt say it, but I suspect he meant SAM radar in this case. I have also been very very low and had SA-11's firing at me with buildings between us (yes, low enough for the buildings to matter) and all. The missiles generally dont track which is good, but they should never even get off the rail. Granted there are other problems with the scenario i speak about, like why did I intentionally fly that close to an SA-11 in an su-25 or a-10, and would anyone in a chopper and not in the process of landing ever really fly that low, but still.

buildings dont block radar, and stuff...

Jimmy likes Elaine!

George is getting upset!!

is we not amused? :lol:

City Hall is easier to fight, than a boys' club - an observation :P

"Resort is had to ridicule only when reason is against us." - Jefferson

"Give a group of potheads a bunch of weed and nothing to smoke out of, and they'll quickly turn into engineers... its simply amazing."

EVGA X99 FTW, EVGA GTX980Ti FTW, i7 5930K, 16Gb Corsair Dominator 2666Hz, Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit, Intel 520 SSD x 2, Samsung PX2370 monitor and all the other toys

-

"I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar"

Certainly - there are still things to work through, but don't be too surprised if you find that a SAM can attack a target on the ground. It just needs the right type of guidance (though it won't be anywhere as accurate or as effective most likely).

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Am i the only one getting crazy waiting for EDGE??

IAF.Tomer

My Rig:

Core i7 6700K + Corsair Hydro H100i GTX

Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 7,G.Skill 32GB DDR4 3000Mhz

Gigabyte GTX 980 OC

Samsung 840EVO 250GB + 3xCrucial 275GB in RAID 0 (1500 MB/s)

Asus MG279Q | TM Warthog + Saitek Combat Pedals + TrackIR 5

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I noticed that the more news appear and closer the release is, the less I actually want to fly. Nowadays I'm just wasting time in photoshop and mario kart :D Waiting for 2.0 and that sweet L-39. It can't be that far away right, right? :(

It’s much harder to wait for something that might never happen! In this case 2.0 should be right around the corner.

Edited by rjetster1

It’s much harder to wait for something that might never happen! In this case 2.0 should be right around the corner.

I'm sure everyone can't wait! :D

(In the sense of having a lot of anticipation build-up for this...can't wait myself)

If you want to talk to anyone about anything personal, send it to their PM box. Interpersonal drama and ad hominem rebuttal are things that do not belong on a thread viewed by the public.

One thing i have to point out... naming a thread.. "OK, so" is as useful as tits on a bull.

Nope, welcome to the support group ;)

They are not testing right now? :(

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7950X3D, System-RAM: 64 GB DDR5, GPU: nVidia 4090, Monitor: LG 38" 3840*1600, VR-HMD: Pimax Crystal, OS: Windows 11Pro, 2*2TB Samsung M.2 SSD, HOTAS: TM Warthog, Paddles: MfG.

Yes, I was talking about SAM in general.

If I recall correctly, in reality they are not able to fire/track under a certain level, and it is not yet implemented in DCS.

It is really annoying when you want to do a a low fly insertion for bombing for exemple

Most of the ground radar have an angle of coverage, pointing upwards

http://www.ausairpower.net/PVO-S/30N6-1-NLD-MiroslavGyurosi-2S.jpg

Edited by Neon67

Yes, I was talking about SAM in general.

If I recall correctly, in reality they are not able to fire/track under a certain level, and it is not yet implemented in DCS.

It is really annoying when you want to do a a low fly insertion for bombing for exemple

Sams wont fire at you below 20 or 10 meters, depending on the SAM, this is on a flat plane of course, if your altitude is below 10 but you are 50 meters above the SAM it wont care.

This is not completely true for newer systems, and is only partially true for older systems.

Tracking someone at a low level is not to complicated. Yes, sure there are some conditions where you can't track a target, but most of the time it shouldn't be a problem.

For example the old S-75 (SA-2) had the possibility to engage stationary ground targets with it's missiles.

Even if radar tracking would be a problem, most SAM systems are capable of different tracking modes, such as manual or automatic optical tracking.

A bigger problem are the missiles themselves. The fuse systems often send out radio waves in all directions and when those radio waves hit something within for example 300m, the missile would detonate. Now if you have a target flying at 150m above ground, and the missile is flying at the same altitude, it will detonate just because of the reflections from terrain.

This was a problem at the early days of SAM systems, however it soon became a non-factor because of improved fusing mechanisms.

Also diving missiles into the ground (which is very effective in DCS) is almost impossible against modern airframes, as improved guidance methods prevent the missiles to dive below the target, and therefore it can't hit the ground before the target does.

If at all, the SAM systems in DCS are currently underpowered. Air defence systems seldom operate alone, but rather in huge command networks that have the ability to share targets over data link and perform ambushes.

It could be very likely that you fly over an area and you have some distant contacts on your RWR, when suddenly a new contact on the RWR pops up, which is an SA-11 just sitting under you, already guiding two missiles in against you.

Also a single SAM system would operate different from what it does currently in DCS. Turning on tracking radars several minutes before firing and keeping it on during the whole time of missile flight is just asking for getting shot at by ARMs.

If I am at it, I would recommend to have a look at Samsim (https://sites.google.com/site/samsimulator1972/home). This free simulator allows you to play some historical scenarios with the SA-2, SA-3, SA-4, SA-5, SA-8 as well as the Shilka in a very high simulation level.

As some of these systems are available in DCS as well, you can actually see how underpowered they are.

I hope the SAM systems will get some love once the FA-18 is coming out. Firing ARMs at the derp SAMs we currently have is no challenge.

Check out my YouTube: xxJohnxx

Intel i7 6800k watercooled | ASUS Rampage V Edition 10 | 32 GB RAM | Asus GTX1080 watercooled

This is not completely true for newer systems, and is only partially true for older systems.

Tracking someone at a low level is not to complicated. Yes, sure there are some conditions where you can't track a target, but most of the time it shouldn't be a problem.

For example the old S-75 (SA-2) had the possibility to engage stationary ground targets with it's missiles.

Even if radar tracking would be a problem, most SAM systems are capable of different tracking modes, such as manual or automatic optical tracking.

A bigger problem are the missiles themselves. The fuse systems often send out radio waves in all directions and when those radio waves hit something within for example 300m, the missile would detonate. Now if you have a target flying at 150m above ground, and the missile is flying at the same altitude, it will detonate just because of the reflections from terrain.

This was a problem at the early days of SAM systems, however it soon became a non-factor because of improved fusing mechanisms.

Also diving missiles into the ground (which is very effective in DCS) is almost impossible against modern airframes, as improved guidance methods prevent the missiles to dive below the target, and therefore it can't hit the ground before the target does.

If at all, the SAM systems in DCS are currently underpowered. Air defence systems seldom operate alone, but rather in huge command networks that have the ability to share targets over data link and perform ambushes.

It could be very likely that you fly over an area and you have some distant contacts on your RWR, when suddenly a new contact on the RWR pops up, which is an SA-11 just sitting under you, already guiding two missiles in against you.

Also a single SAM system would operate different from what it does currently in DCS. Turning on tracking radars several minutes before firing and keeping it on during the whole time of missile flight is just asking for getting shot at by ARMs.

If I am at it, I would recommend to have a look at Samsim (https://sites.google.com/site/samsimulator1972/home). This free simulator allows you to play some historical scenarios with the SA-2, SA-3, SA-4, SA-5, SA-8 as well as the Shilka in a very high simulation level.

As some of these systems are available in DCS as well, you can actually see how underpowered they are.

I hope the SAM systems will get some love once the FA-18 is coming out. Firing ARMs at the derp SAMs we currently have is no challenge.

Thanks for the clarification :thumbup: