OT: The Russian Knights now have Su-35s.

8659501.jpg

A pic of one of five Su-35s the Russian Knights now use along with the Su-27S and Su-27UB.

For those in doubt, check the IFR probe. The slightly larger radome for the N-011 or Zhuk-M radar. The offset IRST ball, twin wheel nose gear and finally the tall square topped tail fins. Also the bearly visible canard leading edge.

Guest DeathAngelBR

How many Su-35 have been sent to the Russian Knights? Months ago only 3 Su-35 received the Russian Knights scheme, 2 others were still being painted.

A pic of one of five Su-35s the Russian Knights now use along with the Su-27S and Su-27UB.

Yes but they have actually had the Su-35 for quite awhile now :)

For those in doubt, check the IFR probe. The slightly larger radome for the N-011 or Zhuk-M radar.....

N011 or N011M "Bars" radar ;) . Initially the Su-35 was fitted with the NIIP-N011 planar slotted array set, but this was later replaced by the further developed N011M "Bars"(same as used on Su-30MKI), which is a phased array set. I dont know if all Su-35 recieved the new version though.

The Zhuk-M is a planar slotted array set designed by NIIR for MiG-29 versions - more specifically for the -SMT-2 upgrade, "Indian" MiG-29K(9-41) and latest version of the MiG-29M(9-25) and MiG-29M2 two-seat version.

A larger version of the Zhuk-M - called "Zhuk-MS" - is available for Su-27 versions, but this has so far only been fitted to the Su-27KUB two-seat naval combat trainer version of the Su-27K(Su-33). Some reports indicate that the Su-27KUB has recently been fitted with a further develope phased array version called "Zhuk-MSF"(added "F" indicating a phased array antenna).

I could imagine the reason for going for the Zhuk-MS or Zhuk-MSF for the Su-27KUB is due to weight concerns - these sets are reportedly considerably lighter than the N011M "Bars", which would be an important factor in connection with the naval orientation of the Su-27KUB......i.e. the ability to make short unassisted take-offs from the Kuznetsov :) .

Cheers,

- JJ.

JJ

Do these su-35:s fit a digital fly-by-wire system, uprated engines and/or the backward facing radar?

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/flankers_pages/su-27_variants.html

Well the Su-35 variant does incorporate the features you mention, but I dont know if the ones the Russian Knights operate have the full combat capability, or whether they use them exclusively for airshow purposes - i.e. whether the radars have been removed to reduce weight.

Cheers,

- JJ.

JJ