1.1, Gold, 1.2--a couple of questions

I have read through a lot of threads, but i think I've missed a couple of things. Therefore I have several questions, forgive me for asking if these have been answered already:

1. As both d/l and CD version of 1.1 include Starforce--what about LO: Gold, does it include Starforce too?

2. Will 1.2 be available for free or will it be paid-for? In the latter case, will it include Starforce?

3. Also, will 1.2 include 1.1 and LO:MAC, or will it be just an add-on?

4. In 1.1 CD version, does Starforce work like normal CD protection, or does it install itself as a virtual device on your system and performs its nasty stuff?

I own LO: MAC and have been very much looking forward to 1.1 but didn't buy it in the end, first because of PayPal thing and then because of Starforce.

1. Yep

2. Add-on, so paid for, and it will -probably- use SF, but that hasn't been finalized

3. Depends on where you buy it I guess, so, probably both.

4. Errr ... both in a way? Not an easy question to answer.

Some people have reported problems with SF, most have said that the problems are resolvable easily enough.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Tharos, thanks for a quick response.

I'm afraid I'm not buying anything with Starforce in it, problems or no problems, it's the concept that bugs me.

I have another question--does Russian version use Starforce too? Because I would rather use the Russian version than have SF installed on my system.

All versions use starforce.

If the concept of starforce bugs you, why are you buying any software at all? Though you don't see it, a lot of stuff is a lot more intrusive in ways that you do NOT see - even browsing the web is technically worse ;)

To not buy something ebcause of SF is silly. The concept is fine, and problems with it have been worked on. There's no other reasonable way of protecting copyright.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Thx again for your answer Tharos.

I haven't come in to discuss SF, but as you tacitly admit it, the problems do exist. The fact that they're "worked on" does not change a thing. I would rather pay my money for something that works without those problems. I hope 1.2 will be sold without SF. Also, if you think that it's bullet proof, think again. Don't know about 1.1, but other SF "protected" games have been pirated.

There are 'some problems' reported by 'a few people'.

In exactly the same manner that there were 'some problems' with the original release of LOMAC. Why do you buy any software at all then? :P

And, FC hasn't been pirated yet.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The original release of LOMAC runs fine on my computer, however it doesn't load another application and install a virtual device that is documented to be causing problems.

Why do I buy any software? Well, I don't buy any that installs additional faulty software along with it. Mind you, I have bought HL2 online through Steam, so I wouldn't have any problem with such a solution in general.

The original release of LOMAC runs fine on my computer, however it doesn't load another application and install a virtual device that is documented to be causing problems.

Why do I buy any software? Well, I don't buy any that installs additional faulty software along with it. Mind you, I have bought HL2 online through Steam, so I wouldn't have any problem with such a solution in general.

I've only heard of Starforce causing problems in very specific, very avoidable sets of circumstances.

Things like . . . . oh, you're being a muppet and running an unprotected PC, you're trying to crack a game, Microsoft = teh hitlar!1!one!!, HyperLobby is a giant trojan trying to invade your PC and steal your wife, your tinfoil hat is slipping over your eyes, or the black helicopters are coming in the night and you have to stop writing the po

I've only heard of Starforce causing problems in very specific, very avoidable sets of circumstances.

Things like . . . . oh, you're being a muppet and running an unprotected PC,

Or things like "Oh, I cannot burn my DVDs on speeds above 4x anymore" like in my case. So don't give me those wisecracks..

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

Things like . . . . oh, you're being a muppet and running an unprotected PC, you're trying to crack a game, Microsoft = teh hitlar!1!one!!, HyperLobby is a giant trojan trying to invade your PC and steal your wife, your tinfoil hat is slipping over your eyes, or the black helicopters are coming in the night and you have to stop writing the po

Useless and snide... If you have nothing constructive to add, please spare me from your sarcasm.

Anyway, thanks everybody (well almost everybody) for constructive input, I guess I'll wait and see if 1.2 ships without SF. If it does, I'll buy it, if it doesn't, oh well, this is not the only flight sim out there.

Okay - well, we disagree. In any case you can uninstall the SF driver for the few instances where it would cause you trouble (eg. burning a DVD, which isn't done too often) ... in general, I would ask for expert advice as to how any problems were handled, rather than scuttlebutt from the 'net, because I think you may find that the issues aren't half as painful as they're made out to be, and you're missing a lot in terms of online play at the very least by not getting 1.1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Or things like "Oh, I cannot burn my DVDs on speeds above 4x anymore" like in my case. So don't give me those wisecracks..

Hi,

As said a zillion times before, this has happened some times, to some users, and when using some configurations of DVD burners / sofware burners / Windows and so on. Statistically there's more problems with graphic cards than with StarForce.

And, to my knowledge, most of the times this problems can be solved by a full reinstall of these software in an appropiate order (Windows driver stack is somewhat "delicate" sometimes ;)...).

By the way: I have a DVD burner that still burns at the usual speed, using the very same program I used before (Nero or Sony DVD Arquitect), and my "virtual" drives (at least Nero ImageDrive) are still working too. And all this without taking any specific care when installing FC ¿can you imagine?

Best regards,

Asterix

My bad, I was assuming the original poster was talking about the alleged Starforce security holes . . . . . which ARE entirely avoidable.

Come to that, your DVD-burner not working is generally fixable as well. But hey, if you're not prepared to give the possibility of Starforce working properly on your PC any thought . . . . . . shrug.

Tigar - if you ignore the second part of my post (hey, not everyone shares my sense of humour ;) ) then I think you just might find it of some relevance. The problems with Starforce ARE avoidable, and every time I've seen someone ask for help on the forums their problem has been solved.

However - it sounds like you've already made your mind up that Starforce does more harm than good. If that's the case, then I guess you'll miss out . . . . . which would be a real shame.