America's Armor Sim News

DetroitDieseL

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some things I would like to see.

Smoke Generators and Smoke Grenade Launchers

I would like to see these actually block laser range finders and laser guided weapons. (it would need to have a build up / build down effectiveness rate to simulate accumulation and dissipation of smoke) It is a realistic and wanted feature (at least by me) It would block lasers (and possibly foul infrared) but make the tank super visible. (use it with care!!!)

Laser Warning Receiver

This is also a realistic and wanted feature. It just gives a buzz when a laser is being used on the tank (targeting or ranging). Some people might think this coupled with smoke would be a game killer. However

1. Smoke is not instant. It takes time to accumulate.

2. If your painted its probably too late anyway (for tank vs tank at least).

3. Smoke makes you VERY visible.

4. Smoke may inhibit the offense but it absolutely blinds the defense.

6. The shooter could just manually target the general area and hope to get lucky (I mean your probably SOMEWHERE in the smoke right).

Radio Warning Devices

These would be used to block anti tank missiles using millimeter and other very short wave radar. This probably would not be a good thing to include on product release (due to development time) but might be considered on a future expansion.

Icons

One of the hardest things about playing a tank sim is that it tries to turn 1 person into 3 or more people. This requires a good interface to be workable. My experience in T72: Balkans On Fire has taught me that having to remember a bunch of keys in a combat situation is not preferable (in fact it is probably going to get you killed). There should be an icon interface that would simulate communication with other crew. Personally I will probably use voice command software but not everyone prefers this or has it available (no mic).

I have suggestions if your interested. I have been interested in this genre for sometime now and have studied A LOT of tank sims.

Edited by ZQuickSilverZ

I need, I need, I need... What about my wants? QuickSilver original.

"Off with his job" Mr Burns on the Simpsons.

"I've seen steering wheels / arcade sticks / flight sticks for over a hundred dollars; why be surprised at a 150 dollar item that includes the complexities of this controller?! It has BLINKY LIGHTS!!" author unknown.

These titles are listed in the chronological order I purchased them.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Some things I would like to see.

Smoke Generators and Smoke Grenade Launchers

I would like to see these actually block laser range finders and laser guided weapons. (it would need to have a build up / build down effectiveness rate to simulate accumulation and dissipation of smoke) It is a realistic and wanted feature (at least by me) It would block lasers (and possibly foul infrared) but make the tank super visible. (use it with care!!!)

Laser Warning Receiver

This is also a realistic and wanted feature. It just gives a buzz when a laser is being used on the tank (targeting or ranging). Some people might think this coupled with smoke would be a game killer. However

1. Smoke is not instant. It takes time to accumulate.

2. If your painted its probably too late anyway (for tank vs tank at least).

3. Smoke makes you VERY visible.

4. Smoke may inhibit the offense but it absolutely blinds the defense.

6. The shooter could just manually target the general area and hope to get lucky (I mean your probably SOMEWHERE in the smoke right).

Radio Warning Devices

These would be used to block anti tank missiles using millimeter and other very short wave radar. This probably would not be a good thing to include on product release (due to development time) but might considered on a future expansion.

Icons

One of the hardest things about playing a tank sim is that it tries to turn 1 person into 3 or more people. This requires a good interface to be workable. My experience in T72: Balkans On Fire has taught me that having to remember a bunch of keys in a combat situation is not preferable (in fact it is probably going to get you killed). There should be an icon interface that would simulate communication with other crew. Personally I will probably use voice command software but not everyone prefers this or has it available (no mic).

I have suggestions if your interested. I have been interested in this genre for sometime now and have studied A LOT of tank sims.

If a tank that is this Sim IRL uses smoke generators, I will implement them. As of now, the Abrams only uses smoke grenades, which in fact I am working on.

The LRF in the Abrams can go through smoke, also, using the TIS the sight can see through smoke as well, Although depending ont he density.

I will look into your suggestions of the laser warning reciever, as well as your icon UI. I don't believe the Abrams using any kind of laser warning device, at least we didn't when I was in the Army, but times have changed since then.

If you want peace, prepare for war....

America's Armor

Dev Notes

AARM on Facebook

Help Fund AARM

I totally agree keep it realistic.

I did not know that about the LRF that is interesting.

I knew they could see through the old white phosphorus smoke but the new smoke they use is supposed to prevent that. Here is my source http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smoke_screen

Infrared Smokes

The proliferation of thermal imaging FLIR systems on the battlefields necessitates the use of obscurant smokes that are effectively opaque in the infrared part of electromagnetic spectrum. To achieve this, the particle size and composition of the smokes has to be adjusted. One of the approaches is using an aerosol of burning red phosphorus particles and aluminium coated glass fibers; the infrared emissions of such smoke curtains hides the weaker emissions of colder objects behind it, but the effect is only short-lived. Carbon (most often graphite) particles present in the smokes can also serve to absorb the beams of laser designators. Yet another possibility is a water fog sprayed around the vehicle; the presence of large droplets absorbs in infrared band and additionally serves as a countermeasure against radars in 94 GHz band. Other materials used as visible/infrared obscurants are micropulverized flakes of brass or graphite, particles of titanium dioxide, or terephthalic acid.

Older systems for production of infrared smoke work as generators of aerosol of dust with controlled particle size. Most contemporary vehicle-mounted systems use this approach. However the aerosol stays airborne only for a short time.

I have not found any Laser Warning Device on an Abrams. I saw work you were doing on another tank and thought maybe you were expanding the garage.

I hope you find some of the info I posted helpful. I would like to assist you in a research capacity if that would be beneficial to you.

Some info for you.

http://www.fprado.com/armorsite/abrams.htm

The Hughes Laser Rangefinder for the M1 Abrams consists of a neodinium yttrium aluminium garnet, Nd:YAG, laser transmitter, a receiver and timing and logic electronics integrated into the tank's fire control system. The operator aims the rangefinder on the target and fires the laser. The laser beam is reflected back from the target into the receiver and the time of travel to and from the target provides an accurate range measurement for the fire control computer. The wavelength of the Nd:YAG laser is 1.06 microns which can be damaging to the eye. A new rangefinder, the Eyesafe Laser Rangefinder has been developed by Hughes for the Abrams tank which incorporates a Raman resonator which shifts the wavelength from 1.06 to 1.54 microns which is not damaging to the eye. The Hughes laser rangefinder has a firing rate of 1 shot per second and provides range accuracy to within 10 meters and target discrimination of 20 meters

Edited by ZQuickSilverZ

"I've seen steering wheels / arcade sticks / flight sticks for over a hundred dollars; why be surprised at a 150 dollar item that includes the complexities of this controller?! It has BLINKY LIGHTS!!" author unknown.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

What about penetration simulation? Projectiles bouncing off when hitting a tank at a wrong angle? When penetrating, damage model for the internal structure?

Will there be a cosmetic damage model? Can you see the hole that a SABOT round made?

------=:: I FLY BLEIFREI ::=------

What about penetration simulation? Projectiles bouncing off when hitting a tank at a wrong angle? When penetrating, damage model for the internal structure?

Will there be a cosmetic damage model? Can you see the hole that a SABOT round made?

Making a hole where the round hit would be way to expensive, but of course there will be a damage model. No matter what degree of damage, there will be a damage model for it.

America's Armor

Dev Notes

AARM on Facebook

Help Fund AARM

DetroitDieseL I joined your Forum last night.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Sorry DetroitDieseL I have been sick I am checking it right now.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The first release will be third person, you will be able to go to the gunners sights.

What you are seeing in this image is tjust the reticle and LRF which will only be seen while you are in the gunners position, making you have to go inside the turret to engage.

After the first version is released develpoment on the turret will begin if it hasn't already begun.

America's Armor

Dev Notes

AARM on Facebook

Help Fund AARM

I have released a new video of some things that have been under development. There still needs to be some fine tuning of some things, but we're getting there.

http://www.americasarmor.com/OpOrd.html : Video AARM Dev 5

YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFiGx2SH4AQ&feature=youtu.be

I have also made some sections of the forums viewable without registering...;)

http://www.americasarmor.com/Forum/index.php

America's Armor

Dev Notes

AARM on Facebook

Help Fund AARM