Help with activation / deactivation

bflagg

I need to reinstall my PC, and i need to deactivate my A-10c.........so great.

How in the hell do I do that?

I enter in my serial number..but it won't deactivate unless I provide a hardware code.

(WTF for??)

anyway..how do I deactivate so i can redo my PC?

(and how do I activate..since..again.. I'll need a hardware code to activate)

Thanks,

Brett

Deactivation:

DCS A-10C QuickStart Guide EN pgs 9-14.

Activation:

DCS A-10C QuickStart Guide EN pgs 3-9.

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

I guess that's part of the problem, as my page 9 is about TGP and modes.

and i swear to you. the pdf is the exact same name as you suggest.

So i end up going to protect.exe and trying to run deactivation and it will not give me a hardware code!...so wtf?

3 days now I've been trying to uninstall the program correctly so I don't burn any activations. And guess what..no reply using the DCS support link either.....

Just F awesome. I'm trying to go by the draconian crap rules enforced by starfarce and I'm getting no where!

Ive even gone here....

http://www.star-force.com/support/users/deactivate/

gee whiz ED.. what is wrong with this picture?

If I buy the disc at best buy.. do I still have to use starfarce?

If I buy thru steam...do I still have starfarce imposed?

Edited by bflagg

Thanks,

Brett

Go to your install directory, find the "protect.exe", start that, follow the on-screen prompts.

TGP modes sounds funny though -that's on page 29 on mine. Which version do you have installed?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Go to your install directory, find the "protect.exe", start that, follow the on-screen prompts.

TGP modes sounds funny though -that's on page 29 on mine. Which version do you have installed?

I have done that.

"No license for deactivation found...".. (*but it is activated!)

I think the pdf was from 1.0..

I found it and d/l, as it's actually called:

DCS-A-10C_Install_Guide_EN.pdf

I think the problem is from the inablity of the program to use the internet to activate. (yet there is nothing wrong with my connection, obviously since i'm posting) so I had to go the the starforce site and enter info provided by support.

My game activated...and I haven't played it since. So something happened at the home from where i have to reinstall this computer and I can't.. because I have to deactivate first!. I've been waiting since friday.

They say I used one activation back in march, but I have no recollection of doing so.

So now I wish to recover my 2nd activation before I reinstall the machine and can't.

stuck in pennsylvania.....

Edited by bflagg

Thanks,

Brett

If I buy the disc at best buy.. do I still have to use starfarce?

If I buy thru steam...do I still have starfarce imposed?

Yes.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Here are the appropriate pages from the latest quickstart guide.

EDIT: If you check Properties==> Details for the file you have it will give you the creation date which for this file should be 11/27/11.

You might also want to look at your executable properties since which version you have is at issue.

DCS.exe is in the bin directory and Properties==> Details should show the version as being 1.1.1.0.

Pages from DCS A-10C QuickStart Guide EN.pdf

Edited by cichlidfan

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Here are the appropriate pages from the latest quickstart guide.

EDIT: If you check Properties==> Details for the file you have it will give you the creation date which for this file should be 11/27/11.

You might also want to look at your executable properties since which version you have is at issue.

DCS.exe is in the bin directory and Properties==> Details should show the version as being 1.1.1.0.

I'm running 1.1.0.9

and protect is:

v 5.70.25.2

date: 07/21/11

Thanks,

Brett

The procedure to deactivate should still be the same.

I have deactivated a couple of times but I honestly could not tell you which versions. Never had a problem.

You could try uninstalling, and then reinstall. It will not use up an activation but a clean install may fix the problem and allow you to deactivate.

I could try that, but I'm afraid I'd loose another activation and will ED recover (restore) the two I'd lose if things go wrong ??

Prior posts I've read suggest no and I'm screwed

for activation/deactivation does my firewall need to be reconfigured for the process?

I find it weird that I can run my Domino server on various ports with no problem, but SF activation cannot connect to the internet.

Thanks,

Brett

First of all, no activations need to be restored, ever. (Well, you'll unfortunately be unable to re-activate after the heat death of the universe, but...)

The simple reason is because once the last one is used, you'll get it back automatically after 30 days. Ad infinitum. You cannot permanently run out of activations with this system. Again, see documentation for details.

Second, no, uninstalls/reinstalls do not use up activations. I know this since I typically do the whole dance for one reason or another at an average of once every two weeks or so, and sometimes I have reason to do it several times in the same day. ;) The only thing that causes activations to be required is drasting hardware changes, OS reinstalls, or (sometimes) things getting wonky due to VM's and virtual hardware. (Though the most common virtual hardware, that of emulated optical media, should not be a problem at all.) I have never lost an activation, over I don't know how many reinstalls.

Your firewall should not require any specific setup for this, but you can always check to ensure that it hasn't for some reason blocked that application (if it's a software firewall).

Some further information in this link collection on ED wiki: http://en.wiki.eagle.ru/wiki/Troubleshooting:starforce:5.x

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

|
| Life of a Game Tester

As EtherealN and I also said:

Second, no, uninstalls/reinstalls do not use up activations.

I did it about four times in one afternoon! As long as your registry information (which an uninstall does not touch)remains intact you will not be asked to activate it again.

I did it about four times in one afternoon! As long as your registry information (which an uninstall does not touch)remains intact you will not be asked to activate it again.

And as a further addition, even if that registry information is killed (for example by some registry cleaner), you should still not lose an activation. In this case you would be given the activation window and be requested to activate, but once you enter your key and press activate, the application will find the same hardware signature as on your existing activation and simply tell you "Already activated. Continue without reactivation?"

You then press yes and move on. :)

In some cases this thing can come up even though you haven't done anything to prompt it - for example if there was a registry conflict or some other reasons I won't go into (irrelevant and not applicable to users). This causes some people to think they lost an activation even though they did not. The wiki link contains resources where key status can easily be verified manually by the user, as well as applicable hardware profiles verified.

Edited by EtherealN

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

|
| Life of a Game Tester

And as a further addition, even if that registry information is killed (for example by some registry cleaner), you should still not lose an activation. In this case you would be given the activation window and be requested to activate, but once you enter your key and press activate, the application will find the same hardware signature as on your existing activation and simply tell you "Already activated. Continue without reactivation?"

You then press yes and move on. :)

The issue is the whole PC needs to be restored, as my SSID are messed up due to a server redo (along with HD failures for that server). Because of this..other applications on my PC don't function correctly, so I just restore my image...

But I loose this activation if I jsut wipe and redo.. and I'm trying not to....

Also.. 4th day now with no respose from DCS.

Thanks,

Brett

After all the putzing around.. it messed up my activation...

trying to activate again......

Automatic activation failed.

If you have no Internet connection, you can perform the activation by other means.

Failure reason: Connection to the activation server failed. Please try again later.

To obtain an error report and send it to product technical support, press the corresponding button.

This is why DRM in itself is a failure!!!

you can't authorize / authenticate...

you can't deauthorize...

C'mon DCS.. answer my support questions on the DCS support tickets!

#9798 - trying to activate

#9782 - trying to deactivate.

Thanks,

Brett