Trouble Landing F-15

Anyone got a track they want to share showing one how you use the ILS in landing this bird? I'm having a bitch of a time landing this aircraft. I guess I'm not reading the ILS instruments properly.

Cheers.

switch to ILS mode.

15nm be about 2k alt.

slow to 250.

10nm flaps (shift F) and Gear (g) down

Power up a bit to keep ils cross centered. (gently push it up)

use your air brake (b) only when you need to slow/drop and detract it

once your on path....

you should be dropping alt and speed - gently -.

touch down should be at approx 150knts

(don't forget to gentlu pull your nose up just before you land. - flare - )

once your on ground solid...

press the wheel brakes (k ) -

once you stop , detract flaps (ctl f)

Notice in the pic:

Speed = 165 (note engine setting)

AoA = 4deg

Rate of decent 700 ft/sec

flight path marker is right on edge of runway.

My ILS on hud is almost lined up. (the instrument below is obviously off)

I'm also a little below flight path in this shot

thecorrectwaytoland.jpg

another examplehere :

and here

Thanks,

Brett

Hhmm...interesting...I tend to stall due to my not keeping airspeed up. The instruments sure are off here but the HUD seems understandable now. You wouldn't consider making a track of your landing would you Bflagg? No need to create text or anything, just something I could watch starting with you setting up approach and work all the way through touch down.

From what I gather from everyone and the pictures, you really need to land the aircraft with a slightly nose up attitude. Gets rather confusing because your eyes keep telling yourself it is wrong. :)

Thanks for advice...will be doing some practice.

yes.. never believe you eyes.. watch your instruments...

I have to reinstall Lomac (been having PC problems of late..).. but if your stalling

using full flaps, gear down, and brake on.. you can power thru the stall by applying

a bit of power from the engines...(not too much or you'll gain alt...)..

One of the first things I learned from Janes F15 some 200 years ago.. is once your flight profile is set, (ie...lined up..flaps, etc..), you control your flight profile, just by moving the throttle up or down (slightly/gently). You really don't need to use the joystick, if anything, just a little for small corrections.

It takes a bit of practice...

thanks crustry for the typo catch...700's/sec ...man that is fast!

a good training mission is to set up a mission with the weather is all buggered up,

fog so thick, you'll think your at lakenheath (U.K.) and you can't see doo doo outside.

NOW fly your jet , using instruments alone.... you will crash alot, especially since the

ILS is a bit off from HUD to instruments below, but by then you should be able to visually acquire the runway (<= .5 nm)

My understanding in real life, this not attempted to land in these conditions and the flight is diverted elsewhere. But this is good practice nontheless.

The point to this little setup is to make it easier to setup / lineup under good conditions.

Next thing you know , it's nearly second nature.

Thanks,

Brett

You want to set up at 300' per nm distance from the runway.

So at 10nm, you should be at 3000' higher than the runway altitude. Your speed should be 240 kts at this time (practice holding yoru speed and anticipating speed changes with throttle transitions and flap/gear operation).

Put the the FPM right on the beginnign of the runway: it should be more or less between the horizon and -5deg pitch lines.

You want to slow down to about 150-160 kts (or slower, it really depends on your weight - basically you wanna slow down to a speed wheren the FPM falls under teh Water/wing marker - the W on hthe HUD) and maintain that until close to the runway. When almost touched down, flare (pull the nose up) so that the FPM comes up near the horizon line (but not right on it, you still want downwards motions)

You should touch down at about 125-130 kts. When the wheels hit the runway, gently nudge the stick forward to prevent bouncing, then restore position.

Don't let the W go over the +10 deg pitch line if you can help it though, you will suffer tailstrike at +14deg or so.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Here is the Track Files .

Landing in Good weather...

Landing in bad... ( I chase the ILS a bit near the end....)

I ride a little low and slide into the glide path...

usually 1000 ft for 2nm out...

It took a bit to reconfig my machine... (when I added rain for bad weather, I would get graphic loss, so I had to remove rain...)

Thanks,

Brett

Here is the Track Files .

Landing in Good weather...

Landing in bad... ( I chase the ILS a bit near the end....)

I ride a little low and slide into the glide path...

usually 1000 ft for 2nm out...

It took a bit to reconfig my machine... (when I added rain for bad weather, I would get graphic loss, so I had to remove rain...)

Thanks...will take a look at them sometime today and start practicing as well.

Don't forget the effects of a full weapons load and fuel. The weapons cause a considerable drag while approaching at low speed and the amount of fuel needs to be compensated by some extra speed.

It is quite different to land a plane clean with only some 2000 lbs of fuel or fully loaded with all the tanks full !

For the MiG29, the landing speed therefore varies between 250 - 280 km/h, for the Eagle I would say clean with almost empty tanks 150 kts should be OK, while with lots of fuel and full weapons, 170 kts would be necessary.

Too low speed while on final makes a heavy aircraft slow in reactions....

kind regards,

Raven....

[sigpic]http://www.crc-mindreader.de/CRT/images/Birds2011.gif[/sigpic]

• 2 weeks later...
well...now that you bumped it... how are you doing now?

Did the track files help you?

Absolutely helped and thanks again. I've been practicing over and over in a simple daylight mission I created and now have moved to a night time one with viturally no visibility in it. Lots of fun! :D

I will make a track file a bit later then the teacher may grade the student. ;)

Check six!

Cheers.

s77th goya, offered to help me, but due to family, work and PC problems, I couldn't

take him up on his offer back then....

I've been playing lockon since it first came out....the thing is I know what it is I'm trying to do, but online, it always appears that the opponent can do it sooner, or

always magically avoids my incomming no matter the distance, then do "it" to me.

I've heard everything from aspect angles, closure rates, missle type and radar type selected...whatever...and it always seems I can't get it to work.

it's quite frustrating....but what the hell, I'm still young....

Thanks,

Brett

s77th goya, offered to help me, but due to family, work and PC problems, I couldn't

take him up on his offer back then....

I've been playing lockon since it first came out....the thing is I know what it is I'm trying to do, but online, it always appears that the opponent can do it sooner, or

always magically avoids my incomming no matter the distance, then do "it" to me.

I've heard everything from aspect angles, closure rates, missle type and radar type selected...whatever...and it always seems I can't get it to work.

it's quite frustrating....but what the hell, I'm still young....

LOL...I know the feeling. There are people who play this sim who really understand the tactics of air combat and know how to use them within the constraints of the sim. Many, including GOYA work extremely well with their mounts, particularly when they work as a member of a multi-person team. I have learned that you will rarley (as I suspect in real air combat) survive a team of opponents attacking you.

I've learned this through GOYA shooting me down plenty of times for sure. :)

I've also learned that I actually do pretty good online when I take it easy, not rush into the fight and fight the fight my way, fight it on my terms utilizing the strengths and being cognizant of the weaknesses of my current mount of choice. Sometimes the best tactic is to run away set yourself up again or run away and lead your opponent to your own base's SAM system. Bring the balance back into your favor as opposed to you by yourself with a less capable aircraft against two very good opponents.