Black Shark 2 Released

Wags

I dont understand something. When ED started working on DCS: WH, did they not build on the work done on BS1? That way when WH was finished, The BS would already be there with The WH.

Sorry to quote myself but I hope someone can give some insight into this.

I am the alpha and the omega

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People stop crying; what about those ps3 and xbox games; they release maps all the time and they cost money; what about playability; those console games you play them until you finish them and that is it. They also cost almost 60 dollars when new; black shark is only 20 dollars.

I play FC2 almost every week and still get spanked by some guys on the servers; let alone the shark; I haven't learned all the systems yet.

• Like 1

I dont understand something. When ED started working on DCS: WH, did they not build on the work done on BS1? That way when WH was finished, The BS would already be there with The WH.

They did. As you can see, BS2 has a bunch of new features and content that was made possible during the time that WH was being worked on. That is why another release was made in so short a time.

Would people rather have waited another entire year for both to be finalized?

3. A lot of people aren't mad because of the $20 fee, they are mad cause they got blindsided like Kris Humphries

Are you seriously suggesting that Mr. Humphries didn't know exactly what he was getting into?

Not sure I understand the reasoning but I'll give it a go:

BS1 Product complete = 50

WH built on BS1 as base: 50 + Improvements necessary to get to WH (50) = 100

WH Product complete = 100

As clearly illustrated by the simplest of examples as above, prior to BS2;

BS1 = 50

WH = 100

As such, to bring BS2 up to WH standards you needed to add 50 to BS1 and arrive at BS2;

BS2 = 100

WH = 100

In response to your question, no: BS1 would never have been there with WH when Warthog was complete - How could it be? If it was, there would be essentially no difference whatsoever between BS1 and BS2.

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

Thats kinda what happened, the BS1 world was expanded for A-10 and new features added to the world and the sim.

Howver, these new features required work for the Ka-50 to be able to operate in that world.

For example the radios had to be redone for the Ka-50 to fit with the comms design with Actors providing new voice recordings. AI Russian flights had to have new voice recordings and Radio logic designed so the player could hear the other flights. Radio logic was improved so AM and FM channels could be recived. The radio logic had to account for all of this new traffic during a battle and allow the Player to communicate with wingmen.

That is one small example of the hurdles encountered.

Nate

1 I believe is fixed the others I'll have to check.

Edit:- 3 - it is possible for one system to fail, it isn't very common, but it can happen. (I remember checking that a short while ago)

OK. BTW, thanks again for channeling the community reported bugs to the devs!

110% sure thats fixed in BS2, certain of that.

About time! Seriously, that Flanker2-like ridiculous implementation was making me #%#! ;)

Well despite concerned about if my pc would run it, I have purchased BS2 and downloaded, just completed my first flight, everything on medium, and cockpit shadows on ( I can't have these on in a10 ) and Wow, good Fps, no stutters and the sound is well Blooming amazing. Still a few issues with my joystick profile, some keys not working or activating wrong switches. ( I did just load up the warthog profile i've been using for BS ) so was expecting difficulty with that.

Not tried nvgs yet, that's tomorrows flight, but all I can say is Thanks Guys, a job well done, can't wait to dive deep into it and find out what you guys have changed.

:thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fighter pilots make movies, Attack pilots make history, Helicopter pilots make heros.

:pilotfly: Corsair 570x Crystal Case, Intel 8700K O/clocked to 4.8ghz, 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 MHZ Ram, 2 x 1TB M2 drives, 2 x 4TB Hard Drives, Nvidia EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW, Maximus x Hero MB, H150i Cooler, 6 x Corsair LL120 RGB Fans And a bloody awful Pilot :doh:

Debating whether to get BS2, apologies for not wanting to read 20 odd pages to see if my question has been asked previously, but..

Is BS2 anything other than a compatibility patch for A10c with improved cockpit textures? This is what is sounds like from the press release, am i missing something or is this what it is?

I'm not complaining just want understand what I considering to buy.

Edited by MadTommy
typo

i5-3570K @ 4.5 Ghz, Asus P8Z77-V, 8 GB DDR3, 1.5GB GTX 480 (EVGA, superclocked), SSD, 2 x 1680x1050, x-fi extreme music.

TM Warthog, Saitek combat pro pedals, TrackIR 4

You've read the feature list, you've read what's in it. The cockpit isn't just an improvement on textures, it uses the new EDM model that allows for self-shadowing.

The world around it is A-10C standard and a bit more (there are some things that A-10C does not have yet, but they are not necessarily Ka-50 specific) and some things that were done specifically for Ka-50, like heli AI improvements. There is also a new campaign.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

YES

At least there's a tick box in options for it.

:)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fighter pilots make movies, Attack pilots make history, Helicopter pilots make heros.

:pilotfly: Corsair 570x Crystal Case, Intel 8700K O/clocked to 4.8ghz, 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 MHZ Ram, 2 x 1TB M2 drives, 2 x 4TB Hard Drives, Nvidia EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW, Maximus x Hero MB, H150i Cooler, 6 x Corsair LL120 RGB Fans And a bloody awful Pilot :doh:

Cry me a river. I made a post pointing out that ED's actions violate what they clearly say they'd do with the DCS series on their own FAQ (not merely statements beyond their control on other sites as was suggested) and suggested that if the situation is as they say it is, that they were forced to do this through financial circumstances, then I guess we'd have to accept that but at least a good first step would be an apology for not delivering what they said they would. I know that we can't always do what we'd hoped to, and I'm sure that development does cost money, the best laid plans of mice and men and all that. But when we are unable to deliver on our promises some sort of symbolic act of contrition is usually considered appropriate. I also suggested that a useful second step would be a clear statement of how they intend to proceed with the DCS series now that we now it is not going to be the modular concept that we were (and still are in the FAQ) promised. Others have requested such clarity and been given nothing more than "we're working on it" in response. Two sims in and a new one frequently hinted about on the horizon and they're working on it?

I was insta banned as a troll for doing so and my post was deleted within minutes. An apology is about the only course of action available to the devs if the situation is as they say it is. If the devs were forced to take this course through financial pressure then apologizing for not delivering what they said they would is really all they can do. It would be a meaningful act to me, and I am sort of on the precipice of purchasing A10, I've been eyeing the sim for a while. But if I can't trust the developers, and so far they've apparently shown that they're willing to go back on their word and silence someone for pointing that out (or employ moderators that would do it for them), then I don't think I care to hand my money over to them. Which is frustrating because I'd prefer to support the development of such a unique product.

Yet I too persevere, because I would prefer to see the devs take such a simple symbolic act. I've been excited ever since I found out DCS A10 existed, for that matter I didn't even know that the A-10C existed, all my hog knowledge dates back to the original avionics fit of the A-10. Unfortunately I rather expect this post too to be disappeared within minutes which will be the final act that makes it clear that ED and I can not be friends. If pride and an obsessive need to control dissent override basic decency and manners (courtesy works both ways, after all) and the only acceptable attitude for a customer to take is "thank you sir, may I have another", then I can't be a part of the comparatively small and apparently insular community built around DCS. And honestly, if anyone thinks that anything said on this discussion registers as flaming, then this is an insular, sheltered community.

If I understand you correctly, you are referring to this entry in the Black Shark FAQ?

Q: How will multiplayer compatibility be ensured between players with different DCS modules??

A: The base DCS simulation environment will be continually upgraded and improved with release of new modules. However, as each new DCS base version is released, all DCS users can upgrade to the same base version to ensure compatibility. The only difference between players would be the selection of what aircraft would be player-controllable versus AI-controlled according to which modules were purchased

If so, I do think it falls well within Wags' earlier comment that such language was carefully chosen to avoid the promise of free updates - despite the fact that it was indeed our hope to provide them. Such careful use of language was and is warranted, because product development plans on software projects of this scale, complexity and longevity are difficult to maintain and often require reassessment. This has happened in the past and will probably happen in the future, unfortunately.

Having said that, as somebody who was officially sanctioned by ED at the time DCS: Black Shark was in development (as volunteer Community Manager), I can certainly extend my apology for any change in our plans that might have made users feel mislead. While it's true that in some cases we feel it isn't appropriate to discuss product plans prematurely (though sometimes things slip anyway), it was never ED's intention to mislead anyone. The company operates in an environment where development costs are very high, while revenue potential is not only limited, but also determined by outside factors (for example game cost ceilings for retail chains). With the added complexity of having to coordinate out gaming product development with military product development, product plans often suffer from significant changes in direction. This has proven to be a difficult, but thus far unavoidable part of the development process.

This isn't the first time we are in a position to appeal to the users for understanding that product plans are subject to change. We understand that sometimes these changes may not be well liked, but hope that the opposite is true as well. For example, I would imagine that our change of plans to model the A-10C instead of the A-10A, which was already in development for DCS: Warthog at the time with cockpit screenshots published, was on balance a positive one.

Once again, we understand that the decision to release Black Shark 2 as a payware upgrade may have taken many by surprise and is not to everyone's liking. As with all of our other products, we feel that it is a warranted decision based on the amount of resources invested in its development and is in general well worth the price as an upgrade package to the original Black Shark. It's your right to disagree with this decision, but please consider the manner in which such disagreement is voiced, as it is our right to develop our products and maintain the official forum in a manner we feel is most effective.

Unfortunately I cannot comment much regarding future DCS integration plans, other than to say that it continues to be our goal to develop a unified electronic battlefield in which players can control a variety of realistically modeled platforms.

Edited by EvilBivol-1

- EB

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Nothing is easy. Everything takes much longer.

The Parable of Jane's A-10

Forum Rules

Thanks for the conformation. So this is the long anticipated compatibility patch.

Personally I'd have been more receptive if ED had simply said this major patch would have to be funded by the community due to the work required rather than making it sound like a new product.

i5-3570K @ 4.5 Ghz, Asus P8Z77-V, 8 GB DDR3, 1.5GB GTX 480 (EVGA, superclocked), SSD, 2 x 1680x1050, x-fi extreme music.

I don't think they made it sound like a new product MadTommy, nor did they offer it as such to BS1 owners. The point here is that they added content beyond what you might expect to find in a patch. You might not care for some of the things in there, but the truth is that it does contain new content.

Thanks for the conformation. So this is the long anticipated compatibility patch.

Personally I'd have been more receptive if ED had simply said this major patch would have to be funded by the community due to the work required rather than making it sound like a new product.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

I have to pay what! :D

funny-animal-pic.jpg

It's your choice to buy it or not, no one is forcing you. I have seen some screenshots at simhq that look amazing. So for $20 it is worth it, especially if you really like flying BS. Look here http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3424393/BlackShark2.html#Post3424393

i7-4820k @ 3.7, Windows 7 64-bit, 16GB 1866mhz EVGA GTX 970 2GB, 256GB SSD, 500GB WD, TM Warthog, TM Cougar MFD's, Saitek Combat Pedals, TrackIR 5, G15 keyboard, 55" 4K LED

If I may make a suggestion, starting next module ED should stick to just adding aircaraft to whatever dcs world we have now. After a couple of additional aircraft have been completed, then work on a patch that would improve things like map, graphics, ME, AI, etc. That way we will have more things to fly and ED will have more cash flow.

I am the alpha and the omega

Do i need BS1 installed and patched up to date in order to be able to use the 'upgrade' version?

I haven't seen any guidance on this. It says i need BS1, but not sure if this si for licensing or installation.

Do i need BS1 installed and patched up to date in order to be able to use the 'upgrade' version?

I haven't seen any guidance on this. It say i need BS1, but not sure if this si for licensing or installation.

In particular post #4

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=80914

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

Reinstall BS1 straight from the disc, DO not update.

Enter the activation code.

then you use the BS2 upgrade.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Unfortunately I cannot comment much regarding future DCS integration plans, other than to say that it continues to be our goal to develop a unified electronic battlefield in which players can control a variety of realistically modeled platforms.
So does this mean in the end we better be prepared for DCS:A10-2, and DCS:BS-3 when ever DCS:"future module" shows up? Well maybe we all had a missconcept about DCS when we thought it would work like MS Flight Simulator Addons.
  • Like 1

Reinstall BS1 straight from the disc, DO not update.

Enter the activation code.

then you use the BS2 upgrade.

Excuse me for being a little slow this evening... but i need to clarify.

I own BS1 but do not have it installed. I'm gaming off a SSD with limited space and have no interest in compatibility to FC2.

I'm presently downloading the 'BS2 upgrade version' @ 4.8GB.

To install this version i HAVE to have BS1 installed but not patched. (even if i don't want it installed)

Or can i simply install BS2 to save space.

Sorry me being slow, :doh: