OT: SU-33 crashes in Norwegian sea

• ED Team

I can't seem to find this anywhere else except on a norwegian news page, so i'll just tell you what i have read about it.

An Su-33 failed to land on the russian carrier "Admiral Kuznetsov" yesterday, and crashed in the sea.

The pilot ejected and was brought aboard the ship safely.

The plane was participating in a big navy-excercise in international waters in the norwegian sea, not far from Shetland.

This is the first time since the cold war that the russian navy has excercises (<--not quite sure how to spell this) this far south.

I'm sure someone can dig up some english-speaking news-sites so others can read the full story of this.

Guest EVIL-SCOTSMAN

well if its just off of shetland it will probably be in my news today at some point, i have looked but cant see anything about it, but since shetland is in scotland i would presume it will appear sooner or later in the news.....

A cable break is not that uncommon, considering thate fact that a lot of planes land using it.

Well, the Russian Carrier has not a really huge AirWing, so I don't think there are a lot of landings to sustain. In the previous photos posted in this Forum you can see on the deck just 2 Su-33 and 1 Su-25 (UB, TM, -39?).

I know that arresting wires are changed every X landings on US carriers, and also aircraft hooks are changed after Y landings. I don't remember actual values for X and Y, I'll make a brief search.

Maybe here they used older wires, which broke with the higher tempo of real ops.

It's a shame because the Su-33 is a beautiful but rare aircraft. Hope the pilot is ok.

A preliminary report has blamed a failure in the plane's braking system for the incident.

The source said that the Su-33 was in good working order before the mission.

A Russian flight engineer was overheard saying "oh, so thats what this is for...." whilst looking at a spare bolt in his hand that was left over from the last refit :icon_redf

Are there really that few airframes left? Such a shame...

Are there really that few airframes left? Such a shame...

There were never more than 24 airframes. The Su-33s in service with the Russian Navy(Northern Fleet more specifically) are operated by a single air regiment - the 279 KIAP(KIAP is the cyrillic abbreviation for "Shipborne Fighter Air Regiment").

One air regiment = 2 squadrons

One squadron = 12 aircraft

Cheers,

- JJ.

JJ

Yeah, Russia's invasion days are over, now they try it with politics :|

I read that there were 24 su-33s flying in active duty on the Kuz..

I dont think there were ever 24 Su-33s onboard the Kuz - I believe that the regiment is split with one squadron aboard the ship, and the other operating as back-up ashore.

...or were that mig-29Ks for the Indians...

So far the Indian Navy has ordered 12 single seat MiG-29K and 4 twin-seat MiG-29KUB. I could imagine that this corresponds to the number they intend on putting onboard the "Admiral Gorshkov" once it has been converted and delivered sometime in 2008.

Cheers,

- JJ.

JJ

Same carrier. "There can be only one!" :D

Yeah exactly :biggrin: - thats why I was confused about what you meant.

For a moment I thought you meant that one of the Su-33s seen onboard the ship in the pictures, was the same one that had crashed.

Cheers,

- JJ

JJ

Splash one! Litterally :p

Interesting how they'll blow up the thing at a depth of 1100m? A depth charge? They better do it fast, or else they may hit all the subs that will gather around the wreck to spy on it, because thus far, all the NATO subs were spying on the group, now they have something interesting to "look" at :d

Creedence Clearwater Revival:worthy:

dude i dont want to sound like i am reprimanding you but why would you post links to a russian TEXT website on an english speaking forum ? :confused: ;)

Here you go http://forums.airbase.ru/index.php?act=ST&f=3&t=5613

You can use translator http://www.babelfish.altavista.com

And also that was THE ONLY source I found on that topic, that's why I posted it here (I don't speak russian either dude)

GROM- Grupa Reagowania Operacyjno Manewrowego

Making the story short the SU-33 slide off the deck after the cable broke during touch down.

The pilot (Yuri Korneev) ejected and landed safely in the water while the plane sank to 1100 meters depth making a recovery attempt more or less impossible or to expencive. The Russians has stated that they are planning to blow the plane up due to the highly sensitive equipment abord. The plane was unarmed.

Norwegian Navy has stated they will not interfere in any way unless the Russian Navy calls for assistanse.

Article also say the Admiral is rarely seen to see due to Russian defenses poor funds.

Hope this is satisfying :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I7 3930K.

16Gb Corsair Vengeance 1866mhz.

Asus P9X79 Deluxe.

Asus GTX680 2Gb.

Auzentech Home Theater 3D Sound.

TM Warthog HOTAS.

TM Cougar MFD's.

Saitek Flight Pro pedals.

TrackIR 5.

Samsung Syncmaster P2770FH