Really poor man UFC

Well, the "poor mans UFC" project title is already taken, so i need to name my attempt at UFC something else :) while the original CupPilot's input panel is great i do not see how Genovation 682 pad (120-160$!) can be treated as solution for the poor. reading about how HIDMacros with numeric kepads not working with DCS a10 ruled that path out

apparently during use of HIDMacros DCS reads both the original key and the mapped shortcut, obviously causing confusion. this is due to supposedly DCS reading the keyboard on low level and as a result hidmacros unable to lock the original key press out. I find this explanation strange. somehow TIR software can trap the F keys and prevent DCS from seeing those

and then light-bulb moment - use numeric keypads but with GPWiz controler :D

i already have another GP-Wiz40-Eco. ordered two numeric boards from amazon ,12$ shipped.

silly me thinking to find mechanical switches in those cheapies. opening the enclosures revealed lovely film contacts. quite useless. no matter, the keypad buttons themself still have nice rubber dome action and can perfectly activate tact buttons.

open it up and dremel me a 3 row kepad.

DSC_1362-vi.jpg

both cut out , glued bottom-to-bottom and painted with grey primer (wallmart, 1.12$). wooden base piece is attached as well. cutting those kepads also yealded a 5 and a 4 button rows, hmmm, almost perfect for NMSP ? :)

DSC_1363-vi.jpg

with that I apparently depleted my supply of tacts.:huh: odered some more and will continue once they a re here. unless i find dry transfer lettering of proper size i will be printing the lettering on decal paper.

Edited by agrasyuk
  • Like 1

Anton.

My pit build thread .

Simple and cheap UFC project

perhaps i posted to early without much substance to show. at this point t is not a "how to" thread but rather an "here is an idea".

ordered pack of tactile buttons. this time from US supplier so per USPS it should be here tomorrow. sanded the buttons slightly, gave it another coat, but i still didn't receive the lighted rectangular orange button for the master caution so i'm holding off on enclosure.

i was flying more then building anything these couple days - having functioning MFCDs and instruments below main screen is just magical.

Anton.

My pit build thread .

• 2 weeks later...

thanks guys. it is not to bad, but frankly i'm not 100% satisfied with that solution. besides top label riding up (somehow this was almost un-noticeable when not on picture), the looks of "skirts" on those keys does bother me more then i first thought. i will continue to pursue this, perhaps with key labels it will look better. and in any case it will be better then clicking on screen.

on the bright side the key action turned up to be quite good - when pressing the resistance is gradually increasing as the rubber dome gets squished and then there is distinctive click of tactile switch. and the entire solution will be very shallow, even with interface board.

cost till now:

pair of numerical keyboards - 12$ (amazon)

orange button from china - 6.5$ (ebay)

interface board GPWiz - 30$

paint, glue, square dowels, plywood for enclosure.

Edited by agrasyuk

Anton.

My pit build thread .

• 2 months later...

Very nice.... very very nice!!!

www.69squadrone.it

GigaByte X58A-UD7 rev 2.0 -- Intel i7 950 3.06 Ghz (OC 3.20) -- Geforce GTX 750Ti -- DDR3 Corsair 2000 mhz 12 GB -- HD SSD Crucial 1Tb --

HD WD raptor SATA2 150 GB x 10000 rpm -- Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 800 W -- Windows 7 Professional 64bit --

Hotas Cougar n° 01909 -- Hotas Warthog n° 08070 -- Console MFD self made with X-key -- Monitor DELL 24 Inch

please... please... please... let next DCS module be a F18 :worthy:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 1 year later...
DSC_1377-vi.jpg

Антон, а есть ли у тебя более детальное фото контактов?

Не могу понять каким образом они крепятся к самим кнопкам?

Это ведь контакты не родные? Не от самой клавиатуры? Обычно в любой клавиатуре контакты на плёнке. Или я ошибаюсь?