DCS World 2.0 and New Maps Discussion Thread

Wags

I 'd like to see EDGE introduce wake turbulence effects. This would add greatly to the immersion, especially in WW2 aircraft. I recall Yo-Yo mentioning something about this a year ago. Does anyone have any news on this?

The three best things in life are a good landing, a good orgasm, and a good bowel movement. The night carrier landing is one of the few opportunities in life to experience all three at the same time.

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Technically speaking anything over 60kts. is considered a jetstream (high or low level). It's not possible to define a 'stream' in DCS as winds aloft are 'map-wide' and not confined within a 'corridor' though.

Personally I couldn't care less about jetstreams in DCS. Other weather phenomena such as fog could do with extensive improvement in the sim. Hopefully EDGE will allow that...

well not totally true...there is dynamic weather where you can adjust wind strengths depending on location.

I 'd like to see EDGE introduce wake turbulence effects. This would add greatly to the immersion, especially in WW2 aircraft. I recall Yo-Yo mentioning something about this a year ago. Does anyone have any news on this?

there is already turbulence effects implemented...its up to the mission designer whether to use it or not...

there is already turbulence effects implemented...its up to the mission designer whether to use it or not...

Wake turbulences, that is turbulences created by aircraft, are not implemented. Only regular wind turbulences and only close to the ground. The air in general is very sterille in DCS when compared to real world, but that is a issue present in every sim.

Edit: But these are things outside of graphical engine so I don't think EDGE will bring any change.

That video show only No entrainment military / private version videos. Corciga "old" military theater with "no entretainment ED engine" by AVIA TS https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCt7W2HUQBQ8LL9WdYVlwM0A. Nothing to do with EDGE only in Capabilities.

I remember reading somewhere that this "Edge" game engine is actually version 4, and that Professional sims have been using it for years in all its versions. Is that not what the AVIA stuff ACTUALLY IS running in? (EDGE). That would make it actually cousins, and therefore directly relate-able. Please correct my info, I like all the back story stuff. -Woog

I remember reading somewhere that this "Edge" game engine is actually version 4, and that Professional sims have been using it for years in all its versions. Is that not what the AVIA stuff ACTUALLY IS running in? (EDGE). That would make it actually cousins, and therefore directly relate-able. Please correct my info, I like all the back story stuff. -Woog

Yes I also read some where, I don't remember exactly but i heard AVIA is using Version 3 and upcoming EDGE is version 4. It means upcoming EDGE is more improved. Correct me if i am wrong

Edited by sniperwolfpk5

Win10, Intel 3rd Gen. Core i7 3.8Ghz, 20GB ram, Nvidia Geforce 1060 6GB Opentrack (Download it from HERE), PS3 Eye, Saitek x52-pro Joystick,

DIY Rudder Pedals,

Google Cardboard with DCS World

English is not my native language

You guys are better off not speculating on the specifics of other Professional Platforms that use earlier versions of EDGE.

They (Concord XXI, AVIA, Alt Wolf Etc) Use their Own Content and it's very likely that none of it will ever appear in DCS World.

Edited by SkateZilla

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Maybe those companies could repack and sell their Maps as partners of ED?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

Ya really it's like getting a chest full of gold and complaining about the size of the chest. The most important fact is theirs many other awesome maps out their that have been built upon a version of edge. I'm pretty confident they are at least the size of the new Nevada map and if not who cares the more maps the better. That business model has been successful with aircraft modules yes?

I7 4770k @ 4.6, sli 980 evga oc edition, ssdx2, Sony 55 inch edid hack nvidia 3dvision. Volair sim pit, DK2 Oculus Rift.

Maybe those companies could repack and sell their Maps as partners of ED?

Not likely to happen either due to licensing, IP and usage rights.

Why would a company port their IP to an entertainment software environment and charge less for it when they are in business to sell professional platforms for significantly more.

Edited by SkateZilla

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

Same reason eagle dynamics did it with the a10c module, dumb it down for consumers and make more profit and make consumer base more happy :). This would be a very very good road to take in regards to more maps!

I7 4770k @ 4.6, sli 980 evga oc edition, ssdx2, Sony 55 inch edid hack nvidia 3dvision. Volair sim pit, DK2 Oculus Rift.

Not likely to happen either due to licensing, IP and usage rights.

Why would a company port their IP to an entertainment software environment and charge less for it when they are in business to sell professional platforms for significantly more.

I hear what you are saying, but if I was in that postion I would definitely look hard at that option as the vast majority of the work would already be completed so any revenue generated from DCS would be gravy... Even if the profit margin wasn't large, it is pure profit..

And isn't DCS doing EXACTLY that with DCS WORLD?

They are exactly the model that you are stating is not likely to happen..

"Pride is a poor substitute for intelligence."

RAMBO

It wasn't dumbed down. Yes, some things work differently from the real deal, but I would disagree with it being 'dumbed down'.

Now if we're talking about maps, it's possible that they lack features that makes them easily portable to DCS, or have additional features that does the same. Porting formats alone might be a challenge. Maps are not 'pluggable', you can't take it from one piece of software and throw it in another and expect the same behavior. There are a lot of customizations. It costs a lot of time, and it might actually not be as profitable some believe. But that's just one way to look at things; personally I'd assume those companies have done their market research and know how much manpower they have and what they can dedicate it to.

Same reason eagle dynamics did it with the a10c module, dumb it down for consumers and make more profit and make consumer base more happy :). This would be a very very good road to take in regards to more maps!

Edited by GGTharos

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

They also had permission to create a consumer product from the professional product.

But it's tecnically a diferent situation. And it wasnt dumbed down some.features/systems were removed or made inoperable to the consumer by request/contract terms.

While ConcordXXI, AVIA, and AltWolf's maps may run an earlier version of edge, the professional plaforms they are designed for may not be even remotely.similar to DCS.

Well I'll speak for myself if I was a member in eagle dynamics I would invest some time and find out as this would be a very good expansion to the dcs world and would make allot more profit. As far as dcs A10c it was dumbed down in a sense, don't get me wrong it's the best module ever and by far my favorite.

Feels like we are all sitting around telling war stories but the unfortunate fact is we can't action this other than what we can do here on the forums. Hope ED is listening and maybe it be feasible in the future.

Ok I'll concede dumb down probably isn't the correct terminology but yes it was changed for us

Edited by rcjonessnp175

Ok I'll concede dumb down probably isn't the correct terminology but yes it was changed for us

Try 'sanitized'. ;)

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

With the A-10C it was in the original military contract, AFAIK.

Once you have an agreement with a customer aka a contract it is difficult to change or add things. Especially, but not limited to the military.

If companies have developed maps in EDGE for customers, the contract more often than not will give the exclusive rights to the original customer.

If selling these maps was not in the original plan, it is unlikely they will, or can change it later to sell it to us.

Many people really believe they are the main source of income for these companies. Explains why so many behave like they do... always keep in mind , worst case these companies like ED, Belsimtek, etc. could simply focus on the real business again and stop the little consumer market experiment.

I'm glad they did bring flight sims back into the 30th century and nearly all do it with enthusiasm and love for our hobby.

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

EDGE 2.0.0 System Requirements

I need some help.

So, as black friday draws near my power supply died mid flight. Luckily I had a spare power supply sitting around that was extemely cheap. TR2 700W that I'm scared will completely kill my entire PC from what I've read online.

Anyway, this got me thinking, what kind of idiot would I look like if I don't upgrade now with a major sale in front of me, and with my video card crashing every once and a while, my power supply a time bomb, my HDD is just sitting on top of my PSU, and everything fails and I'm out $1500, when I can pay $500 now. When 2.0.0 is coming out in december(hopefully) anyway and a GTX 560 Ti just won't cut it anymore.

So, friends. What should I get? What will likely handle EDGE with ease? Even though GTX 560 ti is recommended for DCS the performance is...suboptimal

Quad Core i5 3570k 3.4GHz

8GB DDR3

Win 7 Ultim 64bit

GTX 560 Ti

Forgive me if this is the wrong section for this. Don't think it should go in PC Hardware and Related Software.

tl;dr recommended EDGE pc specs

Since we have no information on EDGE requirements. The best suggestion is to get the best hardware that you can afford.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup: