iControl DCS - iPad Virtual Cockpit

boarder2

when you go into VC server on your pc, go to tools, Display Configeration and place where you want the screens to be. Then save, update scripts and choose the new screen res in config inside dcs world. Then you are all good to go mate.

been using this since its come out and must say its great. cant think of flying with anything else, unless i finally get my touchscreen monitor and helios setup ive been after.

Cowboy10uk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fighter pilots make movies, Attack pilots make history, Helicopter pilots make heros.

:pilotfly: Corsair 570x Crystal Case, Intel 8700K O/clocked to 4.8ghz, 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 MHZ Ram, 2 x 1TB M2 drives, 2 x 4TB Hard Drives, Nvidia EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW, Maximus x Hero MB, H150i Cooler, 6 x Corsair LL120 RGB Fans And a bloody awful Pilot :doh:

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Cowboy, but I don't quite understand.

I can place the screens where I want via the VC Server - tools - display Config.....and save it all..but I don't want them on the main monitor screen.....I want them on the iPad.

What do you mean by 'Choose the new screen res in config inside DCS World'?

also, I assume that I am correct to select 'VC Server as my 'Monitor' in 'Options' in DCS World.

Thanks for patience in any answer!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

:pilotfly:

• 4 months later...
Thanks Cowboy, but I don't quite understand.

I can place the screens where I want via the VC Server - tools - display Config.....and save it all..but I don't want them on the main monitor screen.....I want them on the iPad.

What do you mean by 'Choose the new screen res in config inside DCS World'?

also, I assume that I am correct to select 'VC Server as my 'Monitor' in 'Options' in DCS World.

Thanks for patience in any answer!

Hi mate did you find an answer to this? Just got iControl and am having your exact same problems.

Thanks

Intel i5 4670 | GTX 970 | 8 gb Ram | Windows 10

Thrustmaster Warthog | Saitek Rudders | Logitech G27 | Astro A40

• 3 weeks later...

Boarder mate, iControl has stopped working in 1.2.4. Well I say its stopped working - it says its connected but no data seems to be getting through to it. Any ideas?

MSI M5 z270 | Intel i5 7600k (OC) 4.8GHz | MSI GTX1080ti Gaming X 11Gb | 500gb Samsung 970 Evo NVME M.2 (DCS World) | 500gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD (OS and Apps) | 32Gb 2400MHz DDR4 - Crucial Ballistix | Be Quiet Silent Loop 240mm | NZXT H440 case |

Thrustmaster Warthog - 47608 with Virpil Mongoose joystick base | MFG Crosswinds - 1241 | Westland Lynx collective with Bodnar X board | Pilot's seat from ZH832 Merlin | JetSeat | Oculus Rift S | Windows 10 | VA |

Boarder mate, iControl has stopped working in 1.2.4. Well I say its stopped working - it says its connected but no data seems to be getting through to it. Any ideas?

You may need to update the scripts again from the tools menu. I briefly tested with 1.2.4 and everything seems to work fine on my end. If it still isn't working, drop me a line at http://support.bit-shift.com/

iControl DCS/DCS Virtual Cockpit - Full featured iPad Cockpit - Now with Android support!

A10 Virtual Cockpit Free - Free limited functionality version of iControl DCS!

DCS Virtual Cockpit - Android version!

Follow on Twitter for all the latest news

Tried it again and seems to be working, thanks. Actually it seems to hang every now and then - not a biggie, just means I have to close it down and start it up again which takes a few seconds. Is this the issue it has with Helios running at the same time? Helios crashes sometimes with iConrol on too

MSI M5 z270 | Intel i5 7600k (OC) 4.8GHz | MSI GTX1080ti Gaming X 11Gb | 500gb Samsung 970 Evo NVME M.2 (DCS World) | 500gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD (OS and Apps) | 32Gb 2400MHz DDR4 - Crucial Ballistix | Be Quiet Silent Loop 240mm | NZXT H440 case |

Thrustmaster Warthog - 47608 with Virpil Mongoose joystick base | MFG Crosswinds - 1241 | Westland Lynx collective with Bodnar X board | Pilot's seat from ZH832 Merlin | JetSeat | Oculus Rift S | Windows 10 | VA |

Crazy high! it's only about £20 I think. Nowt really. I spent £60 on dinner last night with the wife and kids and that was for only 2 hours. Was that worth it? Course it was. But spending a few quid for something that will keep me happy for another few YEARS then it's well worth it. I certainly think it's worth the price and I only use the cdu on my iPad mini.

Vodka, if u wanna display mfcd/ufc, swipe 2 fingers on the caution light panel down. Remember, this is ur base screen. Left swipe to engine controls/ahcp, up swipe to cdu. Cheers

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

Is it, not sure. I only only bought an ipad for iControl!

@ Comrade and NhiTrac. if you don't want to make your resolution smaller on your main monitor then you have to drag and drop the items you require onto another monitor - not the ipad. Then update config etc. You can buy 15 or 17 in monitors for the price of a kebab these days. Not sure about a virtual monitor though, never looked into that.

• 2 months later...

This app is TRULY amazing. I bought the app today and I have been playing around with it for a few hours and it is already becoming second nature for me to reach over to the iPad to use the MFCD's and during startup for all of the other instruments this app allows you to access.

Boarder, this app is absolutely fantastic, thanks for your hard work. For everyone who is complaining about the price, it is TOTALLY worth it. For people who spend $400+ on HOTAS and track IR setups, this app is an absolute bargain. Boarder has obviously put a lot of work in to this app and it really shows. It took me 10 minutes to get the app set up and working perfectly (and I am mentally in a vegetative state if that tells you anything)! This isn't something you will buy, try once, and never use again. I can already tell I am gonna be using it every time I fly a sortie.

Also, my meager computer doesn't have a polygon-smashing $500 video card, so I was pretty surprised to see ZERO performance impact. I figured I would lose an average of 10FPS minimum but I actually haven't had any negative performance impact.

The only negative thing about it is you need to actually display the MFCD's on a monitor. Fortunately it can be a virtual (not visible) monitor, which works great, but it is an extra step. However, this is not something Boarder could do, this is a restriction in DCS itself.

Edited by Night

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Nvidia GTX Titan Pascal - i7 6700K - 960 Pro 512GB NVMe SSD - 32GB DDR4 Corsair - Corsair PSU - Saitek x52 Pro - Custom FreeTrack IR Setup - iControl for DCS

Night,

I'm thinking of purchasing the app myself. I have a question, when you said that you have to display the mfcd on a monitor, do you mean that you cannot "turn" off the display in your virtual cockpit while having them only display on the ipad, and that there is a work around in order to do that?

Miguel

i7-4790k stock 4.4 / gtx 980ti / 16gb ram / 256gb ssd (os) / 256gb ssd for apps / Acer XB27OHU 27" g-sync

Night,

I'm thinking of purchasing the app myself. I have a question, when you said that you have to display the mfcd on a monitor, do you mean that you cannot "turn" off the display in your virtual cockpit while having them only display on the ipad, and that there is a work around in order to do that?

Miguel

If you have a look at the video here

Way on the left side of the furthest left monitor you'll see the MFCDs are repeated. They have to be exported that way in order for me to grab them and display them on the iPad. ED doesn't give us any other way to get that data, unfortunately.

If you're using Windows 7, lots of people have had success creating a virtual (fake) display that you can export everything to and it won't show up on a monitor. Otherwise you can just stick them on the extreme corners of your real monitors.

And as always, feel free to try out A-10 VC Free before you buy iControl DCS. It'll give you a feel for how it works. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/a10-virtual-cockpit-free/id484354291

iControl DCS/DCS Virtual Cockpit - Full featured iPad Cockpit - Now with Android support!

Night,

Miguel

To add on to what boarder said, basically a virtual display is a fake display. It makes Windows think that you have another display plugged in while you actually don't. This is useful if you don't want two extra MFCD's taking up real estate on your monitor. Here is a post that shows you how to do this:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=1196165&postcount=42

Note that it isn't officially supported by Boarder, the app developer. But doing it this way works great for me. I just created a fake 1024x768 display and put the MFCD's and CDU on there.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Nvidia GTX Titan Pascal - i7 6700K - 960 Pro 512GB NVMe SSD - 32GB DDR4 Corsair - Corsair PSU - Saitek x52 Pro - Custom FreeTrack IR Setup - iControl for DCS

I have to say that the price of the app is well worth the enjoyment you get out of being able to have the touch screen and all the added switches. I have two iPads running the app and switch back and forth as needed.

Install to both iPads was a snap and never a hiccup with them working. I honestly don't understand why the price would be a factor for anyone.

John

• 2 months later...

Hi guys, trying to figure out the best way of getting my MFCD's somewhere I can see and interact with them. This Ipad app seems like the ideal option, one question though, before i go messing with virtual monitors and such like, is there any performance advantage to using a virtual monitor instead of a real one ? i have a 1440x900 that I can use for the MFCD's.

Thanks in advance guys.

Edit:i also have a spare video card lying about, would there be any advantage of using it to power the second monitor display? Or is it even possible ?

Thanks again.

Edited by Redlinebuzz

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi guys, trying to figure out the best way of getting my MFCD's somewhere I can see and interact with them. This Ipad app seems like the ideal option, one question though, before i go messing with virtual monitors and such like, is there any performance advantage to using a virtual monitor instead of a real one ? i have a 1440x900 that I can use for the MFCD's.

Thanks in advance guys.

Edit:i also have a spare video card lying about, would there be any advantage of using it to power the second monitor display? Or is it even possible ?

Thanks again.

No, there's no performance advantage to using a virtual monitor.

There would also be no advantage to using a second video card since the sim has to run in windowed mode which will disable Crossfire or SLI - assuming they're the same card. If they're not then it won't do any good at all.

The easiest way to get stuff set up would be using a second physical monitor attached to the same video card as your primary monitor. If you wanted to use the virtual display that's an option too but I don't support it and I believe it won't work with Windows 8 since they changed what drivers can do as far as making software displays.

Anyway, I highly suggest you try out the free app first and make sure it works well for you before taking the plunge on the paid version. GL and Happy Flying :pilotfly: If you need any help let me know @ support.bit-shift.com

• 2 weeks later...

Im willing to buy this app. Im concern about it messing with my multimonitor configuration. Im using now a 3 monitor setup, cockpit view in the center, L MFD on left monitor and R MFD on right monitor.

Is it compatible with moltimontors ? Do i have to change graphiconfig.lua? Is easy to uninstall and roll back Any changes made by this application?

Is it running fine on IOS 7?

Thanks Boarder2, Jorge.

AKA TANGO-117. DCS Modules: ALL. I7 6700k @ 4.9 GHz / 32 GB DDR4 @ 3.2 GHz / 950 Pro m.2 + 4xSSDs / Gigabyte 1080TI 11 GB OC / 48" 4K Curved Samsung TV / TM Warthog Hotas / TM TPR rudder pedals / Track IR. Private pilot and sailplane pilot in RL.

Im willing to buy this app. Im concern about it messing with my multimonitor configuration. Im using now a 3 monitor setup, cockpit view in the center, L MFD on left monitor and R MFD on right monitor.

Is it compatible with moltimontors ? Do i have to change graphiconfig.lua? Is easy to uninstall and roll back Any changes made by this application?

Is it running fine on IOS 7?

Thanks Boarder2, Jorge.

You would be able to do that same configuration. Here's a video explaining how to set up the upcoming version of DCS VC Server (It's not searchable yet so you'll have to go directly to the link)

As far as uninstalling, it's not super easy. There are some manual steps, but the instructions are in the FAQ point 6 here: http://bit-shift.com/a10vcserver/index.html#faq

iControl DCS does work on iOS 7, however there's a known problem with the manual server entry dialogs. Generally you won't need this since auto discovery works for just about everyone :)

If you're wanting to use it on iOS feel free to try the free version linked in my sig first!

So i have question/ problem. Today at say 1600 i had no problems i come back at 1900 and can no longer connect to the server. Nothing was changed in that time except maybe an automatic itunes update but cant be sure. It seems like the server isnt connecting to my network. Any thoughts?

My Setup:

HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Combat Pro Rudders, Trackir 5, i Control w/ipad, powered by Alienware Aurora ALX i7 3930k oc 4.2, dual 980s, 16gb Ram.

So i have question/ problem. Today at say 1600 i had no problems i come back at 1900 and can no longer connect to the server. Nothing was changed in that time except maybe an automatic itunes update but cant be sure. It seems like the server isnt connecting to my network. Any thoughts?

I'd say make sure nothing changed on your PC. Still connected to the same network, have a valid IP address, etc.

I think you opened a support ticket too? I'll get back to you on that later tonight if you're not able to get it worked out. It does seem like something that's probably with your network configuration though. The apps definitely didn't change :)

IP address and everything is same old. if there is a service for the server i cannot see it.

EDIT: ok so i uninstalled/reinstalled etc per the FAQ and restarted as appropriate and nothing worked. No kidding was really pissed. I tried to click on the red dot in the program to use bonjour however that didnt work, it also said to manually enter the IP and port but that isnt an option. So after being really annoyed i said F it maybe there is an IOS update screwing with it. SO sure as poop IOS7.0.3 or whatever is waiting. I update it and bam instant connection. So problem solved. I tunes was updated sometime yesterday and i figure there is some sort of connection with bonjour somehow that was preventing the server to talk with the ipad. Anyways that was my fix incase anybody else develops a random lost connection.

Edited by FUgaijin

My Setup:

HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Combat Pro Rudders, Trackir 5, i Control w/ipad, powered by Alienware Aurora ALX i7 3930k oc 4.2, dual 980s, 16gb Ram.