Radeon HD 7970 Inbound

I got another try earlier, I used different driver (the one the guys at shop used to test the card) and I installed 3DMark11 and it ran the benchmark without crashing... I tried A-10C again and it ran for about 3min then crashed again, this was all with BIOS set to defaults (so there is no overclocking at all)

I'm starting to suspect card overheating but it could still be the game itself.

I'm giving as last try by reinstalling windows, I want to exclude any driver leftover issues or something being corrupt, so it'll be fresh windows installation... all latest drivers... (for HD7970 I'll use driver of the CD) then I'll install ArmA and BMS so I dont have to loose another activation/deactivation for DCS (what a pain in the as*)

If ArmA and BMS play without crashing I'll install DCS... I am not very hopefull it'll work but it'll be my last try... if it still crashes then I'll have to go back to the shop and request refund or replacement card... there is no other option left for me

No longer active in DCS...

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

64 bit A-10?

Did you try 32bit?

Maybe AMD drivers do not include 64bit in beta...

The driver is specific for Windows 7 64bit so they are 64bit driver... also if it wasn't the game would not even start.

True about the game starting... But there is still 32 bit paths paths to directx even on 64bit O/S so that 32bit games can run.

But I'm still curious about the 32 bit, always a chance that AMD has a bug for 64bit games. It's not like 64bit games grow on trees, the only one they probably stress tested is Crysis 64 and I wouldn't be shocked if they haven't tested any 64bit game.. Although they should have.

But don't use up an activation, just if you're testing it anyway on 64, then try both

Edited by TAIPAN_

Pimax Crystal VR & Simpit User | Ryzen CPU & Nvidia RTX GPU | Some of my mods

The card wouldn't work in win7 64 without 64 bit drivers...

This doesn't mean there are no bugs in the driver for 64bit mode games.

It doesn't matter what the OS or driver is, fact remains most mainstream games are 32 bit executables and DCS is probably not tested by AMD because it doesn't have the 50million kiddie following that other games draw

This doesn't mean there are no bugs in the driver for 64bit mode games.

It doesn't matter what the OS or driver is, fact remains most mainstream games are 32 bit executables and DCS is probably not tested by AMD because it doesn't have the 50million kiddie following that other games draw

My point is, those games run under a translation layer, if the OS is 64bit, the drivers need to be 64 bit. Any hardware will not run with 32bit drivers under a 64bit OS. The card doesn't use 32bit drivers for a 32bit game in a 64bit OS, the OS translation layer does that.

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

Try running Furmark for about 15-20 minuites. If it runs that stable it's not the card more than likely. Also if it was overheating then a stress test or benchmark would fail before something like DCS would. Furmark will let you know if it's overheating or not, don't be surprised to see the temps climb up around 80-90c.

Just installed them in CF, working fine using driver from CD. You can give a try to : http://www2.ati.com/drivers/hotfix/radeon_7900_series/amd_radeon_hd7900_win7_64.exe (i tried catalyst 11.12 without succes, i don't think they integrated hd 7970 drivers in this release, when choosing drivers for this card on amd web site you get another page than the one for catalyst 11.12).

Try this one, it mentions its for:

"(Win 7 x64) [HD7000/HD6000/HD5000]"

AMD Catalyst 11.12 (8.921.2 December 20)

I have used these drives and they seem to work.

I've installed Windows 7 from scratch... installed all Windows updates so there are no leftovers from previous installations or drivers

Motherboard BIOS settings are all on default so there is no overclocking on anything.. and now for the first good news:

Installed original ArmA and ran the shooting training mission and it ran without a glitch. I ran it on all the highest setitngs and frames were still good. I did not use FRAPS as I just wanted to see if the game will crash.

Now I'm about to try BMS...

More good news... BMS runs flawlesly also... this time I used FRAPS to check framerate as it looked very smooth the first run... it was steady at 60fps the whole time and did not budge from it! I did not connect any of my small monitors yet as I need adapters to come first (MiniDP -> DVI -> VGA does not work)

I had all options in game set to on and highest what I could chose and it ran like champion at 60fps... granted this was fre flight only mission so no AI in it (but this would affect CPU anyway not the graphics card) so a least two of these are running good now... I am now "scared" to installed and activate DCS to try it out as I'm expecting it will crash again and bring my little joy from running ArmA and BMS back to hell :(

I'm going to try FC2 next...

Edited by Kuky

Good to hear that Kuky, we'll keep our fingers crossed!

i7-4820k @ 3.7, Windows 7 64-bit, 16GB 1866mhz EVGA GTX 970 2GB, 256GB SSD, 500GB WD, TM Warthog, TM Cougar MFD's, Saitek Combat Pedals, TrackIR 5, G15 keyboard, 55" 4K LED

DCS A-10C v1.1.1.1 is unfortunately still crashing... first 3 tries the game froze within 5-10seconds... then I reduced bushes, HDR and TSSAA to zero and OFF and reduced game window to 1280x1024 so I can see GPU-Z in background to see if the card is overheating.

With lower game resolution running in windowed mode and bushes, HDR and TSSAA all OFF the game ran few minutes but eventually crashed again... only this last time windows reported that graphics driver has crashed and successfully recovered, I guess this is what happens when game freezes then goes back to desktop (this is video driver crashing) then game reloads (video driver recovered and tried to load the game again) but then it freezes up/crashes again... so no luck with DCS A-10C or BS2 for me, at least for now.

By the way GPU-Z showed GPU was being used about 50%, memory was just over 1GB and GPU temp got up to 70-71°C and stayed there.. fan was only at about 36% so it doesn't look like crashes are because of CPU overheating... memory maybe... I might take off the heatsink and try to reseat it but I doubt that would help as after all BMS, ArmA and FC2 ran without any crashing so somehow there's something wrong with DCS graphics engine or video card driver is still crappy.

Anyway, now that I know it's not my PC causing the crash (being CPU overclocked as it's all stock now) to ED team and testers, is there anything I can provide to try narrow this crashes down to possibly something in game?

Kind of good news that all those other games work, but for DCS to not work... I hope it's not something that AMD will ignore.

Because of this I'm hesitant to make the purchase now.. not sure what to do as I need to buy something to plug my second two monitors into and Nvidia only has 2 ports.

Maybe I'll wait and see

Just installed them in CF, working fine using driver from CD. You can give a try to : http://www2.ati.com/drivers/hotfix/radeon_7900_series/amd_radeon_hd7900_win7_64.exe (i tried catalyst 11.12 without succes, i don't think they integrated hd 7970 drivers in this release, when choosing drivers for this card on amd web site you get another page than the one for catalyst 11.12).

Have you been running DCS A-10C or BS2 with this card without any issues or is your CF working fine with other titles?

Sounds like the issue I have with my TrackIR5 not working in BS2

i7-4820k @ 3.7, Windows 7 64-bit, 16GB 1866mhz EVGA GTX 970 2GB, 256GB SSD, 500GB WD, TM Warthog, TM Cougar MFD's, Saitek Combat Pedals, TrackIR 5, G15 keyboard, 55" 4K LED

Sounds like the issue I have with my TrackIR5 not working in BS2

your TrackIR is not recognised at all... this card works in DCS but driver is not stable and keeps crashing :cry:

I'me off to sleep now (3AM here)... story will continue tomorrow

Have you been running DCS A-10C or BS2 with this card without any issues or is your CF working fine with other titles?

Everythings worked fine (dcs a-10c and some other games, didn't made a lot of test considering CF with dcs a-10c but default framerate is ok) until i decided to get into troubles. I've installed latest drivers from amd web site, i now need to reboot after 5 minutes of usage. I've tried the official drivers, 12.1 preview, 12.1a preview, and actually downloading the unofficial beta. If this one doesn't work i'll fall back to drivers from the cd (wich look slower but stable).

That's strange I don't have any problems with my TrackIR5 and BS2...

Yeah, tell me about it, I'll figure it out or play it when I get a new computer or do a windows reinstall.