Effect of different radar modes on RWR?

Greetings,

Does the use of close range radar modes such as vertical scan or the F15 gun auto acquire (?) produce any, a diminished or the same signal on an enemy's RWR if he is say 80nm+ (ie a fair way out). or does it depend if i point the scan zone in his direction?

same question with boresight mode?

answers on a postcard plz :)

thx

Terrier_Sig.jpg

Interesting question. I guess the best way would be to test with a friend..

Although I would assume that, as the Automodes are only scanning 10nm out infront of the F-15 that a target at 80nm wouldn't pick up any signals on the RWR.

Having said that if the enemy is at a closer range, say >15nm the enemy will pick up your radar emissions even if the autoguns hasn't aquired lock.

For exact ranges though, I would suggest testing with a friend.. unless someone already else has

That's exactly how it works Megile, however, that is WRONG.

You should still pick up the signal as normal at 80nm IF the beam was ponted at you.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Greetings,

Does the use of close range radar modes such as vertical scan or the F15 gun auto acquire (?) produce any, a diminished or the same signal on an enemy's RWR if he is say 80nm+ (ie a fair way out). or does it depend if i point the scan zone in his direction?

same question with boresight mode?

answers on a postcard plz :)

thx

Hi,

Radar emissios obviously can't be stopped at 15 km ;). They are electromagnetic signals that extends indefinitely until they vanish by losing power with distance. The only way to "limit" them would be to emit such a low power signal that would vanish at aprox. that distance, but I really doubt it's that way. It's the radar logic of the emitting aircraft who discriminates and ignores any return from beyond that limit distance.

So yes, a real RWR should detect those emissions, although I really don't know what happens in LOMAC. If GGTharos says it doesn't, then as he says it's wrong how the game simulates it.

Regards,

Asterix