Who Does What, Owns What???

My head is spinning. Can someone explain the relationship between DCS, Eagle Dynamics, Ubisoft, etc.

And, is LockOn Platinum different from LockOn MAC + LockOn FC2 with the latest patch?

DCS has A-10C Warthog as does LockOn. What is the difference? Why a standalone A-10C?

Thanks to anyone who can clear up my confusion.

Regards, Jim

My head is spinning. Can someone explain the relationship between DCS, Eagle Dynamics, Ubisoft, etc.

And, is LockOn Platinum different from LockOn MAC + LockOn FC2 with the latest patch?

DCS has A-10C Warthog as does LockOn. What is the difference? Why a standalone A-10C?

Thanks to anyone who can clear up my confusion.

Regards, Jim

LockOn was a midcore survey Sim made by ED and published by Ubisoft in 2003. "Flaming Cliffs" was an "Addon" published ED only. In FC the realism level was raised compared to LOMAC especially for the Su-25/T

Lock On Platinum is just LockOn and FC in one box.

DCS is a new series with Hardcore Sim focus that was planned as Digital Combat Series with more Modules to come, but recently it turned out that you have to buy new updates to DCS whenever a new module comes out. This started with Flaming Cliffs 2.0 and DCS:Black Shark. Basically you habe to buy a new game everytime. I already sunk 239€ in the series over the years just to stay updated. That's basically the same sum I spend for FSX addons...so it's not that unusual, unusual is just that you basically get the same aircraft over and over again.

Edited by Beagle One

Correct me if I'm wrong please gents...:

Eagle Dynamics are the devellopers for Lock On, Lock On Flaming Cliffs, DCS Black Shark, Lock On Flaming Cliffs 2, DCS A-10C, DCS Black Shark 2.

Original Lock On: Modern Air Combat has A-10A, not C, but in much less detail and fidelity to the real aircraft. Ubisoft was only publisher for Lock On: Modern Air Combat, they pulled the plug on the product after that. Lock On Platinum is a patched version of the original Lock On: Modern Air Combat game.

The DCS Series is a much more in depth simulation of various platforms, with 3D, clickable, 6DOF pits, and is in constant devellopment.

Hope it helps you figure it out a little :)

Welcome to the forums.

Cheers,

=ACU=Tech

TECH Systemes

Computer 1 Computer 2

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

LockOn:Platinum is a bundle. It's LockOn and Flaming cliffs 2.0 in one box.

You need LockOn to install Flaming cliffs. LockOn:Gold was LockOn with Flaming cliffs 1.0 as bundle. I know because I own all of them(unfortunately) You can throw all the old stuff into a bin basically since there are only payware updates since FC2.0 so stay away from ordering any old version as you can't update them anyway.

Edited by Beagle One

I'm right there with you. After BS2, I'm not sure what the hell is going on, but as I understand it:

1. Ubisoft was the publisher for the original Lock-on: Modern Air Combat, and owns the publishing rights for that title and subsequent add-ons.
  2. Lock-on Flaming Cliffs 1.0 was an add-on/upgrade for the original LOMAC.
  3. Lock-on Platinum is LOMAC plus Flaming Cliffs 2.0
  4. Flaming Cliffs 2 is an add-on/upgrade that requires LOMAC or Lock-on Gold to play. FC2 added multiplayer compatibility with BS1.
  5. BS2 is a standalone expansion for BS1 that has no compatibility with BS1 or any version of LOMAC and its subsequent add-ons. BS2 is multiplayer compatible with DCS:WH.

I guess this is just a move on EDs part to follow through with their declared strategy of making all DCS modules compatible with each other. Where this will eventually leave the FC series remains to be seen. I have a feeling that this may be the end of the series' life though, which is unfortunate IMO, given the limited number of DCS modules and the length of time between each module's release. I've been hoping that ED would finally give some serious attention to its multiplayer strategy, but I've been hoping that for nearly 10 years now. There's only so much you can do with a snazzy combat platform when you don't have live opponents. Maybe they'll prove me wrong and spin off FC into its own product line separate from DCS, which I believe would be a viable strategy, but I'm not optimistic about that.

Edited by GhostDog
corrected bullet #3 and 4
EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming | i5 7600K 3.8 GHz | ASRock Z270 Pro4 | Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 16 GB | PNY CS2030 NVMe SSD 480 GB | WD Blue 7200 RPM 1TB HDD | Corsair Carbide 200R ATX Mid-Tower | Win 10 x64

Thanks guys. That helps. (I think.) :smilewink:

I am using FC2 with the latest patch and I like it very much. Should I be looking at anything else?

Regards, Jim

Edit: I have been unable to get on this site from yesterday morning until just now.

Edited by hawkeye62

Thanks guys. That helps. (I think.) :smilewink:

I am using FC2 with the latest patch and I like it very much. Should I be looking at anything else?

Regards, Jim

Edit: I have been unable to get on this site from yesterday morning until just now.

If you fancy flying helicopters, try DCS: Black Shark which is quite a bit harder to learn then FC2 though. But also that much more fun.

Same for A10C.

It's fairly normal for the ED forums to just vanish for a certain period and then pop-up again as if it had never been away.

Guess there's some military class cloaking device being tested here.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The keeper of all mathematical knowledge and the oracle of flight modeling.:)